Pang and Tong Announce Relationship | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pang and Tong Announce Relationship

zzjlwh

Spectator
Now what about Zhang and Zhang? Are they a couple? Is that what would take for them to have more connection on ice? They almost look like they don't like each other they are so unconnected. But then Virtue and Moir are not a couple on ice but still very well connected on ice. So who knows. Good for Pang and Tong.

Z/Z said they were brother and sister,not sweethearts.They are in good relationship,Zhang Hao always take care of his partner.
But I believe that they would be a couple in the future.They have become pairs since teenagers.There is an Chinese idiom "green plums and a bamboo horse",it means :a man and a woman who had an innocent affection for each other in childhood.In Chinese tradition,this is one of conditions to get good marrage.They were destined,just like S/Z and P/T.
After coming back,P/T told the China press they would continue to skate unless they are in bad condition.You know,something were not desided only by them.

feraina

Record Breaker
Just read a really long and detailed interview with Pang/Tong:
http://sports.sohu.com/20100304/n270579622.shtml
Sorry, it's too long to translate right now. A few interesting tidbits:
-- They were asked about time violation in the SP, and low levels on some moves; they replied that they might not have executed some moves as well as they could have, they will work on making them better, same with the time violation, a problem they already encountered once at a GP event.
-- They are in really good shape right now because they had especially good off-ice physical conditioning and medical treatment this Olympic season, that's why they could skate so well, and that's what's making them hesitate about retiring after this season. In any case, they plan to skate at World's, and they will try to forget what they achieved at the Olympics and focus on their training. Another reason why they are hesitating is that the young Chinese pairs are developing rather slowly, and that they don't want to see China left with only one or two spots at World's.
-- They wanted to get new exhibition choreography from Morozov for the gala, but he was too busy being with his student Miki Ando, so they ended up keeping their Adagio exhibition.
-- It turns out they hadn't even had a chat about their relationship before Tong announced at the press conference that they're now "a couple"! Pang said she was happy, but surprised.
-- Tong joked that the only thing that has changed is that now they can order two flavors when buying ice cream, and swap half way through so that they can taste both flavors. ;)
-- Tong told Pang, Hey, now we can hold hands when we walk on the street. She made fun of him. And then when they actually tried it on the street, it felt so awkward that they laughed and had to let go. They said they sometimes held hands in the past too, but it felt very natural, just like holding hands on the ice, they never thought much about it.
-- They talked about presents they gave each other. Pang said the most memorable present from him was once in '98, soon after they had moved to Beijing for training, far away from their families, Tong bought her a giant stuffed bear for a birthday present. Back then, nobody had money, and he spent 200 Yuan (probably close to a whole month's pocket money for him, or at least two weeks') on the present, and she was really moved. He had planned the present, but was originally going to buy it in the evening, but when the morning practice didn't go well and he felt it was mostly his fault, he decided to run out during lunch break to get it, so that she can forget about the morning and be happy on her birthday. The stuffed bear was so big that it could hardly fit into the taxi that he took to get back to the training facility, and it took forever to pull it out of the taxi, so that he was late for practice. She still has it in her room. It's bigger than she is, she can sleep on it. :love:
-- Their parents had no idea about the romance. Her mom found out about it on TV during the interview. His mom didn't even see the interview, and found out when friends texted her to congratulate her, and she was confused -- they congratulated before already, why again?
-- When they eventually retire, they plan to stay involved with skating, as performers, promoters...
-- They love traveling but never have time with all the training. They look forward to doing more of it eventually.

Last edited:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
The latest article on Pang/Tong's website says that they feel energized by having received the record LP score at the Olympics, and they feel more motivated than ever to continue skating!

She also revealed that they will celebrate Valentine's Day together for the first time next year, because this year he didn't express his feelings for her until after V Day.

Given that Pairs SP was on 02/14, and LP was on 02/15, I think this is consistent with my hypothesis that he told her shortly before the LP, and that's why she smiled so happily throughout that whole program and was so relaxed. :)

Maybe he should propose to her just before World's, and then they can win gold there? Haha. ;)

:rock:

They're just the sweetest couple!

:love:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
why did you say that?:think: she's obviously good enough to be his partner, no? and they have an olympic silver medal together to boost.

Actually I think Zhang Dan is the weak link on this pairs team, and doesn't even look thrilled with skating anymore. And I'm one of the people who think they didn't deserve that silver medal in 2006. But my original comment had to do with off-ice/romantic coupledom, not with skating arrangements.

But let's focus back on Pang-Tong, a couple I've always liked and enjoyed, and one which I thought has gotten the shaft from judges (maybe from own federation) in previous years. I'd love to see them grab that World Gold and end their competitive careers on a high note. Then appear in some professional shows. One can dream...

feraina

Record Breaker
I certainly see them landing in some skating tours post this Olympic season. They have a fantastic exhibition program, "Adagio", that is really stunning. In the Olympics gala, I think they did both a triple twist and a triple throw, and their artistic expression is really outstanding. I think they should win a medal at World's if not a gold. If they can keep up their consistency, then maybe even gold, since their competitors all seem to falter more frequently.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I love this pair since many years. Technicians AND artists with a touch of timeless beauty.
They suffered being pushed down by their Federation and the judges far too many times.
After 2006., here is their time to repeat their World Gold maybe if they can keep everything up.
I will cross my fingers for them!

Fae

Rinkside
Just read a really long and detailed interview with Pang/Tong:
whole thing.

Thank you for translating!! I tried to read a bit of that interview but my pathetic grasp of chinese faltered and died 2 lines in. (My maternal gran would hav been mortified!)
Pang and Tong are so cute that they make my teeth hurt! haha. I'm glad that they're thinking of extending their competitive career and that they'll be at worlds in a couple of weeks =D Give S/S a good run for their $$!

feraina

Record Breaker
I always heard people say that Pang/Tong should've won silver at 2006 Olympics, and always just assumed that they were held down on PCS or GOE. But I was just looking at their performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu5XtBf8SBQ&NR=1
and then at the protocols to see where they lost points:
http://www.isufs.org/results/owg2006/OWG06_Pairs_FS_Scores.pdf
and I was very surprised to note that they were credited with a 2T as the single jump in the LP, when they did a 3T. How did this happen? Was it an error? Or something wrong with my eyes? Was it noted at the time? Was there no complaint filed? If they had been credit with a 3T, they would've won bronze over S/Z, and who knows, maybe over Z/Z for the silver with a bit of a lift in GOE.

Thoughts?

robinhood

Rinkside
watching the video I noticed that they indeed made a 3T, but Pang's look underrotated. Looking at the entire sheet of protocols there isn't a single underrotation (<) marked for the whole competition and that seems odd to me. Maybe they didn't mark it before with the intentional jump and just made the downgrade effective in the protocol...

feraina

Record Breaker
No, the under-rotation rule hadn't come into play yet in that season. It could affect the judges' GOE but there was no extra penalty -- and they did get relatively low GOE's on that jump. In any case, I don't think it should've been called a 2T. Anyone else?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
watching the video I noticed that they indeed made a 3T, but Pang's look underrotated. Looking at the entire sheet of protocols there isn't a single underrotation (<) marked for the whole competition and that seems odd to me. Maybe they didn't mark it before with the intentional jump and just made the downgrade effective in the protocol...

Yes, she certainly underotated her triple. Maybe the rule was then that if it was obviously more than 1/4 turn you just got marked for the double. Strange that no complaint was filed....I gues Yao Bin knows tha rules pretty well. The complete lack of artistry in that program made their placement fair IMO.

feraina

Record Breaker
I don't remember any such rule! Maybe Yao Bin didn't want to take away S/Z's medal? Very odd!

aurora100

Final Flight
AW!!!!

I wonder when they got together? It must be the reason why their chemistry suddenly got so much better :) :)

I recently re-watched Pang and Tong performance in 2006 Torino Olympics and they were as good but Pang didn't have that joy on her face she had in Vancouver. It was like she was floating on the ice...so happy.

Now, Zhang and Zhang has to get togeher. Goodness knows they need some spark to their technical skills.

robinhood

Rinkside
was there no underrotation rule at all? I remember shizuka not displaying the 3-3 in competition in fear they'd be called underrotated. IIRC, Lambiel got downgraded his 3A at the world championships, though he still won the lp portion