Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

Eevun

Final Flight
I think we all need to do is bring some mojitos, some popcorn (per request for our favorite Plushy fan Senorita), and maybe a bottle of Absolut. Tonite either going to be the biggest crash in GS history or the biggest hangover.

Damn, I must go to work in the morning... Or I promise you I would have taken what I found in the bar!

Alatariel

On the Ice
It depends on of Takahashi lands the quad or tanks, if Evan is clean and gets monstrous PCS or makes mistakes, and if Nobu really rocks it enough to pull up or not. I don't know if the judges will be so kind with Plushy tonight - as the last skater of the night, his arm flailing footwork shouldn't look too impressive and if a bunch of men land quads, his combination probably won't get a 1.20 GOE like it did in the short. He goes last though, so he probably doesn't need two quads unless two other guys are spectacular.

Mostly I'm thinking about the 'clean skate' scenario for everyone else. I don't like thinking people will bomb, whether I like them or not, so yes, those were my thoughts too. The pimp spot can be good and bad at the same time and if the others really skate great, then second may be needed. He's doing a 4-3-2 for the combo and we haven't seen that one in a while for him so that's nice, two 3As ... wonder where he'd stick the second quad?

Alatariel, there you are! Sharing your vodka tonight? I've got Ben&Jerry's!
I think you're right. He lacks to much of artistic. He was better in that before the retire. (OK, I havn't compared old PCS, but is just a feeling.) I don't enjoy watching him as much as I did before. He's jumping machine, but not much more nowadays. OK, Plushy, maybe you can't win without a quad, but neither should you be allowed to win with a stoneface.

Hello dear! Of course I am, limitless amount too, after the SPs I thought I might as well stock up just to be safe lol. Oooh B&J! Lovely! If we mix it all, we'll be on the floor before the second group :laugh:

Yes, he was scored better and as silverlake says, going after the guys with great presentation can only make it worse for him. Gah, this is so nerve wrecking!

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
It depends on of Takahashi lands the quad or tanks, if Evan is clean and gets monstrous PCS or makes mistakes, and if Nobu really rocks it enough to pull up or not. I don't know if the judges will be so kind with Plushy tonight - as the last skater of the night, his arm flailing footwork shouldn't look too impressive and if a bunch of men land quads, his combination probably won't get a 1.20 GOE like it did in the short. He goes last though, so he probably doesn't need two quads unless two other guys are spectacular.

And Plushy's big advantage is that he is skating last so he'll know what he needs. Of course he can win without the second quad. But if Evan and Dai hit it out of the park he might very well need it. The judges haven't been generous on this other marks. I dunno, it depends. I still think that even a clean Evan with no quad doesn't really beat a clean Plushy with quad-triple.

No, Plushenko is definitely the one to beat. He can win without the second quad. That's what I think. :yes:

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
This may sound odd, but I don't think Plushi can win without that second quad.

Am I being too severe on him? Of course it does depend on how it pans out for the others, but somehow I keep focusing on the second quad needed.

I don't see Plush winning with that content either. He knows himself best though and perhaps he feels two quads will be too tiring. It doesn't bode well for a repeat even though I hope that I am wrong. However if he skates relatively clean, he probably will secure a bronze medal and he said that he would be happy with that.

Eevun

Final Flight
Crowd is just fliltering in. Still pretty empty. They are about to take us down to the pit. Back in five hours.

By then all here are either dead by broken hearts or very drunken. This place will be mad tonight. I look forward to it :biggrin: KEEP'EM COMING!

Alex

On the Ice
If Dai or Evan go clean (especially Dai), Plushy can't win with this jump content.

Less than an hour to go. So nervous.....

JuliusFelix

Rinkside
I want Evan (mongoose!) to go clean, I want Daisuke (remix!) to go clean... I want Evgeni (Tsar!) to put down 2 quads and kill that ice. The man can bring fire when he wants to. (2005 Euros long anyone?) He may not have the lyricism of the other top men, but I'd LOVE to see him "bring it" and sell the hell out of his program.

Crossing fingers. This is going to be a great ride.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mostly I'm thinking about the 'clean skate' scenario for everyone else. I don't like thinking people will bomb, whether I like them or not, so yes, those were my thoughts too. The pimp spot can be good and bad at the same time and if the others really skate great, then second may be needed. He's doing a 4-3-2 for the combo and we haven't seen that one in a while for him so that's nice, two 3As ... wonder where he'd stick the second quad?

That's the other thing, skater's have to be careful about not doing too many jumps otherwise they will have invalid elements and lose lots of points. I think the men are allowed to repeat 3 of their triples, so if a skater had two 3t planned in his program, and then a 4t, and popped the 4t to a 3t, the last 3t would not count if the skater had already done say two 3a and two 3lz. The other thing is that for a repeated triple, one of them has to be in combination or you only get 80%, so if you step out of a 3a and already did a 3a before not in combination, the second 3a will not be worth much b/c it will only be counted at 80% and then with - GOEs the skater probably would have been better off doing a good 3lz. The other thing is that if a skater does two of the same triple, but doesn't do either in combination, he can't add on another combination elsewhere, it will not be counted. This happened to Caroline at SC and Alissa at nationals and both Takahashi and Oda said they have done this before. It's a lot of technical math to keep in mind while doing a program.

Eevun

Final Flight
He goes last though, so he probably doesn't need two quads unless two other guys are spectacular.

I hate it if it sort out like that; him showing of with 3A and a fall and still winning just to prove how good he is... He won with a fall at Euros some years ago.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Oh, and anyone in the US have a live feed that will be showing skating? I want to watch Tomas, Javier, Contentsi, Jeremy, Brian, and some of the earlier skaters perform but I assume NBC will likely only show the last group. adthe.net worked for me last night, will it be showing figure skating again tonight?

janetfan

Match Penalty
And Plushy's big advantage is that he is skating last so he'll know what he needs. Of course he can win without the second quad. But if Evan and Dai hit it out of the park he might very well need it. The judges haven't been generous on this other marks. I dunno, it depends. I still think that even a clean Evan with no quad doesn't really beat a clean Plushy with quad-triple.

No, Plushenko is definitely the one to beat. He can win without the second quad. That's what I think. :yes:

I agree Plushy is the one to beat. But Evan and Dai virtually tied him in the SP without quads. In an LP, Dai and Evan stand to wrack up higher pcs than Plushy.

But hard to predict this and it will come down to who skates the cleanest.

Eevun

Final Flight
Hello dear! Of course I am, limitless amount too, after the SPs I thought I might as well stock up just to be safe lol. Oooh B&J! Lovely! If we mix it all, we'll be on the floor before the second group :laugh:

I think I'll go for that. "Who won? Bah, I missed it all. What the heck, pass me the vodka!"

I'm officially out of bed. Lighting up the house and printing the papers for tonight. YIIIHHAAAAA!

emma

Record Breaker
First night rink-side. Been up in the second deck before this. Normally I am pretty calm about these things, but my heart is thumping tonight.

Thank you for the trick list and ENJOY the comp (and the great seats!!!!)!!! My heart is beating and i'm nowhere near the arena! Can't wait to read your overall impressions when it's all over.

ARipp42014

Medalist
*spazz* 20 minutes until Verner skates!

OT: Anyone noticed Yahoo! changing it's Olympic theme to a figure skater. That yahoo version looks a lot like Yu-Na Kim (the LP version).

Last edited: