Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 58 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Maybe there should be jumping and skating competitions apart? would this be the solution?

I think figure skating is so much more than just jumps, which also should be included in winning program, of course. I prefer clean triple more than a quad just hold on. In time of 6'0 s some techinally good skaters got high scores of tehcniques but they artistic scores were only couple of tithings lower even they were no artistics at all. I think this has improved. Good spins were not awarded almost at all. Jump-jump-jump programs look quite boring. But today, I trust the judges. Some programs looked better than scored and contrariwise, but I trust there was some kind of difficulties or easy moves my skills are not enough good to find out.

(I should use an internet dictionary a little again, lets hope i found the right words. )

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Maybe there should be jumping and skating competitions apart? would this be the solution?

I think figure skating is so much more than just jumps, which also should be included in winning program, of course. I prefer clean triple more than a quad just hold on. In time of 6'0 s some techinally good skaters got high scores of tehcniques but they artistic scores were only couple of tithings lower even they were no artistics at all. I think this has improved. Good spins were not awarded almost at all. Jump-jump-jump programs look quite boring. But today, I trust the judges. Some programs looked better than scored and contrariwise, but I trust there was some kind of difficulties or easy moves my skills are not enough good to find out.

(I should use an internet dictionary a little again, lets hope i found the right words. )

Grammar's a little off and some words are out-of-place, but you are definitely understandable. I'd have to agree with you as well. Figure skating is more than jumps.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I completely trust the judges though, but I might just be biased.

Ice-Lady

Rinkside
I hope only, that Lysacek will end his "graceful" career now. Enough is enough. So Evan, go unbeatable... lol

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
It was sarcasm, but there were a lot of posters like that:

Lol, I know. So what ? Canada/USA is North America. So its obvious, that canada helps usa and contrary.

That's so not true. We may both be "North America", but we're as together as England & Scotland when it comes to relations. Right next each other, but not the same country.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Sounds good, thanks. I should remember this phrase. It should belong to a very smart person.

That was either sarcasm or an insult, but I'll just take it as a compliment because compliments aren't given enough nowadays, so thank you.

Ice-Lady

Rinkside
I hope, that Plushenko wll not take part in Exhibition. If the crowd don't want to see him skate, he shouldn't. He is to much legend, to be treaten on this way.

chiocciola

On the Ice
I am so so dissapointed, not because Evan won... Congrats to all the Americans and Evan's fans with this win. Well done! As soon as he finished I understood that he was going to be a champion because he was clean, artistic...
and than I thought what if someone tries a quad and fall on it, while the rest components would be better than Evan did... would it be fair to win? And that's exactly what happened... I dunno what commentators said in your countries but in Russia they said that Dai was going to do a quad because it would not be mannishly to yield, avoid a quad and win. It doesn't matter if I land it, it's just that I'll feel guilty and pity afterwards... and he felll... while the rest of the program was fantastic! and I am so so sorry that he did not win...that's the only performance I truly enjoyed today!!! BRAVO!
What's for Zhenya - if he had landed all the jumps perfectly without "saving" a couple of them, he'd won... I didn't like the way he performed today, very slow...Of course all Russians say he was underscored... I can't say anything about scoring, I felt it was not proper to win with such skating!

This outcome left sad feelings - I feel sad because men do not need quads anymore, they are not likely to perform them, not motivated to risk, we get more and more 3+2 combos... while ladies can do 3A, 3+3(((

The same sad feeling I got after pairs, because silver medalists were clean in both progrmas and deserved a gold... it was a matter of "thank you" to give the gold to Shen-Zhao.

The judges have made their choice, Joubert, Verner can never come back - they are not welcome here anymore... What about making a quad an obligatory element... you have to do it, land it - ok, you get good points, not - get reductions, let it be a separate element counted in TES. That would be fair, I guess! You understand that you are going to lose in this, but gain in other components... tha balance will win and not cowardice (did not mean anuone in person)...

What do you think?

Oscilla

On the Ice
What do you think?

I think that if a liked, artistic skater won without a quad, nobody would ever suggest it... I don't remember anybody complaining when Jeff Buttle won over Brian 2 years ago. I wouldn't want the quad to become a necessary element - I believe that a performance like Jeff's should win over a less wholesome performance with a quad. If Jeff skated here as well as he skated at Worlds 2008, I would be more than happy to give him the gold again. :)

Oscilla

On the Ice
In my post on the previous page I forgot to put the link to the article and its summary... Here it is:

http://www.iza.ne.jp/news/newsarticle/sports/other/359639/

His first Olympics ended with accident.

"I'm too shocked for words. Everything just went blank," said Oda with a painful expression.

As the program continued, he could feel the shoelace coming undone. "I thought I'll make it until the end of the program, but everything fell apart." He continued the program after fixing the shoelace, but suffered a deduction because of the interruption.

He avoided doing the quad. "I wasn't feeling good enough to challenge it. I have the feelings of regret." The skater was in pessimistic mood.

His famous ancestor Nobunaga drew blood, but Nobunari is a kind-hearted good young man. He lives with his parents and his married sister, and their house is always full of laughter. A man who cannot help smiling perfectly represents the world of Chaplin, the king of comedy, on ice.

He couldn't qualify for Torino, because his Nationals victory was reversed because of a scoring mistake. He has also experienced a suspension from competitions. The 22-years old sentimentalist, who suffered through bitter experiences on his road to Olympics, this time couldn't cry tears of joy.

screech

Final Flight
I love all the talk about a North American conspiracy. I guess that means in Sochi if a European competitor wins it means they didn't deserve it and it was just politics.

As for it being because NBC paid money to air the games... um, so did networks all over the world.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
His first Olympics ended with accident.

"I'm too shocked for words. Everything just went blank," said Oda with a painful expression.

As the program continued, he could feel the shoelace coming undone. "I thought I'll make it until the end of the program, but everything fell apart." He continued the program after fixing the shoelace, but suffered a deduction because of the interruption.

He avoided doing the quad. "I wasn't feeling good enough to challenge it. I have the feelings of regret." The skater was in pessimistic mood.

His famous ancestor Nobunaga drew blood, but Nobunari is a kind-hearted good young man. He lives with his parents and his married sister, and their house is always full of laughter. A man who cannot help smiling perfectly represents the world of Chaplin, the king of comedy, on ice.

He couldn't qualify for Torino, because his Nationals victory was reversed because of a scoring mistake. He has also experienced a suspension from competitions. The 22-years old sentimentalist, who suffered through bitter experiences on his road to Olympics, this time couldn't cry tears of joy.

Aww. =( I seriously thought he hurt himself after he stopped, but this is sad too.

You can redeem yourself at Sochi, Nobu! I look forward to it!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I love all the talk about a North American conspiracy. I guess that means in Sochi if a European competitor wins it means they didn't deserve it and it was just politics.

As for it being because NBC paid money to air the games... um, so did networks all over the world.
:rofl:

Ice-Lady

Rinkside

No, it doesn't mean it. Is only in NA, that games ends in disaster. It#s doesn't matter in Europe or Asia, but everything was ok. I think it is a little bit strange, that SLC and now V have scandals in FS. And for Sochi i am sure, that all athletes will betreaten fair. Look at WC in moscow 2005, how friendly crowd was to everybody--> EVERYBODY

aftertherain

Record Breaker
No, it doesn't mean it. Is only in NA, that games ends in disaster. It#s doesn't matter in Europe or Asia, but everything was ok. I think it is a little bit strange, that SLC and now V have scandals in FS. And for Sochi i am sure, that all athletes will betreaten fair. Look at WC in moscow 2005, how friendly crowd was to everybody--> EVERYBODY

I look forward to seeing that in the global news.

And everyone was really treated poorly in Los Angeles last year. Yu-na should've gotten 250 points instead of 207 and Evan won because he cheated.

Meh. I'm not a judge, and I highly doubt you are as well.

I look forward to seeing you on the judging panel when you get your credentials. Then maybe, and hopefully, every figure skating competition would be judged fairly in every country and we'd have less skaters flapping their arms trying to fly on the ice.

Last edited:

chiocciola

On the Ice
I have just read the protocols... How come Evan got higher TES than Plushenko??? He did swing during flying bat landed them all well. I remember Evan's jumps, they lacked height, power in comparison with Zhenya and were scored even better...

I am against all the politics talk and unfair judging! Judges help their natives... you remember overscoring Carolina in Torino, Hughes in SLC...but I would not go that far... it does not mean that the judges in Sochi will overscore evrybody from Soviet Union, it's ridiculous!

jennylovskt

Medalist
My first instinct was, "I hate figure skating!"

After a few hours gathering my thoughts and sorting out my reasons, I have concluded that I still love figure skating, but I hate CoP! I have never hated CoP system as much as I do now!

What CoP has brought out?! First it has undermined the artistry and the beauty of the skating, then it has ditched the technical level of the skating. Now there is really not much difference between men's skating and ladies's skating. It has distroyed the charm and the excitement of the men's skating that I loved the most. Why should I watch the men? I'd better go to watch the ladies, or don't watch it at all.

On a happier note, ha, I could still find a happier note,:p Evan will retire. All my favorite skaters are still competing.:love: I'll enjoy their skating for a while until what CoP brought makes me absolutely sick of it.

Last edited:

Ice-Lady

Rinkside
I look forward to seeing that in the global news.

And everyone was really treated poorly in Los Angeles last year. Yu-na should've gotten 250 points instead of 207 and Evan won because he cheated.

Meh. I'm not a judge, and I highly doubt you are as well.

I look forward to seeing you on the judging panel when you get your credentials. Then maybe, and hopefully, every figure skating competition would be judged fairly in every country.

Last year it was ok, that Lysacek won. He was better than other competitors. But this time, I think that Plushenko and even Takahashi were better.

PS: I am saying of bad treatment, because I have read a lot of full of hate commnets about Plushy before he started his SP. I read a lot of comments in Russia, and nobody said such things about Lysacek or other skaters. Nobody wanted to see them falling.

Last edited:

Mehdi

On the Ice
OMG

I just can't believe they've done this.
In my mind, right after Plushenko's performance, there was not the slightest doubt about who would/should win it.

I have real respect for Evan. He is a great champion, a gracious guy and his two performances in these games were really gutsy. He's definitely done his job. That said, come on ! No quad, no 3axel/3toe combination, average elements all the way through, no effortless skating quality, decent presentation but nothing to die for ... Yes, a remarkable effort on transitions before jumps and I won't argue this has to be rewarded. And then I saw Plushenko. I've never liked Plushenko's skating and although, yesterday's Plushenko was far from the one from the 2000/2002 era, when I think he peaked, his program was in my opinion the only olympic champion's performance of the evening.

2010's gold medal winning free programme is the weakest since ... 1994. And 1988 was so much better...

The new system kills my love for the sport a bit more every time. Everybody performing the same mechanical elements. Skaters not even trying their weaker triples and doing up to 3 double axels in a programme because diversity is not rewarded. Arms flying around to give an illusion of artistry and get the points in PCS. Akward neverending straitline steps ... The list could be long.

Well, regardless of my opinion on the judging, congratulations to Evan. That was gutsy. Although I don't think you deserved to defeat Plushy yesterday, you are the first non-Russian/Soviet skater to win the men's OGM since ... Brian Boitano !