Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Yeah I think Dai will bomb like he did at the GPF and Evan will have axel trouble, I'm going to predict the podium will be:

1.) Plushy
    2.) Oda
    3.) Chan

Followed by Lysacek and Lambiel, in whatever order.

Chan will get monstrous PCS plus hometown advantage and if he's clean he can make up those 8 points easily. Oda is a good LP skater and will be slightly ahead of Chan due to TES. Plushenko will hit everything but be uninspiring with lots of arm flapping. Brezina and Khozaka will be great but underscored. Abbott, Joubert, and Verner will either redeem themselves and make the top ten or be too depressed after the SP to make a convincing comeback.
    I can see Plush and Oda taking 1-2, but I don't know about Chan. He wasn't exactly held up that much (or as much as say, Dube/Davison in their SP) last night, and it's not like he's ever skated a clean LP this season at all. Plus he struggles with the 3A, which will probably be his downfall in the LP. The most likely person to be held up, IMO, is Lysacek, who I predict will probably make the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I can see Plush and Oda taking 1-2, but I don't know about Chan. He wasn't exactly held up that much (or as much as say, Dube/Davison in their SP) last night, and it's not like he's ever skated a clean LP this season at all. Plus he struggles with the 3A, which will probably be his downfall in the LP. The most likely person to be held up, IMO, is Lysacek, who I predict will probably make the podium.
    I don't think Chan was held up at all, I thought he got what he deserved. I wouldn't have complained if they gave him 84 or 85 for the performance, either.

Quote Originally Posted by jovani2293 View Post
    I'm a fan of Oda but my really being realistic here. I think that the top three need to stay on there feet or it is over. Oda is going to put the quad. I'm positive he is. The program he can hit can easily score over 170. Weir and Lambiel are also there if the top three falter.
    I think that Plushy and Evan would take the Gold and Silver. Dai would perhaps let the door open.
    Re TES my money is on Oda. My gut feeling says that he would go clean. He's been extremely consistent in his practice reports and seems relaxed and happy. With or without the quad, I think that he will do well. He also has Morosov to make the decision about the quad and Morosov usually does not mistake in playing games.
    I also can picture Johnny going clean. But his TES always suffers for not maxing combo, lipping, and modest GOE.
    I don't think that Dai and Lambi will go clean, but they have huge PCS advantages that make a difference compared to Oda and Weir.
    But I'd like to see a clean program on the podium.

I'm thinking of a podium like this (if Daisuke and Evan have a bad skate):

1. Evgeni
    2. Nobunari
    3. Stéphane

Dream podium is:

1. Nobunari
    2. Stéphane or Daisuke
    3. Jeremy or Johnny

On the Ice
    ^^ thank you!!^^ I was wondering where was the Johnny love.
    I think Plush wins, 2nd Stephan - would love love to see Johnny get a medal. Wouldn't mind those final placements at all.

Meanwhile in a parallel universe .... theresa's Avatar
    I also have the feeling that Lambiel will be on the podium, but I even have a greater feeling that IF Lambiel skates a perfect LP he WILL WIN Gold...and that would be the best day ever for me

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    I'm thinking of a podium like this (if Daisuke and Evan have a bad skate):

1. Evgeni
    2. Nobunari
    3. Stéphane

Dream podium is:

1. Nobunari
    2. Stéphane or Daisuke
    3. Jeremy or Johnny
    YES. perfect.

My dream podium: Gold-Lysacek, Silver-Lambiel, Bronze-Johnny Weir! Whoever medals I hope they skate perfectly & have great, interesting choreography. I think Chan's day will come in 2014. I love his deep, deep edges.

Universal Sports' Skating show is on! Evan's parents are the special guests!

Basically they were saying how proud they are of him and that his dad will be there tomorrow nite. They also created a charity event after a good friend of Evan (who was also a skater) died of cancer and donating to both Make A Wish and a scholarship. They seem like nice people.

Sasha Cohen was the next guest and talked about being on the other side of the Olympics... being a spectator. She's picking Evan to win gold.

They brought back Boitano to the show and interesting points made during the segment. Brian likes Daisuke and thinks he shouldn't do the quad. He just needs to skate clean to put the pressure on Plushenko. OTOH, he said Plushy needs to land all his jumps or it's game over for him. Other things were brought up: everyone's still sad over Jeremy, shocked over Joubert, and applauding Evan's consistency.

Finally they brought back Michelle the Researcher but it's mostly ice dance practices (mostly Del/Schol and V/M) and Miki doing 3Z/3L combos.
    Last edited by ARipp42014; 02-17-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Custom Title
    Enjoy the stylistic skaters while you can because it is looking more and more like beautiful arm movements, etc. are going to go the way of the Do-Do bird in favor of Quadmania. At which point I will stop watching men's figure skating because while athleticism is certainly important, if the skater looks like Gumby on Ice, I really don't care if he can do a quad jump. I hope the younger skaters will embrace some style but who knows.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I am stunned by everyone crowning Evan champion just because he did a good short.

I think Evegeni will Do his infamous 4/3 and lock up the gold despite a doubled jump later on and his usual ignorance of the music.
    I think Evan will skate clean, but without a quad will either remain a distant 2nd or drop to 3rd. As long as he medal and he is happy, I am too.
    I hope Dai can hold onto the podium, but so far this year he has not proved that he can skate a great free. My money is on Lambiel to land the two quads and startle us with his spins for a podium spot. La Traviata is an masterpiece.

Strange spot for Evan, skating first after warm up. He is well trained, so maybe that is a good place for him.

Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    I am not crowning him the champion, on the contrary. I am not sure he'll even keep the silver, it all depends on Stephan's performance considering the quad mania that is possible (though for the record, I think he should stick to two as he has issues with that as it is), then add Dai will attempt a quad and Weir perhaps too ... hardly a lock for any of the medals though I think Plushi as OGM seems more likely than anyone else.

He has the pimp spot which means he can tailor that LP if needs be. Unlike others, he actually can do two quads if needs be so that's a huge advantage. I think Evan had a good, over scored SP but who knows what will happen in the LP, especially considering his 3A is not exactly the shining example of that jump ... though he will be held up by the judges, that is obvious by now by the SP. Poor Weir, poor Dai and poor Lambiel - looking at Evan's PCS and theirs all I can do is shake my head in desperation at the judging.
    Last edited by Alatariel; 02-17-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Okay more from the show... everyone was talking about fashion! Here's some of the funnier quotes:
    KVDP: He's so skinny, we can see his bones
    Tomas: I'm Popeye the sailor man. TOOT TOOT
    Stephane: He's a vampire!
    Johnny: forgot what they said but something about man boobs
    Evan: Dumbo and the feather

Then everyone made their picks. Kristi's choosing Evan, while the men chose Plushenko. However, Brian hopes Evan wins but it is Plushenko's to lose.

The last guest was Scott Hamilton and Terry put him on the spot but all Scottie can say "whoever skates their best in those 4 1/2 minutes" will win it.
    Last edited by ARipp42014; 02-17-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Custom Title
    Let's just hope for judging that makes a little more sense then last night.

Rinkside
    I thought the judging last night made pretty good sense. I was actually amazed, I was trying to "show off" >_> for non-skate-fan family by predicting the scores before NBC displayed them. The only one I missed appreciably was Weir - had him at 84-85 - and that because I missed the edge call.

But most likely I'm just lucky with tossing numbers and biased with who I'd rate higher. 'Cause I admit it, I do have favorites and when they're on, I just love it.

Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast