Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

jovani2293

On the Ice
I'm a fan of Oda but my really being realistic here. I think that the top three need to stay on there feet or it is over. Oda is going to put the quad. I'm positive he is. The program he can hit can easily score over 170. Weir and Lambiel are also there if the top three falter.
BTW, NBC only mentions the top three there are other skater that can challenge.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Anyone who rules out Stephane Lambiel for a medal is IMO delusional. Stephane is not a strong SP skater, because the lack of a 3A really hurts him, but he can rack up some points in the LP. The judges love him because he's interesting and musical; they were pretty generous with him yesterday, all things considered. And a six point difference is nothing, it's easy to make that up with a good LP.

My dream podium is not going to happen. My more realistic, current dream podium includes Dai, Johnny, and Plushenko - I never thought I'd pick the latter, but he's been trashed in the NA media so much it's almost like cheering on an underdog. I'd be okay with Lambiel, too, and I hope Jeremy and Brian will skate better than all of them and leave with at least some good memories.

Well, I'm certainly not ruling Lambiel out! I think you're right that that he'll be in his element in the LP. I'm not with anyone else around here wishing for any of the top three to be "knocked off" ... but I'd also love to see Lambiel on the podium. Honestly, I think what hurts him most isn't the triple axle but his perennial struggle to put out a perfect program. If he's perfect, it may not matter so much that he doesn't have 3a. I'll enjoy his skating no matter what and I'm so happy he's back.

My dream podium already isn't going to happen either ... but you are all much braver than me in listing your revised dream podiums. I'm too superstitious. :)

DesertRoad

Final Flight
If we're going with dream podiums, well I'm torn between these two:

Daisuke wins! He is one of my favorite skaters and his LP is my favorite men's LP this year. Plus, a win by a Japanese man would improve the discipline's visibility in Japan, where it's been a bit neglected compared to ladies.

Or, Johnny Weir wins! This would offend and confound so many people, especially those who don't usually pay attention to this sport except at the Olympics. They deserve to suffer under Weir's sequined boots.

Neither scenario has a good chance of happening, though.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah I think Dai will bomb like he did at the GPF and Evan will have axel trouble, I'm going to predict the podium will be:

1.) Plushy
2.) Oda
3.) Chan

Followed by Lysacek and Lambiel, in whatever order.

Chan will get monstrous PCS plus hometown advantage and if he's clean he can make up those 8 points easily. Oda is a good LP skater and will be slightly ahead of Chan due to TES. Plushenko will hit everything but be uninspiring with lots of arm flapping. Brezina and Khozaka will be great but underscored. Abbott, Joubert, and Verner will either redeem themselves and make the top ten or be too depressed after the SP to make a convincing comeback.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Wow, Tomas is going first. This might be good for him, especially because he has nothing to lose and is not one to hold back. If he hits his 4-3 and two 3a's as planned, he could pull up into the top 10. His LP is also much better than his SP this season IMO, I think it will be scored better because it really emphasizes his elegance and great footwork. I really hope Jeremy and Brian also use their early draws to their advantage, I was so heartbroken for these three men last night that I hope they can prove to the world that they really are great, even if they are too far gone to medal.

But hey, who knows what will happen. It's the Olympics and the ice is slippery.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Yeah I think Dai will bomb like he did at the GPF and Evan will have axel trouble, I'm going to predict the podium will be:

1.) Plushy
2.) Oda
3.) Chan

Followed by Lysacek and Lambiel, in whatever order.

Chan will get monstrous PCS plus hometown advantage and if he's clean he can make up those 8 points easily. Oda is a good LP skater and will be slightly ahead of Chan due to TES. Plushenko will hit everything but be uninspiring with lots of arm flapping. Brezina and Khozaka will be great but underscored. Abbott, Joubert, and Verner will either redeem themselves and make the top ten or be too depressed after the SP to make a convincing comeback.

I can see Plush and Oda taking 1-2, but I don't know about Chan. He wasn't exactly held up that much (or as much as say, Dube/Davison in their SP) last night, and it's not like he's ever skated a clean LP this season at all. Plus he struggles with the 3A, which will probably be his downfall in the LP. The most likely person to be held up, IMO, is Lysacek, who I predict will probably make the podium.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I can see Plush and Oda taking 1-2, but I don't know about Chan. He wasn't exactly held up that much (or as much as say, Dube/Davison in their SP) last night, and it's not like he's ever skated a clean LP this season at all. Plus he struggles with the 3A, which will probably be his downfall in the LP. The most likely person to be held up, IMO, is Lysacek, who I predict will probably make the podium.

I don't think Chan was held up at all, I thought he got what he deserved. I wouldn't have complained if they gave him 84 or 85 for the performance, either.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I'm a fan of Oda but my really being realistic here. I think that the top three need to stay on there feet or it is over. Oda is going to put the quad. I'm positive he is. The program he can hit can easily score over 170. Weir and Lambiel are also there if the top three falter.

I think that Plushy and Evan would take the Gold and Silver. Dai would perhaps let the door open.
Re TES my money is on Oda. My gut feeling says that he would go clean. He's been extremely consistent in his practice reports and seems relaxed and happy. With or without the quad, I think that he will do well. He also has Morosov to make the decision about the quad and Morosov usually does not mistake in playing games.
I also can picture Johnny going clean. But his TES always suffers for not maxing combo, lipping, and modest GOE.
I don't think that Dai and Lambi will go clean, but they have huge PCS advantages that make a difference compared to Oda and Weir.
But I'd like to see a clean program on the podium.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I'm thinking of a podium like this (if Daisuke and Evan have a bad skate):

1. Evgeni
2. Nobunari
3. Stéphane

Dream podium is:

1. Nobunari
2. Stéphane or Daisuke
3. Jeremy or Johnny

taikwan

On the Ice
^^ thank you!!^^ I was wondering where was the Johnny love.
I think Plush wins, 2nd Stephan - would love love to see Johnny get a medal. Wouldn't mind those final placements at all.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
I also have the feeling that Lambiel will be on the podium, but I even have a greater feeling that IF Lambiel skates a perfect LP he WILL WIN Gold...and that would be the best day ever for me :) :love: :love: :love:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
My dream podium: Gold-Lysacek, Silver-Lambiel, Bronze-Johnny Weir! Whoever medals I hope they skate perfectly & have great, interesting choreography. I think Chan's day will come in 2014. I love his deep, deep edges.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Universal Sports' Skating show is on! Evan's parents are the special guests!

Basically they were saying how proud they are of him and that his dad will be there tomorrow nite. They also created a charity event after a good friend of Evan (who was also a skater) died of cancer and donating to both Make A Wish and a scholarship. They seem like nice people.

Sasha Cohen was the next guest and talked about being on the other side of the Olympics... being a spectator. She's picking Evan to win gold.

They brought back Boitano to the show and interesting points made during the segment. Brian likes Daisuke and thinks he shouldn't do the quad. He just needs to skate clean to put the pressure on Plushenko. OTOH, he said Plushy needs to land all his jumps or it's game over for him. Other things were brought up: everyone's still sad over Jeremy, shocked over Joubert, and applauding Evan's consistency.

Finally they brought back Michelle the Researcher but it's mostly ice dance practices (mostly Del/Schol and V/M) and Miki doing 3Z/3L combos.

Last edited:

Justafan

On the Ice
Enjoy the stylistic skaters while you can because it is looking more and more like beautiful arm movements, etc. are going to go the way of the Do-Do bird in favor of Quadmania. At which point I will stop watching men's figure skating because while athleticism is certainly important, if the skater looks like Gumby on Ice, I really don't care if he can do a quad jump. I hope the younger skaters will embrace some style but who knows.