Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really think Kozuka should moon the judges and because I know all the viewers would enjoy it, so should Joubert, Lambiel, and Abbott, awww yeah! :p:laugh:

Oscilla

On the Ice
Oda looked like he was SO focused and nervous during last nights short, more-so than I think I've ever seen him. Hopefully being the next in line outside the group of 90-pointers will give him confidence for a job well done and no pressure for the free skate, which is definitely the stronger of his two programs this year. I wish him the best!

I agree, he really looked very nervous. Not only during the program, but also afterwards - one would expect a skater to be happy after a clean SP at the Olympics, but he just... looked sort of resigned. Morozov actually looked happier out of the two. That being said, at least he stayed on his feet - a rather impressive feat for a guy who repeatedly stated that he can get so nervous that he can't hear his own music or feel his legs. :laugh: Hopefully this will give him confidence for the future - and the good news is that he said that he won't retire after Olympics (he will go back to University, though. :) )

My one worry is that the Japanese media seem to molest both Nobunari and Daisuke quite a lot, judging from the amount of new articles that pop up.

I rather liked this one, though:
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20100218-00000013-dal-spo
Tidbit:
"My family and my fans supported me in those very difficult times. I want to give them something back. This is why I want to perform well at those Olympics."

In his free skate he will compete with his Chaplin LP, which became a trademark program for him. "This is exactly the vehicle I wanted." The gentle comical tone of the program was created to fit the Olympics and the time has come to show it on the dream stage. "I will do things that I practiced so hard, so I believe that I'll be fine for sure."
With laughter and tears painting on the ice the image of the king of comedy, the Oda clan will aim for another trophy.
I probably killed all the poetic-ness of the descriptions... :laugh: Kudos to the writer, I was moved by this article. And it made me realize that never once I heard Nobunari say that he wants to win for himself... It's always for his family, fans, coaches; a gift of gratitude.

And this one was quite sweet:
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20100218-00000004-dal-ent
Minami Akina (If I read the kanji right ;) ) a Japanese fashion designer and creator of the MiiA brand cheers for Nobunari, because she was moved by his smile and gentle nature. :)

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think that Lambiel may falter on his jumps because he stumbled in the short program

My dream podium would be:
1. Lysacek
2. Takahashi (i'd be happy if he gets gold too)
3. Weir

What probably will happen:
1. Plushenko - he skates last and see what he needs to do
2. Lysacek
3. Oda
4. Takahashi
5. Lambiel
6. Weir

kyla2

Final Flight
Museksk8r, saying Evan Lysacek makes you "ashamed to be an American" is pretty low on many levels. He deserves your respect and nothing less. He works his head off trying to put together great programs. I am not a Rachael Flatt fan but I sure do respect her work ethic and the effort she puts out there. I have never been "ashamed to be an American." I count my lucky stars that I am one. You sure should too.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I just realised tomorrow is gonna be the last time I'll see jawdropping Plushy and breathtaking Lambiel compete :cry: Just for that I hope they have the skates of their lives..

To a much lesse extent I hope the same for Evan and Weir , never a fan of either but its the end of an era and it will be nice to end their carreers on a high note..

ARipp42014

Medalist
Wow in nearly 26 hours and 20 minutes we'll finally have a winner! *sighs* Who do you think will skate in Torino next month?

Recent tweets:
Jeremy: The sun is shining here in Vancouver, and I am loving life! Good practice today! On to tomorrow! Damn the Torpedos... No regrets!

(and from other skaters)
JoRo: OMG Ellen DeGeneres is now following me on twitter! I love you Ellen :)
Mirai: I've got no news... All the fun is in Vancouver
Rachael: Way to go @lindseyvonn !!!!!!

Last edited:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I have never been "ashamed to be an American." I count my lucky stars that I am one. You sure should too.

Right now, I dearly wish I was in Europe so I could take advantage of their many Olympic streams. But I'm stuck in the US where NBC refuses to broadcast most events, keep the streaming to premium cable subscribers, and shut down any pirate feeds they find. Plus, Western Europe has much faster internet speeds. Oh god why am I cursed to be American? Why?:cry:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Where's the vomit emoticon? Seeing all the hyped love and salivation over same old, blah, unmusical, arm flailing, horrible 3Axel technique, quadless, greasehead, labored Evan makes me ashamed to be an American. I'm sorry, I just don't get at all what anyone sees in the guy's skating. I can think of several skaters around the world who are leaps and bounds better than he is. Just because he's a tough competitor doesn't mean he should get high PCS as if he's this great artist on the ice that he is not. I'd rather have anyone win but Evan.

I don't like him (much) either, but this statement makes me raise my eyebrows just a bit. Is he really that repulsive to you? Really? :unsure:

I admit, not a fan of his skating, but he has a good work ethic that a lot of us can learn from.

Hate his interviews though. They make me cringe.

Last edited:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Didn't you find ilemi.com? They had the whole thing. Last night it was the first Olympic link.

Of course, but I'd still rather have a professional stream from a reputable source, preferably in high-def. And the feeds I do fine get shut down a lot, by NBC and other media mafia types. The exporting of copyright monopoly is another reason being American makes me queasy. And after all, you can't spell queasy without USA.

Last edited:

screech

Final Flight
Don't get the Lambeil thing at all. Yes, the spins are great, but he often looks awkward and out of control to me. His landings often look like he is about to sit down, and he has no line when he lands - no stretched leg and no lifted upper back. Just not my deal. I do see his strengths, but I love a long line so much. I think he will not stand up, as usual.

Should be a great night of skating!!

Thank you! I always feel so alone when I say how I don't get the Lambiel thing either. Yes, he's great, but I don't find him to be as insanely special as people make him out to be. And with all the talk about people doing/not doing the quad, I find it more insane that so many people hype up a skater without the (essentially) mandatory triple axel. To me not having a triple axel is much more horrendous than not having a quad...

IMO he should be in 6th after the SP, behind Johnny and just barely ahead of Chan.

yangjie

On the Ice
why do so many people here criticize lambiel?

i know he couldnt jump 3A, and he got little bit high PCS.
but he have been leading the men's figure skate field for a couple of years.
i think he was fairly judged and wll have the chance to get a medal.

kyla2

Final Flight
Yeah you're right Desert Rodent, America needs to worry about whether you have access to "high-def feeds."

bibi24

Final Flight
Hey, give Plushy some credit. He worked really hard to improve his spins. They used to be even worse ;)

Plushenko always had great extension on his camel spins, and he used to perform the rare donut/catch-foot and biellmann spins before going the masculine route.

rain

Record Breaker
Sorry, posted my thoughts on my trip to the men's SP in the wrong thread. I've moved it to the SP thread.

Last edited: