Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

Big Deal

Final Flight
Well, I've never said I'm a fan of Lysacek and his reactions, because I'm not.
Yes, I know what sportmanship means. Respect your contenders!! That is what does it mean! Please, keep it.
Spontaneous reactions I can accept, being a sportman myself. Pre- decided PR fluffs, I can not accept. As simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:

lubov27

Rinkside
What kind of sportmanship was when Plushenko has finished his SP he pulled out his unvisible sword in the middle of the rink, lifted up and put it back to his belt with a carriaage of a war hero. Almost like saying " I've killed them all right now!! " It was nothing to do with a respect of the other competitors just a part of his self-advertising circus like circulating in the middle of the rink minutes after he was called to start his programs. He also never missed not to have a final position in the end of a program (like he did also in Torino), just circulating around the rink for about 1 minute or more before a bow, celebrating himself. His overwhelmed pride and "narcism" also avoid him to pay attention to any kind of musics during his programs nowdays. He just don't care.Ughhhhh.

I really would like to see him lose because of his bad sportmanship!

I never thought I will wish someone to lose in my life, I've never did it before!

this comment is sooo ridicolous!
i conclude your favourite didn't skate well and you show off your frustration
well
you WON'T change hes first
and you WON'T do anything about final result

get a life!

p.s and yeah i ll respond if i admit it's worth to do

Last edited:

ranjake

Final Flight
how have plushenko's long programs been this year? does he usually hit all of his jumps? or double a few? i don't think i've ever seen him fall; does he?

Medusa

Record Breaker
how have plushenko's long programs been this year? does he usually hit all of his jumps? or double a few? i don't think i've ever seen him fall; does he?

He doubled one at Europeans in the LP, and one at Cup of Russia in the SP. But no falls so far.

Alatariel

On the Ice
He doubled one at Europeans in the LP, and one at Cup of Russia in the SP. But no falls so far.

Medusa, considering we saw 4-3-2 in practice with a single quad after think he'll go for the double quad in the LP? Considering the pimp spot my guess is that it'll depend on the previous skaters and how they do.

taikwan

On the Ice
^^Agree^^ Why not celebrate a great free skate? ahh Candolero - loved the sword in that one.

ranjake

Final Flight
has he done 2 quads in most of his lp's this year? i know he's capable of it- but is he likely to need it here?

gracefulswan

On the Ice
Yes, I think he's changed his mind now and will go for 2 quads.... He really has no choice if Lysacek and Takahashi skate clean.... They will most likely get higher PCS and thus he has to make up the points elsewhere.... They could also outscore him on TES too if he doubles a triple...or falters on a quad...

Oh, and to the person who said that "I hope he loses".... what a bad and bitter attitude you have! If Plushenko medals and even wins silver or bronze he WON'T have lost anything.... He'll have gained a THIRD olympic medal.... and how many men can claim to have done that? oh, yes, he could still falter and end up off the podium, but i'm sure it won't be because he didn't try his best. he just stated in another article that he'll accept any result: fifth,fourth,third, second... it's the other guys who have more to lose in case you didn't know...

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I just want to Lambiel on the podium. He is so cute..(and I am old enough to be his mother). Denis Ten is a skater I wait to see, too. He is almost same age as my own son, my son is couple of weeks elder.

screech

Final Flight
it was noticed he injured his foot practicing the quad this past summer/fall during the coverage last night IIRC. (or was it early this morning during the chat with Paul Wylie and Kristi Yamaguchi? it's all a blur now)... so it doesn't surprise me he's gun shy. I wish he'd go for it... but I don't think they'd give him the same credit that Jeff Buttle got four years ago (yes I'm still bitter)

Jeff's was rotated (at least within 1/4) and the scoring system was a bit different then - it made sense 4 years ago to attempt the quad and fall whereas now it doesn't really anymore.

I think Evan's strategy is the right one for him. He is .55 behind without a quad after Plush did a clean SP with a quad. If he skates lights out like at Worlds last year, I don't think he needs it to win. As insane as it sounds, he can do it. If he risks it and doesn't get credit for rotation (and from what I've seen in the past, he's not usually fully rotated) or if he two foots it, or falls, he will lose. He needs to be clean, not adventurous.

In looking at Nobu's squeaky clean quads from the practice videos, all I can say is oh my god why didn't you do one in the SP? His quads have to be the most gorgeous ones I have ever seen (and that 4/3/3!!). If he skates cleanly, Chaplin could cause him to create a huge upset and stake a claim on the podium. I personally think he should have been a couple of points higher than what he is - around 87 or so (Stephane should not be so close to him after the skate he had).

ranjake

Final Flight
brian boitano on the today show just said he doesn't think daisuke or evan should try the quad- not consistent enough. ( not that evan was going too). i'm so fricken' nervous- i hate this! i think i'm gonna go be like johnny weir and 'pledge' everything! thanks you guys for answering all my questions. i think i just hope EVERYONE skates their best, and let the medals fall where they may.

Kati

On the Ice
Lambiel on the podium is my biggest wish! And I'd love Daisuke, Johnny, Plushy, Denis Ten do well..

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What kind of sportmanship was when Plushenko has finished his SP he pulled out his unvisible sword in the middle of the rink, lifted up and put it back to his belt with a carriaage of a war hero. Almost like saying " I've killed them all right now!! " It was nothing to do with a respect of the other competitors just a part of his self-advertising circus like circulating in the middle of the rink minutes after he was called to start his programs. He also never missed not to have a final position in the end of a program (like he did also in Torino), just circulating around the rink for about 1 minute or more before a bow, celebrating himself. His overwhelmed pride and "narcism" also avoid him to pay attention to any kind of musics during his programs nowdays. He just don't care.Ughhhhh.

I really would like to see him lose because of his bad sportmanship!

I never thought I will wish someone to lose in my life, I've never did it before!

:rolleye: You are really grasping at straws to say anything you can to paint Evgeni as evil, aren't you? I can't believe you are actually trying to accuse him of disrespecting his competitors. :banging::disapp:

I interpreted Plushenko's sword waving as an attempt to maintain the Spanish matador theme, mood, and presentation of Spanish composer Joaquín Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez."

seniorita

Record Breaker
I wish Plush got rid of 3z-3t in the second half cause it scares me more than the possibility of the quad. Lutz is his prob this year. No he has not done two quads in Lp and I dont know how many points he earns with it anyway, as he has to leave else something out. And he will be exsausted. It would be cool to see 3axel-3flip sequence. I also hope Mishin doesnt tell him to water down anything even if the rest have not skated well, cause it will be a real shame, he will probably get lower pcs than lambiel, dai, and evan and in any case this will be probably the swan song program of his, so I hope he sells it like never before and whatever happens.

I bet a lunch (medusa??:p) that lambiel will be on podium or even win it, and oda has a great great lp and if he is clean and he is marked as he deserves it will be huge! It would be nice to squeeze Johny on podium as well. :)

ranjake

Final Flight
i think it's partly because of what they're doing in american media/tv. "rocky vs. ivan drago, playing darth vadar music when evgeny speaks. i guess it's great for ratings but i think it's unfortunate. the cold war is over. and then you have johnny weir speaking russian in the kiss and cry. plushenko's doing some mind games, but to me that's just sport. as long as he can back it up...

schiele

Final Flight
I bet a lunch (medusa??:p) that lambiel will be on podium or even win it, and oda has a great great lp and if he is clean and he is marked as he deserves it will be huge! It would be nice to squeeze Johny on podium as well. :)

Man, you really wanna give away those lunches, dont you? :laugh:

Alatariel

On the Ice
has he done 2 quads in most of his lp's this year? i know he's capable of it- but is he likely to need it here?

In Euros he took the second quad out, didn't need it. I don't recall now if there was a time he did the two in the LP this year, think not.

I think it is very likely he'll need it. Notice the triple combination, it's a 4-3-2 and not the 4-3 one, so he is beefing it up. I think he saw his PCS and is aware that Evan will get quite a few points extra here (let's not get into whether he should or not), he knows that in the SP his 4-3 only gave him a narrow few points in regards to the 3-3 (absolute nonsense but hey), and that Evan got a + on his 3A just a tad smaller than his (I mean honestly!) so I think he will most definitely need the second quad. He's sitting in the pretty p place so he'll know what to do, but I think he's already counting on having to do it.

On the other hand, I'd love for him to jump that quad in the later stages of the LP just to thumb their noses at it.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
plushenko's doing some mind games, but to me that's just sport. as long as he can back it up...

That's just it, love him or hate him, he is the most superior competitor, not skater (that's Lambiel or Takahashi), among all the men in this championship and he does almost always deliver the goods when the pressure is on. I have to respect him for that, even if I don't particularly like his style on the ice.

fairly4

Medalist
i actually agree with brian- and not do quad for daisuke and evan- due to consistency.
but hey that is just me-- i am not skating for a medal. i can take the easy way out and state what i might due even though i am not skating.