Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am stunned by everyone crowning Evan champion just because he did a good short.

I think Evegeni will Do his infamous 4/3 and lock up the gold despite a doubled jump later on and his usual ignorance of the music.
I think Evan will skate clean, but without a quad will either remain a distant 2nd or drop to 3rd. As long as he medal and he is happy, I am too.
I hope Dai can hold onto the podium, but so far this year he has not proved that he can skate a great free. My money is on Lambiel to land the two quads and startle us with his spins for a podium spot. La Traviata is an masterpiece.

Strange spot for Evan, skating first after warm up. He is well trained, so maybe that is a good place for him.

Alatariel

On the Ice
I am not crowning him the champion, on the contrary. I am not sure he'll even keep the silver, it all depends on Stephan's performance considering the quad mania that is possible (though for the record, I think he should stick to two as he has issues with that as it is), then add Dai will attempt a quad and Weir perhaps too ... hardly a lock for any of the medals though I think Plushi as OGM seems more likely than anyone else.

He has the pimp spot which means he can tailor that LP if needs be. Unlike others, he actually can do two quads if needs be so that's a huge advantage. I think Evan had a good, over scored SP but who knows what will happen in the LP, especially considering his 3A is not exactly the shining example of that jump ... though he will be held up by the judges, that is obvious by now by the SP. Poor Weir, poor Dai and poor Lambiel - looking at Evan's PCS and theirs all I can do is shake my head in desperation at the judging.

Last edited:

ARipp42014

Medalist
Okay more from the show... everyone was talking about fashion! Here's some of the funnier quotes:
KVDP: He's so skinny, we can see his bones
Tomas: I'm Popeye the sailor man. TOOT TOOT
Stephane: He's a vampire!
Johnny: forgot what they said but something about man boobs
Evan: Dumbo and the feather

Then everyone made their picks. Kristi's choosing Evan, while the men chose Plushenko. However, Brian hopes Evan wins but it is Plushenko's to lose.

The last guest was Scott Hamilton and Terry put him on the spot but all Scottie can say "whoever skates their best in those 4 1/2 minutes" will win it.

Last edited:

JuliusFelix

Rinkside
I thought the judging last night made pretty good sense. I was actually amazed, I was trying to "show off" >_> for non-skate-fan family by predicting the scores before NBC displayed them. The only one I missed appreciably was Weir - had him at 84-85 - and that because I missed the edge call.

But most likely I'm just lucky with tossing numbers and biased with who I'd rate higher. 'Cause I admit it, I do have favorites and when they're on, I just love it.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Where's the vomit emoticon? Seeing all the hyped love and salivation over same old, blah, unmusical, arm flailing, horrible 3Axel technique, quadless, greasehead, labored Evan makes me ashamed to be an American. I'm sorry, I just don't get at all what anyone sees in the guy's skating. I can think of several skaters around the world who are leaps and bounds better than he is. Just because he's a tough competitor doesn't mean he should get high PCS as if he's this great artist on the ice that he is not. I'd rather have anyone win but Evan.

icebeauty

On the Ice
can't wait...this is going to be soooo exciting! sending a lot of positive energy to the men.
I think I'll honestly be ok with anything for the final podium (as long as Plushenko is not on it...highly unlikely, so i'll just go with as long as he's not on top) Don't want to jinx anyone so instead...I hope all of Evan's hard work/determination shows and he skates his best LP, I hope Takahashi just makes it through his LP, a year removed from knee surgery and he looks like he never left, Oda lands everything and keeps himself in the mix, Stephane to spin everyone dizzy and land a clean quad, and for Johnny, what can I say but to skate the best LP he possibly can (the one everyone's been waiting for) so he walks away from Vancouver happy knowing that he let his skating do the talking...oh and one more request, continued fair judging to prove that the quad won't win it for you!

and definitely if you replace KVDP with Adam Rippon the penultimate group is indeed the final group in 4 years...

icebeauty

On the Ice
museksk8r
while i'm not Evan's biggest fan and I prefer most skaters over him from a artistic/aesthetic standpoint, i think the time, dedication, and pure hard work that he puts in preparation at least merits our appreciation. While I cringe when he beats a more artistic skater, no on can really take away the respect i have for him for going after what he wants. So yes, while i agree with you about all the flaws in Evan's performance on the ice, there is no other skater that i can think of that should have our support. It's easy to argue that he's not a great artist and his PCS's seem off, but keep in mind PCS is not a true artistic mark, it scores skaing skills - Lysacek has solid skills, transitions - he has a bunch of them, interpretation - no one gets into their programs as much as him, choreography - lori nichol does an excellent job nad lysacek delivers, performance - i have never seen anyone else skate with as much passion. For the longest time I had a hard time understanding why Evan was getting the PCS marks he has been getting, but when each component is bronken down, it's easy to see why the judges reward him for what he does on the ice. As a person who's studied music and dance for several years, I don't think that Lysacek has exceptional musicality, but he does pick music that works for him, he uses music that has lots of accent and builds to a climax, which reflects his style on the ice. Lysacek definitely uses music that fits his style rather than trying to fit his skating to a certain syle of music.

but at the end of the day, that's just my two cents...

soogar

Record Breaker
I hope the top 3 stays as is in the order they are. However I don't see Plush winning another gold medal. For one thing, it seems that he is not a favored skater in the judges' eyes and that the "transition campaign" has been successful. Russia also lacks the political muscle to help him out.

lcd

Match Penalty
"Russia also lacks the political muscle to help him out.[/QUOTE]

Could you explain? Is it as simple as Russia lacking a judge on the free skate panel? Because the political muscle would seem to be hardly ever a question

Hadria

Rinkside
I think I'll honestly be ok with anything for the final podium (as long as Plushenko is not on it...highly unlikely, so i'll just go with as long as he's not on top) Don't want to jinx anyone so instead...I hope all of Evan's hard work/determination shows and he skates his best LP, I hope Takahashi just makes it through his LP, a year removed from knee surgery and he looks like he never left, Oda lands everything and keeps himself in the mix, Stephane to spin everyone dizzy and land a clean quad, and for Johnny, what can I say but to skate the best LP he possibly can (the one everyone's been waiting for) so he walks away from Vancouver happy knowing that he let his skating do the talking...oh and one more request, continued fair judging to prove that the quad won't win it for you!
Ditto. You put it so well. :thumbsup:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm really hoping Evan wins.. I want Lambiel second but I don't know if that's going to happen.. I'd like Plushenko off the podium altogether, like that will ever happen.. I hope Chan medals, but I know he probably won't. I have a feeling the top three might even stay the same.

evenstar

Final Flight
I can't help but notice the parallels between the top three men here in Vancouver and the top three ladies in Turin four years ago. There is a Russian, American, and Japanese skater basically tied for first after the short, with a 6 point lead over the fourth place competitor. Now, Daisuke is no Shizuka in terms of consistency, but for the sake of adhering to the Turin podium:

1) Daisuke
2) Evan
3) Plushenko

hm, doubt this will happen though :)

kareliz

Rinkside
My main dream is that Johnny, with less pressure, just skates a fantastic program, and that whatever the marks, he is happy and proud of his skate. And is a bronze really impossible? Depends on what others do, but it doesn't seem he is getting the marks he deserves. Short program marks weren't insanely low, but just a litttle low.

I don't find much to enjoy in Plushy's skating now. His jumps were once so terrific - now the landings seem very hard and heavy. The jumps and his consistency and energy were always his strengths, but with the jumps looking like they do, the obvious shortfalls are even more glaring.

I respect Evan's work, consistency and fitness, but he is just not an artistic, expressive skater. I think he has a good chance to medal., and even though he doesn't move me, I would be happy for him.

I love Daisuke and Oda, and if they skate clean they should beat both Evan and Plusy, but I don't think it will happen.

Don't get the Lambeil thing at all. Yes, the spins are great, but he often looks awkward and out of control to me. His landings often look like he is about to sit down, and he has no line when he lands - no stretched leg and no lifted upper back. Just not my deal. I do see his strengths, but I love a long line so much. I think he will not stand up, as usual.

Should be a great night of skating!!

soogar

Record Breaker
"Russia also lacks the political muscle to help him out.

Could you explain? Is it as simple as Russia lacking a judge on the free skate panel? Because the political muscle would seem to be hardly ever a question[/QUOTE]

IMO, because I don't profess to be an expert on secret judging, Russia would need skaters in other disciplines to "hold down" in favor of biased judging. At least that was the way it seemed in 6.0 judging where supposedly Fassi engineered a deal to hold down Jan Hoffman in men's skating for his skater Robin Cousins and allow Anette Poetsch to win gold in ladies. With North Americans holding favored positions in mens and dance- and the Japanese and Koreans holding favored positions in ladies (and men- but ladies seem to be Japanese focus)- I am not sure what they have to offer in exchange for "favored" judging of Plushenko. As for Evan- US and Canada both have favored ice dance teams- could trade an ice dance gold (to Canada) for a men's gold (US).

That's just my thinking and with the Olympics in North America, I think North American teams are favored if they deliver the goods. It was like that in Salt Lake City.

Oscilla

On the Ice
He's been extremely consistent in his practice reports and seems relaxed and happy.

Actually, to me, he looked extremely nervous in his run-throughs before the SP. And according to today's article (http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20100218-00000004-sph-spo ) Nobunari had a panic fit before his SP, because he was afraid to skate after Lambiel. He thought it would be impossible, and got paralyzed with fear. But Nikolai Morozov told him to believe in all the effort he put into his training, so Nobunari "went to the rink with those words in his heart" and somehow managed not to mess up too badly. ;)

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
Actually, to me, he looked extremely nervous in his run-throughs before the SP. And according to today's article (http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20100218-00000004-sph-spo ) Nobunari had a panic fit before his SP, because he was afraid to skate after Lambiel. He thought it would be impossible, and got paralyzed with fear. But Nikolai Morozov told him to believe in all the effort he put into his training, so Nobunari "went to the rink with those words in his heart" and somehow managed not to mess up too badly. ;)

Oda looked like he was SO focused and nervous during last nights short, more-so than I think I've ever seen him. Hopefully being the next in line outside the group of 90-pointers will give him confidence for a job well done and no pressure for the free skate, which is definitely the stronger of his two programs this year. I wish him the best!

UM84

On the Ice
I'm sorry, but after seeing Plushenko in his interviews and in the stands, he just seems like and arrogant a@@hole

stevlin

On the Ice
I hope the top 3 stays as is in the order they are. However I don't see Plush winning another gold medal. For one thing, it seems that he is not a favored skater in the judges' eyes and that the "transition campaign" has been successful. Russia also lacks the political muscle to help him out.

What???? Not favored? Hah, then why is Plushenko in 1st place after the sp? His arm flapping is creepy, he doesn't skate to the music, he acts cocky on the ice, etc. The judges love him. I really hope he does not win.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Ah, poor Nobunari :eek: , so proud of him for rising above his nerves and delivering a good performance! I wish Brian, Tomas, and Jeremy could have done the same....so sad :cry:. But anyways I think Oda might medal here, I know NBC said it's between the top 3 but I don't think that's necessarily true, 5 points is one triple jump or the different between a 3a and a 3a< , this battle is far from over. I'm going to be a nervous wreck tomorrow....