Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

sk8m8

Final Flight
"And what's with the double-axling towards the end of his program every time?"

just my take, COP wise. Most of the elite men can still eke out a really good double axel toward the end of the program. If you take the base mark of 3.5, then add.35 (bonus 10% for last half of program) to it and then upgade the GOE so that you get an extra tenth or point or two added on top if it's performed well, and you've done the equivalent of inserting a triple loop-triple flip value for a resonably easy jump. I think for most skaters in yields a lot of benefit compared to the risk.

Last edited:

gsrossano

Final Flight
Thank you! I only found your pre-list, guessed it would come another one. Thanks. You're in the hot spot then, right? Must be thrilling! Wow.

First night rink-side. Been up in the second deck before this. Normally I am pretty calm about these things, but my heart is thumping tonight.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Layfan, I think the problem is when you see Evan for the first couple of times. he's very impressive. He's so fast, aggressive, attacking everything in that programme. But when, as a FS fan, you follow Evan for a while during the competitions and see how he 'progressed', it's a whole different story..

I've loved Evan since his FS in Turin. I dunno, I just do. I can't explain it. Normally I like softer, lyrical more balletic skaters ... but there are exceptions. Like Irina. It's their energy, I guess. And as I just posted elsewhere, I guess I just think Evan's style looks good on Evan, flapping arms and all. (I do have to say I really don't like that double plie thing he does. ick.)

May I'll fall "out of like" someday Evan like I have with other skaters (Caroline Zhang...) but for now I'm thrilled to be rooting for him.

As for progress. Not sure how much Plushenko or Lambiel and especially Johnny have progressed in four years. At least Evan has progressed as a competitor. Now, the Japanese guys, they are a newer and exciting bunch. And Jeremy WAS a breath of fresh air:cry:

ARipp42014

Medalist
Plushenko jump base value 59.3, Lyasacek jump base value 55.0, Takahashi jump base value 61.3. Only a 4.3 point base value advantage to Plushenko over Lysacek. This still can be a real competition.

61.43 vs 58.23 with likely time bonus. 3.20 point jump base value difference.

Dai's jump layout is very aggressive. He is also going for broke, it's all or nuthin for him probably.. Will be interesting.

Plus I have to add that Dice-K also will beat Plushy on the PCS marks so let's hope he goes for it. That 4T will tell the story.

Thanks, Mr Rossano and fellow posters! Off to take deep breaths for a while - my chest is all tight even while out walking my dog!

May the best skater win and may the judges all do the right thing!

gsrossano

Final Flight
Who do you think will win?

Evegeni or Evan. That narros it down, doesn't it! I think Plushenko needs two quads to guarantee a victory. With one, Evan has a great chance and he is a solid performer. I don't think he will crack. Neither will Plushenko IMO. Third is up for grabs. I like Takahashi, but if he misses the quad, which is likely, it opens up third to several guys.

Will be interesting to see if Plushenko changes his content after he sees how the rest of the field has done. If TV reports a photogtapher has dropped dead of a heart atack, that would be me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That is great that Johnny is going for a 4T! I think he's responding directly to all the critics that are saying that he's depending on others to mess up and doesn't have strong jump content. I'd say that a 4T, 2 3A and two 3Lz combos is nothing to sneeze at! Good for him.

Eevun

Final Flight
Photo and some blogging, but no blogging tonight because there is no room for a computer at rink level. Nice tables to work at up top.
Rinkside IS better than a computer table, easy one. But I can take your seat if you want to blog tonight :biggrin:

Evegeni or Evan. That narros it down, doesn't it! I think Plushenko needs two quads to guarantee a victory. With one, Evan has a great chance and he is a solid performer. I don't think he will crack. Neither will Plushenko IMO. Third is up for grabs. I like Takahashi, but if the misses the quad, which is likely it opens up third to severl guys.

Will be interesting to see if Plushenko changes his content after he sees how the rest of hte field has done. If TV reports a photogtapher has dropped dead of a heart atack, that would be me.
Ditto. Plushy isn't unbeatable. I would love to see him crack, just to prove that he's still human.
:lol: We'll keep our eyes and ears open. It will probably be a disease all over the world; heart attacks and too much vodka.

Alatariel

On the Ice
This may sound odd, but I don't think Plushi can win without that second quad.

Am I being too severe on him? Of course it does depend on how it pans out for the others, but somehow I keep focusing on the second quad needed.

Eevun

Final Flight
1 more hour to go! *spazz*

YAY! \o/ What shall we do with the drunken skater... Kill time? Let's play drinking/B&J's game! Where is everybody?! Not sleeping I hope.

gsrossano - are you in the bin yet? Please tell us about the atmosphere in the crown when they're coming!

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Am I being too severe on him? Of course it does depend on how it pans out for the others, but somehow I keep focusing on the second quad needed.

It depends on of Takahashi lands the quad or tanks, if Evan is clean and gets monstrous PCS or makes mistakes, and if Nobu really rocks it enough to pull up or not. I don't know if the judges will be so kind with Plushy tonight - as the last skater of the night, his arm flailing footwork shouldn't look too impressive and if a bunch of men land quads, his combination probably won't get a 1.20 GOE like it did in the short. He goes last though, so he probably doesn't need two quads unless two other guys are spectacular.

ARipp42014

Medalist
I think we all need to do is bring some mojitos, some popcorn (per request for our favorite Plushy fan Senorita), and maybe a bottle of Absolut. Tonite either going to be the biggest crash in GS history or the biggest hangover.

Eevun

Final Flight

Alatariel, there you are! Sharing your vodka tonight? I've got Ben&Jerry's!
I think you're right. He lacks to much of artistic. He was better in that before the retire. (OK, I havn't compared old PCS, but is just a feeling.) I don't enjoy watching him as much as I did before. He's jumping machine, but not much more nowadays. OK, Plushy, maybe you can't win without a quad, but neither should you be allowed to win with a stoneface!

One final tweet from Johnny:
Aww, that was lovely. We give you wings, Johnny-boy!!
Thanks for sharing.

gsrossano

Final Flight
Crowd is just fliltering in. Still pretty empty. They are about to take us down to the pit. Back in five hours.