Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 60 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

chiocciola

On the Ice
Hey, how are 3-2-2 scored compared to 4-3? Quite many men did the 3-2-2 and I think 4-3 should be more valuable, but is it? I had sometimes also the feeling that this reminds much the ladies competition.

That's the point... why lower difficulty jumps have the same value as fantastic 4-3 combo? And in one case you're not risking, in another one you should be mentally and phisically ready for it, and it takes strength.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Not much artistry, play safe strategy, rough transition moves, meaningless arm flailing = high quality interpretation, extradinary performance, outstanding choreography, great transition, first class skating skills, plus world number one technics. The worst Olympic champion in recent history. He'll be forgotten soon enough. Sorry, Evan fans, I have to vent.

Alatariel

On the Ice
Not much artistry, play safe technics, rough transition moves, meaningless arm flailing = high quality interpretation, extradinary performance, outstanding choreography, great transition, first class skating skills, plus world number one technics. The worst Olympic champion in recent history. He'll be forgotten soon enough. Sorry, Evan fans, I have to vent.

The rest of us did, so go ahead. Much good that it'll do to us.

Germanice

On the Ice
So, Evan "Klotz" Feuerstein, is the ... new
""" Olympic Champion"""??? :eek: Welcome to Stone Age, male figure skating!!! :scowl:
It has always been my favourite sport, but right now I'm totally fed up with it. I want to puke!

Last edited:

screech

Final Flight
That's the point... why lower difficulty jumps have the same value as fantastic 4-3 combo? And in one case you're not risking, in another one you should be mentally and phisically ready for it, and it takes strength.

They aren't. Evan's triple flip/double toe/double loop had a base value of 9.13 (he got 8.73). Plush's quad toe/triple toe had a base value of 13.80 (he got 14.60, which I don't get, since the quad was a bit 'off', though the triple was nice). So how exactly do they have the same value?

It makes me laugh - 4 years ago people were complaining that Jeff was attempting the quad just to get credit for it, and knowing he probably wouldn't be successful. Now people are complaining that Evan didn't attempt a quad that he knows he might not be successful with. Um, which is it?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
It makes me laugh - 4 years ago people were complaining that Jeff was attempting the quad just to get credit for it, and knowing he probably wouldn't be successful. Now people are complaining that Evan didn't attempt a quad that he knows he might not be successful with. Um, which is it?

Statements and beliefs change with the times, I guess.

Another poster brought up the topic about the triple axel between Midori Ito and Kristi Yamaguchi at the '92 Olympics as well. Now, it's just "Can Mao Asada pull it off?" and not "Does Yuna/Miki/Other Skater need to do a triple axel to beat Mao?".

Ice-Lady

Rinkside
They aren't. Evan's triple flip/double toe/double loop had a base value of 9.13 (he got 8.73). Plush's quad toe/triple toe had a base value of 13.80 (he got 14.60, which I don't get, since the quad was a bit 'off', though the triple was nice). So how exactly do they have the same value?

It's simply. As Olympic Champion you have to attemp and succed in quad. So it's both

Big Deal

Final Flight
Plushenko's arrogance costed him the OGM, not Lysacek program. He never for a moment could believe that it is gonna happen, and ignored to work more on his program to improve the level of his own from the year 2000. Common, it was 10 years ago!
I'm so HAPPY, even if Lysacek is not my favorite skater, but won fair 'n sqare!!!

Strangely enough this Olympic should be remembered as a fairly judged one !!!! I hope judges will continue to give scores based on what they had seen on the ice - even in Ice Dance !!!
Root for that!

Last edited by a moderator:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Plushenko did not cost his own win. Takahashi did not cost his own win. The judges wanted to give it to Lysacek, so Lysacek won. It is as simple as this.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I watched partially.

Koz He has among the very best skating skills. I am sorry that it's not reflected on the score. He is SO fast. He could appeal to the judges and the audience better. I like that fun SP better. But it was a great performance . Congrats.

Nob He started well. Although his axel had a turn in between, other jumps are great that rightly deserve the big GOE. But the loop. I don't know what happened. Then his boot.:cry: I heard that it was broken before he started out but he fixed it and did not change it because he did not want to have a different feel.

His dad comments, "I was surprised and thought his leg was broken or something." "I was happy to see his Olympic performance and he made great efforts without giving up." "He needs to take care of the tools and should do properly from the daily life. His elevator doesn't really go all the way to the top."

I am not sure how much this incident affected the scores. Technically, I do not see any affect. He was doing well before and after the accident. But performance-wise, it is not good to have a break like that. Yet, judges may not care that much. He lost two points for deduction and his PCS may or may not have been higher. He looked rather stiff. If he could relax a bit more, this program will be a great one to watch. I hope that he becomes a world champ at the Worlds.

Lambi His program was very beautiful and classy. He is also such a beautiful man to watch. Somehow, I am afraid he looked pretty slow. Most of his jumps were so labored. He often saves points with the landing that's almost like a sit position. His spins were truly wonderful. But his steps were not particularly impressive. I am afraid that he was held up both in SP and LP.

Johnny He was perfect. A perfect beauty. I really liked that performance. It is also a rare opportunity to see him do so many combos. with one of them 3-2-2! One thing that I noticed is that his ice coverage was small. But I think that he was faster than Lambi.

Dai That was surely the most entertaining program among the ones that I watched. I really love the performance. It has so much in 4 mins. He looked really really relaxed and enjoying himself and reaching out the audience and judges. It was great.

He failed in the quad. I had expected that his chance of landing it cleanly would be like 5% considering the practice reports. I hoped that he'd pop it into a triple but it was like the worst type of fall in terms of point deduction because it was accompanied by DG. But other than that and other minor mistakes, it was a good performance.

Evan He was clean, but his iffy 3As, small jumps, and choreos did not impress me. The last one minute with the intense music was really good, but the rest of the mellow music did not match his style. His arms stood out. My father commented that he looked slam-bang and didn't get why he won.

Plushenko I thought him really fun to watch. This was a 200% more interesting program than his SP. His jumps were great and his 4-3 looked very nice. His spins were good, his jumps were good, his steps were good. I didn't get why he lost. Why did he have a double axel, BTW? I thought that he could have done another quad. I am sorry that he lost. I didn't get it.

BigJohn

On the Ice
Completely ridiculous that Plushenko would match even Lysacek in PC scores. Beating Chan? Gimme a break. His mark were boosted, just like in the SP. Great transition, standing still and doing dramatic poses. That makes a great transition. Learn to skate between jumps. No way this would be this highly marked if he was not Russian.

Will he eat his humble pie? Doubt it. Will he vanish into the night now? Let's hope so. His return did nothing good for the sport.

And he was beaten by a woman for the gold, according to him. LOL.

Great skate for Lysacek who had the skate of the night. Not a fan of him by any stretch, but he's the deserving winner.

I just hope this puts to rest the whole "you need a quad" nonsense. With the ugly Diva not given gold and the angry Frenchman down in 16th, it makes the point rather clearly.

This is not a bad result at all.

Ice-Lady

Rinkside
Plushenko's arrogance costed him the OGM, not Lysacek program. He never for a moment could believe that it is gonna happen, and ignored to work more on his program to improve the level of his own from the year 2000. Common, it was 10 years ago!
I'm so HAPPY, even if Lysacek is not my favorite skater, but won fair 'n sqare!!!

Strangely enough this Olympic should be remembered as a fairly judged one !!!! I hope judges will continue to give scores based on what they had seen on the ice - even in Ice Dance !!!
Root for that!

This Olympic should be remembered as bad organized one, with one death and ridicolous judges. Plushenko is not only a genius, he is a legend, Lysacel is nothing comparing to Plush. A lot of sportsmen from lot of contries talking about bad room, awful food, and a lot of other memorable moments. The Best one was at the opening ceremony. I can not understand that. Canada has enough money, so what's the problem to do it properly...

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Okay so

Wuzrobbed:
-Johnny (i'm not a fan but he rocked it last night!)
-Oda (the commentators were talking about how his skating was juniorish, which I strongly disagree with, he can't help it that he's small - just because he looks like a junior skater doesn't mean he skates like one)
-Daisuke (so much better than Chan, and better artistry than Stephane)

Wuzgifted:
-Lambiel (he was so uptight and awkward in that performance, not the Stephane we are used to, did some cool spins and that was about it - all his jumps were forced and shaky)
-Chan (he is a beautiful skater, but with his mistakes he did not deserve a higher score than Johnny, Oda, and Daisuke)
-Jeremy (I was really surprised his score was that high, I mean he did alright but was definitely super tight and had a lot of funny looking jumps, plus two big mistakes, clearly out of his element as well, I guess the 9th place finish reflects that, even if the score doesn't).

Dissapointments:
Verner :disapp:(saw it coming, started out with such a nice quad too...please pull a Miki Ando and come back next year reinvented and fighting with a vengeance and win worlds :) please.)
Joubert :eek:(this was more of a shock, feel so bad for this dude, his heart was just not in it at all last night, he didn't even add on combinations that's how sad he was. 16th place has got to be hard to swallow. Please don't quit)

Another thought. After Joubert bombed I noticed how thin most of the skaters looked in comparison to football player-like with his broad shoulders. I mean the best guys are all either tiny men in general (Oda, Ten. Taka, Kozu, Brezina, Chan) or are very thin (Lysacek, Plushenko, Weir, Lambiel). Maybe Joubert's ripped physique is hurting him not helping him? I mean, muscles like that probably wouldn't hurt any athlete, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't help! Sad though, I like how Joubert is still a manly man out there.

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I just hope this puts to rest the whole "you need a quad" nonsense. With the ugly Diva not given gold and the angry Frenchman down in 16th, it makes the point rather clearly.

This is not a bad result at all.

Judging from the last twenty or so pages, definitely not.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
This Olympic should be remembered as bad organized one, with one death and ridicolous judges. Plushenko is not only a genius, he is a legend, Lysacel is nothing comparing to Plush. A lot of sportsmen from lot of contries talking about bad room, awful food, and a lot of other memorable moments. The Best one was at the opening ceremonies. I can not understanf that. Canada has enough money, so what's the problem to do it properly

I respect your opinion and all, but what does bad food and rooms have to do with Plushenko and Lysacek?

And in case you haven't noticed, the world is suffering from an economic crisis. China's Opening Ceremony was epic, for sure, but not everyone can be like China...

Aerten

Spectator
"... fairly judged one" ? Especially fairly judged Dube/Davison and Patrick Chan.
"I hope judges will continue to give scores based on what they had seen on the ice - even in Ice Dance !!!" Be sure that EVEN in Ice Dance Virtue/Moir would be highly overscored.

I'm very disappointed with the Olympic Games.

Ice-Lady

Rinkside
I respect your opinion and all, but what does bad food and rooms have to do with Plushenko and Lysacek?

And in case you haven't noticed, the world is suffering from an economic crisis. China's Opening Ceremony was epic, for sure, but not everyone can be like China...

It shows that organisation doesn't work at all. Fairness was taken out before competition. It's not only about a money, it's about Goodwiil to do it well. And fair.

PS: I didn't say one word about Chan, I think it's not nessecary tu discuss his 5 place

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
I'm so thrilled for Evan! Everyone in the room was cheering for him so needless to say we are pretty happy for him.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
It shows that organisation doesn't work at all. Fairness was taken out before competition. It's not only about a money, it's about Goodwiil to do it well. And fair.

PS: I didn't said one word about Chan, I think it's not nessecary tu discuss his 5 place

Chan? Wait. Are you talking to me? I didn't say anything about Chan either ... I said China .. you know, the country that borders Russia and is the country with the biggest population in the world ...

But if you're not talking to me, then oops.