what is Plushes reputation among his peers? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

what is Plushes reputation among his peers?

Nadine

Record Breaker
Interesting, I think it's a competitive thing, after all an athlete never loses that competitveness, lol. :laugh:

Seriously, I think I recall that Evgeni was invited to do SOI, but instead opted to create his own tour in Europe called "KINGS ON ICE", how apropos, and he invited his good friend Stephane Lambiel to tour with him. :love:

My only regret is that I've never had the privilege to attend one of Evgeni's shows because they are in Europe exclusively.

Btw, I've been thinking a lot about what Evgeni stated recently, about how America needs a figure skating champion because skating is dying out or has died out here in the USA. Something else about $$$$ & ABC. There's a lot of truth in his statement. I'm sure Evan will fill the seats up in SOI, and fatten Scottie's pockets at the same time, lol. It's all business.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Seriously, I think I recall that Evgeni was invited to do SOI, but instead opted to create his own tour in Europe called "KINGS ON ICE", how apropos, and he invited his good friend Stephane Lambiel to tour with him. :love:

My only regret is that I've never had the privilege to attend one of Evgeni's shows because they are in Europe exclusively.

Plushenko toured for a while with Averbuch show, meanwhile there was the "skating with the stars" Russian edition (and that took the whole autumn), with the post-skating with the star russian tour (in winter). then he left averbuch and started his own tour in Russia (only a few shows were outside russia, in Budapest, Czech Republic and perhaps once in Germany).
I guess he didn't have time for SOI.
(also he was deputee-sorry I don't know the right word- in St. Petersburgh, I think it was a lot of time also this).

I could attend some shows with him in Italy: after Torino he was very famous here, practically he and Carolina Kostner (obviously!) were the only two skaters known also to non skating fans. When I show him live, the public would get crazy every time he skated.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Plushenko toured with Champions on Ice several times, and I never heard of any of his fellow skaters saying a bad word about him.

I saw him several times in person in the Campbell's and Marshall's cheesefests. He was the soul of gallantry toward all the ladies in the show,and appeared to be on friendly enough terms with the guys. With the audience he seemed friendly but a little shy (his English wasn't so good back then as it is now.)

I wonder if that opinion will remain the same this season?

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
....Btw, I've been thinking a lot about what Evgeni stated recently, about how America needs a figure skating champion because skating is dying out or has died out here in the USA. Something else about $$$$ & ABC. There's a lot of truth in his statement. I'm sure Evan will fill the seats up in SOI, and fatten Scottie's pockets at the same time, lol. It's all business.

I am glad that you brought this up, Nadine. In private, I predicted that Evan would probably win this time, because I thought Cinquanta had figured out that the U.S. TV audience, like other TV audiences, gets more interested in figure skating when their country has medallists, especially gold medallists. At one point, if I recall correctly, Cinquanta indicated, when questioned by the press, that he had big Asian audiences now, so he was not so concerned about the loss of the U.S. TV audience. I think he thought about it some more, though, and realized that the high income level from sponsors of U.S. TV could be regained, if the U.S. had at least one big winner in figure skating at the 2010 Olympics. For various reasons, the most logical place to help that idea along was in the men's discipline. And so, I expected the result that would help the ISU financially. The results have certainly been convenient for the financial interests, and I suppose that the ISU could see that as helping figure skating itself.

nastasi1212

Rinkside
I am glad that you brought this up, Nadine. In private, I predicted that Evan would probably win this time, because I thought Cinquanta had figured out that the U.S. TV audience, like other TV audiences, gets more interested in figure skating when their country has medallists, especially gold medallists. At one point, if I recall correctly, Cinquanta indicated, when questioned by the press, that he had big Asian audiences now, so he was not so concerned about the loss of the U.S. TV audience. I think he thought about it some more, though, and realized that the high income level from sponsors of U.S. TV could be regained, if the U.S. had at least one big winner in figure skating at the 2010 Olympics. For various reasons, the most logical place to help that idea along was in the men's discipline. And so, I expected the result that would help the ISU financially. The results have certainly been convenient for the financial interests, and I suppose that the ISU could see that as helping figure skating itself.

I totally AGREE!!

parasolka

Rinkside
Yes, right! Plushy himself just next day after l.p. came up with it. He said the ABC used to pay Speedy 22 billions a year for tv broadcast, but now it only 6 billions due to low tv ratings. So U.S. needed this OGM badly and they have got it. So are any kind of ice show.

Mafke

Medalist
Yes, right! Plushy himself just next day after l.p. came up with it. He said the ABC used to pay Speedy 22 billions a year for tv broadcast, but now it only 6 billions due to low tv ratings. So U.S. needed this OGM badly and they have got it.

I'm pretty amazed at Plushenko's reactions. I cant ever remember a skater ever making so many ill-advised public statements after not winning. Usually sakters who think they've been done wrong say diplomatic things and let others do the 'wuz robbed' talk. But Plusehnko has actually led the charge here. I can't help but think a) he's not going to change anybody's mind b) he's going to end up regretting some of the things he's said.

I've never been a fan but previously I did respect him (and his comeback effort). Now .... he's displaced Surya Bonaly on my all time worst loser (with bronze medalist is Stojko in 98).