Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

ademption

Rinkside
My dream would be for Takahashi to be at the top of the podium tomorrow night. I love his skating expressiveness. I of course love his footwork sequences. I also can't help but love his cute smile.

I hope that he skates a clean program. Yes, I know based upon past experience that it's probably not likely. But this is the Olympics and anything can happen. Perhaps DT has a Paul Wylie moment and skates the program of his life. That would be sweet!!

I know a lot of people (Brian Boitano on the Terry Gannon show included) think that it's a mistake for Daisuke to try the quad but I think I understand his strategy. He performs both his triple axle/triple axel combo before the halfway mark and does no triple/triple combos. I guess he has stamina issues and can't perform all of those jumps in the last half like he used to do before his injury. I think if he performs the quad, it will give DT a little extra edge against Evan. Without it, if both DT and Evan skate clean, I guess the judges would place Evan higher than DT based on the judging last night. If DT wants to get a gold/silver, he will have to pull out all the stops and perform the quad. DT just needs to go for it. If he fails to do the quad, then he will always wonder what if.

It's a risk, but then I also think that Evan not performing the quad is also a risk. Given that he's first in the skate order, he has no idea if his competitors that get good PCS scores will perform the quad and have a clean program. Evan has a cautious strategy that conventional wisdom might think is ok. He's assuming that the skaters below him that have great PCS scores won't have clean programs and the quad. But what if he's wrong? What if one of his competitors has the skate of his life including the quad? Did Frank Carroll give Evan this bad advice? I'm guessing so, based upon what happened to Michelle Kwan especially in 1998, when she skated very cautiously without the more difficult triple-triple combos that Tara L performed. Could this be deja vu all over again for one of Frank Carroll's students? I guess we'll have to find out which strategy is the best tomorrow--Evan's or Daisuke's.

I admire the fact that Daisuke is planning to throw everything but the kitchen sink into his program tomorrow. I wish that he added more triple-triple combos to his programs and more jumps after the halfway mark, but the program is what it is. Too late to change it now. I also wish that he receives his season best on the marks tomorrow night. Skating clean+season best scores=happy ademption.

I hope that all of the men, especially all of the men in the final flight, skate clean with a lot of passion. All things being equal, I think Daisuke would still have the edge over everybody with his quad and PCS scores and earn the gold. But whoever gets the gold tomorrow, I hope they earn it with a clean skate. Think Brian Boitano at Calgary. That would be the ultimate!!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
why do so many people here criticize lambiel?

i know he couldnt jump 3A, and he got little bit high PCS.
but he have been leading the men's figure skate field for a couple of years.
i think he was fairly judged and wll have the chance to get a medal.

It's not that Lambiel is bad, it's that a lot of the other men were better (Oda, Chan, Weir, Kozuka, Brezina - all of them IMO) and scored lower. Stephane has good spins and footwork but he only did a 2a and his 4t-2t was very rough, none of his jumps had good flow, and he looked awkward during most of the performance IMO. The music and the costume did not help bring out the beautiful side of Lambiel either. There were moments of that program that were very nice, but overall, I don't think he deserved that score.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
not happy about Evan's placement... he's not going to have a chance to really strategise... he won't know what the others pull out of their hat... *sigh*

hopefully he skates lights out like in Torinos LP and is clean and polished... as long as he's on the podium I'm good...

moscow

Rinkside
I think plushy will still take the gold. Without a quad I don't think Evan has a great chance at the gold unless plushy screws up. Not to mention the other top men that will more than likely do the quad after Evan has already skated. They are so close in points it really can be anybody's game. I don't see Takahashi skating clean, so my money is on Oda. If Evan skates clean I think he'll walk away with the bronze, silver at best. I can see Lambiel screwing up leaving room for Johnny if he skates clean. If Johnny does skate clean with a quad I could easily see him in Bronze medal position if Takahashi fails to put out a great program (which I think could be very likely). Oda is very consistent which is why I believe he'll be on the podium but there's no way the judges will give it to him over plushy. And the pressure is all on Evan and if he's so well trained then he'll put out a clean program and hope that the others don't. Also I don't see Chan moving up any more than a spot or two unless Lambiel really screws up. I think the nerves are getting to chan and he didn't look very comfortable in the short. Johnny is in a very good spot right now, he knows he's not favored to win a medal and I honestly think he just wants to skate a program he can be proud of and that seemed to have taken alot of the pressure off. I'd also like to see Jeremy have the skate of his life and atleast move up into the top 8. I guess we will see but that's my two cents.

Predicting podium
Gold- Plushy
Silver-Oda
Bronze- Evan or Lambiel

Dream podium
Gold-Takahashi
Silver- Johnny
Bronze Lambiel

* Here's to hoping Johnny has a Paul Wylie moment!

ARipp42014

Medalist
Final tweets of the night...

Johnny: It was a great day. Ksenia has arrived to the village! Looking forward to the competition tomorrow. I just want to fly.
Evan: Thanks to everyone for all your support. Practice felt good today. Trying to stay calm!!! Eating a delich steak... RARE. Protein baby!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Evan: Thanks to everyone for all your support. Practice felt good today. Trying to stay calm!!! Eating a delich steak... RARE. Protein baby!

OMG we're meant to be. Man after my own heart! :love: a true carnivore!

yangjie

On the Ice
It's not that Lambiel is bad, it's that a lot of the other men were better (Oda, Chan, Weir, Kozuka, Brezina - all of them IMO) and scored lower. Stephane has good spins and footwork but he only did a 2a and his 4t-2t was very rough, none of his jumps had good flow, and he looked awkward during most of the performance IMO. The music and the costume did not help bring out the beautiful side of Lambiel either. There were moments of that program that were very nice, but overall, I don't think he deserved that score.

i see. but i think landing a quad are technically more diffucult than lading 3a, and chan &kozuka made some mistake too. so lambiel deserve that score.
as for the weir and brezina, i agree with you. they were better than lambiel.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It's a risk, but then I also think that Evan not performing the quad is also a risk. Given that he's first in the skate order, he has no idea if his competitors that get good PCS scores will perform the quad and have a clean program. Evan has a cautious strategy that conventional wisdom might think is ok. He's assuming that the skaters below him that have great PCS scores won't have clean programs and the quad. But what if he's wrong? What if one of his competitors has the skate of his life including the quad? Did Frank Carroll give Evan this bad advice? I'm guessing so, based upon what happened to Michelle Kwan especially in 1998, when she skated very cautiously without the more difficult triple-triple combos that Tara L performed. Could this be deja vu all over again for one of Frank Carroll's students? I guess we'll have to find out which strategy is the best tomorrow--Evan's or Daisuke's.

It is a risk either way. I think was having trouble with the quad all year, or else we would have seen it sooner than Nationals. Who knows when was the last time he tried one, and he has not tried one since he arrived in Vancouver. Even if he was healthy and training them, his track record of landing them clean is not that great. Not having the quad did not hurt him in the SP. Plushy will do one, we all know that. But Evan is very capable of doing a 100% clean skate if he does not do the quad. I am behind Frank and Evan on this decision, but Evan keeps saying he wants to skate with no regrets. If he misses winning because of lack of quad I think he will spend years asking himself "what if?" In that repsect, I almost wish he would just go for it, even if that mean self-destruction.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it was noticed he injured his foot practicing the quad this past summer/fall during the coverage last night IIRC. (or was it early this morning during the chat with Paul Wylie and Kristi Yamaguchi? it's all a blur now)... so it doesn't surprise me he's gun shy. I wish he'd go for it... but I don't think they'd give him the same credit that Jeff Buttle got four years ago (yes I'm still bitter)

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
He performs both his triple axle/triple axel combo before the halfway mark and does no triple/triple combos. I guess he has stamina issues and can't perform all of those jumps in the last half like he used to do before his injury.

His second 3A is moved to the second half of the program now.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'm sorry, but after seeing Plushenko in his interviews and in the stands, he just seems like and arrogant a@@hole

Plushenko is still doing the same boring programs he skated when he was competing against Alexei.

He lacks Yagudin's passion, fire, artistry and musical interpretation. All he does is skate to the same type of programs and wave his arms around.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Plushenko always had great extension on his camel spins, and he used to perform the rare donut/catch-foot and biellmann spins before going the masculine route.

Oh, so that's why there's no more biellman spin? That's a pity, because I always thought his biellma spins were so cool! Oh well, there's always Denis Ten who can do them too!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

I have understood that Evan´s strategy is based on his health. He has a fracture, which does not stand practicing the quad. If he jumps that in the freeskate, he may even not be able to continue his programme till the end. Anyway, it was Kwan´s father who told her to skate cautiously in Nagano and not Carroll!!!

Bennett

Record Breaker
It is a risk either way. I think was having trouble with the quad all year, or else we would have seen it sooner than Nationals. Who knows when was the last time he tried one, and he has not tried one since he arrived in Vancouver. Even if he was healthy and training them, his track record of landing them clean is not that great. Not having the quad did not hurt him in the SP. Plushy will do one, we all know that. But Evan is very capable of doing a 100% clean skate if he does not do the quad. I am behind Frank and Evan on this decision, but Evan keeps saying he wants to skate with no regrets. If he misses winning because of lack of quad I think he will spend years asking himself "what if?" In that repsect, I almost wish he would just go for it, even if that mean self-destruction.

That's pretty much what Takahshi is doing. Considering Takahashi's consistency, I think Evan is more logical in his decision. But by going for the safer way, it may feel that it pays off only if he skates cleanly. Yet, doing what's not consistent can lead to the Miki Ando Torino moment and his program can fall apart in other parts of the program even if he lands the quad.

Last edited:

chiocciola

On the Ice
It's nonsense...he lacks it now...I dunno what you think of artistry, but it's Yagudin who was always cleaner but less artistic, memories fade... Plushy was ahead of evrb in artstic impression and program components, remember how many funny or tragic masterpieces he had...

You get wrong interviews or cut and made up interviews, I have never ever heard a bad word from him... Right now he thinks the judging was fair but he does not name himself a favourite, he said there are many skaters capable of capturing gold. From his interview you get an impression that he's very tired and is unlikely to shoot! It'd the hardest Olympic, I'm ageing, it's becomming more and more difficult to perform etc.

Personally I doubt he's going to be clean and win, but it's not only about free skate, I truly believe that this short program music and choreography is a huge mistake, the music was so slow and monotonous, if only he had chosen something faster he would have shown better footwork and emotions and get better results.

I do not name any favourites, the cleanest will win, I doubt anybody except Plushy will risk and jump quads so everyone is equal and Plushy's advantage in Tes will be compensated by others good PCS.

Big Deal

Final Flight
What kind of sportmanship was when Plushenko has finished his SP he pulled out his unvisible sword in the middle of the rink, lifted up and put it back to his belt with a carriaage of a war hero. Almost like saying " I've killed them all right now!! " It was nothing to do with a respect of the other competitors just a part of his self-advertising circus like circulating in the middle of the rink minutes after he was called to start his programs. He also never missed not to have a final position in the end of a program (like he did also in Torino), just circulating around the rink for about 1 minute or more before a bow, celebrating himself. His overwhelmed pride and "narcism" also avoid him to pay attention to any kind of musics during his programs nowdays. He just don't care.Ughhhhh.

I really would like to see him lose because of his bad sportmanship!

I never thought I will wish someone to lose in my life, I've never did it before!

Last edited by a moderator:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Plushenko always had great extension on his camel spins, and he used to perform the rare donut/catch-foot and biellmann spins before going the masculine route.

God, are you people kidding me?

Ever considered that he might not do those positions anymore because he is kind of old? It's possible that those positions took a great toll on his body, very possible actually.

Lysacek takes out the Quad because of his health and that's so great of him and sensible. But if Plushenko takes something out, it's because he is e-v-i-l and wants to convert skating into a masculine X-games competition.

^^^^^

Artistry is such a battered word around here. Every fan sees their favorite with 'artistry', The better descriptive word should be Presentation.

Plushenko has a certain style which he presents to the judges and public as does each skater in the competition. Some skaters enhance their presentation each season. I have not seen that in Plushenko this season. For me, he skates in a very heavy way that each element (particularly jumps) shows technique. he does this very well but I have yet to see him dance in his programs. For others, his jumping prowess obliterates any sort of connection to the music. At the beginning of his program, he will crossover in circles for his main 3 jump executions with drum rolls which catch the eye of Scot Hamiton and his legion of fans. But is that choreographically artistry? It is point-getting, and so why not? It's the same as other Sports which do not use music.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Evgeni dropped the bielman after 2005 worlds and the double hernia, this was the last time i saw him doing it. After surgery that year he continued to do the donut but it was not as before and it made my heart hurt as I felt pain watching it. I doubt his body can do it now otherwise he would do it in his spins.

What kind of sportmanship was when Plushenko has finished his SP he pulled out his unvisible sword in the middle of the rink, lifted up and put it back to his belt with a carriaage of a war hero. Almost like saying " I've killed them all right now!! " It was nothing to do with a respect of the other competitors just a part of his self-advertising circus like circulating in the middle of the rink minutes after he was called to start his programs. He also never missed not to have a final position in the end of a program (like he did also in Torino), just circulating around the rink for about 1 minute or more before a bow, celebrating himself. His overwhelmed pride and "narcism" also avoid him to pay attention to any kind of musics during his programs nowdays. He just don't care.Ughhhhh.

I never thought I will wish someone to lose in my life, I've never did it before!

Huh???
-Maybe he did the sword like I did my business I skated clean I m happy??? Or whatever?? He did it to intimidate 2 groups after him?LOL
-Plush skates circles before cause a skater has ONE minute from ISU to prepare for his program maybe???Plush has taken all this minute since he was 15 years old to concentrate..you blame a skater of what he does before a program as his preparation??
he took a one minute to celebrate after???He celebrated after sp and I missed it??? Even so, skaters have their moment, it is their moment, Chipeur stayed on ice long, Lysacek stayed on ice and I thought it was a great moment for him by the way, if you have ever competed in your life, these are emotions that bomb after you hold in your routine. Plushenko inTorino LP finish looked like a tone got out of his body and liped thanx god is over, we jump upside down in our homes, what do you expect from a skater whose life is there and he is the one who lives the moment???

Some people need group therapy concerning Plush hate here. It is ridicoulus. I m celebrating my first ignore list.

Last edited:

Alatariel

On the Ice

Oh but you are all right with Evan Lysacek pumping his fist in triumph during his last spin of the program, because what, that's in heat of the moment? Not contrived at all to pump both the audience and the judges ... right. And the crying bit ... oh please...

Please stop with the idiotic pc nonsense - bad sportsmanship - I mean honestly, where do you come up with such nonsense? It's just mind boggling. Do you even know what bad sportsmanship is? And then more nonsense, circulating around the rink ... oh forget it, ignore list.