Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

Alatariel

On the Ice
That's the other thing, skater's have to be careful about not doing too many jumps otherwise they will have invalid elements and lose lots of points. I think the men are allowed to repeat 3 of their triples, so if a skater had two 3t planned in his program, and then a 4t, and popped the 4t to a 3t, the last 3t would not count if the skater had already done say two 3a and two 3lz. The other thing is that for a repeated triple, one of them has to be in combination or you only get 80%, so if you step out of a 3a and already did a 3a before not in combination, the second 3a will not be worth much b/c it will only be counted at 80% and then with - GOEs the skater probably would have been better off doing a good 3lz. The other thing is that if a skater does two of the same triple, but doesn't do either in combination, he can't add on another combination elsewhere, it will not be counted. This happened to Caroline at SC and Alissa at nationals and both Takahashi and Oda said they have done this before. It's a lot of technical math to keep in mind while doing a program.

I am pretty sure he has it all worked out already, the second quad option. I just don't see him or Mishin leaving it open, so that any possible mistake of that kind could occur. I think he knows where the second quad would go, and still be all right when it comes to the rules. He did say that he eliminated the second quad from the program at Euros because he felt he didn't need it. I think that is worked out but I wonder if he has the strength to pull it off.

Frankly, I'd just like to see him go out there, not calculate at all, do his very best which means two quads and if he wins, he wins it by blowing everyone away!

Layfan

Record Breaker
I agree Plushy is the one to beat. But Evan and Dai virtually tied him in the SP without quads. In an LP, Dai and Evan stand to wrack up higher pcs than Plushy.

But hard to predict this and it will come down to who skates the cleanest.

I think Evan and Dai virtually tying Plushenko did put into question whether Plushenko is the one to beat ... but another way of looking at it is that Evan and Dai were virtually perfect and still couldn't beat Plushy, who was ever so slightly shaky.

We'll see. None can afford mistakes. But especially not Evan or Dai.

adamlondon

On the Ice
does anyone think that oda will try the quad? i looked at the score sheet and think that he should. I mean its either a medal or nothing. If he does land his quad he will have a very good chance of leapfrogging evan and dai.

Eevun

Final Flight
Let's see...
TV, laptop, printed trick lists, pen, chocolate, cellphone, toast, pink guava, blanket and a butterflied belly. Yeah, got it all.
Oh, I forgot, insomnia headache ofcourse xD
Brings out the Ben&Jerry when the vodka groups take the ice.

Last edited:

futureidol

On the Ice
Weir's planned elements, he's going for the QUAD:

Quad. Toeloop
Triple Axel + Triple Toeloop
Triple Salchow
Triple Axel
Flying Sit Spin
Circular Step Sequence
Triple Loop
Triple Lutz + Double Toeloop + Double Toeloop
Triple Lutz + Double Toeloop
Double Axel
Fly. Change Foot Sit Spin
Straight Line Step Sequence
Change Foot Combination Spin

Lysacek is the only man in the final group not attempting a quad... should be interesting. GO JOHNNY!

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
He did say so (yonkaiten). But his story seemed to be based on what's already listed.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Weir's planned elements, he's going for the QUAD:

Quad. Toeloop
Triple Axel + Triple Toeloop
Triple Salchow
Triple Axel
Flying Sit Spin
Circular Step Sequence
Triple Loop
Triple Lutz + Double Toeloop + Double Toeloop
Triple Lutz + Double Toeloop
Double Axel
Fly. Change Foot Sit Spin
Straight Line Step Sequence
Change Foot Combination Spin

Lysacek is the only man in the final group not attempting a quad... should be interesting. GO JOHNNY!

If Johnny goes clean and is in medal position, I will rename him to Johnny Savior! Not the biggest JW fan but I know tonite he's coming out swinging!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
streaming? i'm on adthe.net and the screen is just blank, does that mean they aren't covering the olympics until 8 or that something is wrong?

Eevun

Final Flight
I cant believe this is finally happening. THE moment! Feels like a dream.
(That's how a real, obsessed fs fan talks, right?)