Compulsory Dance - | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Compulsory Dance -

Alatariel

On the Ice
It looked bad and they should know that, at the Olympics, the camera is always on.

Shockingly, I thought the CD results were bang on for the 6 pairs I saw. Domnina/ Shabalin were pretty much flawless. Virtue and Moir had the best twizzles and appropriate lilt showing the true character of a Tango Romantica. Davis & White were pretty good. On one of the patterns, Belbin and Agosto had a messy section right in front of the judges.

What is happening to our world when the compulsory dance results are fair???

:laugh:

Pretty much! I completely agreed with the judges last night when it comes to the first few pairs and that is really, really odd.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I gotta say I was impressed by Domina and Shablian, I really don't think they make the best image on the ice since she is so large, but the charachter was great as was the speed and cleanness. They both looked hot.

She was large? You mean her breast? What is wrong with that? You don`t like it large?

REMINDER! Tango is hot! Looks better when hot people dance it.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
She was large? You mean her breast? What is wrong with that? You don`t like it large?

REMINDER! Tango is hot! Looks better when hot people dance it.

No I meant tall. She is almost as tall as Max who is not short himself.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Domnina and Shablian skated a hot tango, they deserved to be in the lead. Good for them!

Virtue and Moire were great, I would have had them third. Scott wasn't very expressive he looked nervous. But well deserved.

Davis and White skated good but I don't get a "romantic" expression from them. I was put off though watching her roll her eyes, I thought it was snobish.

Tanith and Ben skated beautifully, best OD I have seen them skate in a while. I would have had them second. I really enjoy them and hope they medal.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Personally, I think it's curtains for Belbin and Agosto. :cry: The CD was supposed to be Davis and White's weakness, but the judges still placed Meryl and Charlie ahead of Tanith and Ben.

I doubt that the judges will put two Americans on the podium. I think the final podium will be the same as it is now, with only the order to be decided.

Unfortunately I have to agree. My prediction is that B/A in 4th. When Andrea Joyce interviewed B/A last night and asked them about their score Tanith answered and she gave the talk about they have an opportunity to move up (which is possible ) but she was not very convincing. They know. That said I am keeping my fingers crossed that B/A do medal.

GO B/A.

Audrey19

On the Ice
What is happening to our world when the compulsory dance results are fair???

Fair? I was totally shocked last night by how brazen those judges are. It's not really about the placements in the CD, but about the points and seperating the weaker technicians from the good technicians. Pretty much everyone from DomShabs to K&N was on the same level technically, with only very slight differences(probably P&B a well, but I think their presentation was lame). However the judges gave DomShabs a margin of more than 5 points compared to DelSchoes(who were majorly robbed), when all the top 6 or 7 couples should be within1.5 distance.
It seems they are going to do the same thing they did at euros and it makes me feel so depressed, I wish I wouldn't care for ice dance at all so I wouldn't mind all that injustice.
It makes me so sad to see DelSchoes basically off the podium after the CD, although they are a couple that has brought ice dance forward with their innovation and despite being the classiest team of all. IMO they are the only ones who have the grandeur of olympic champions.
:cry:

On a side note, BelGosto and DelSchoe looked awesome. I was shocked by Samuelson/Bates. Purple and red???:eek:

Last edited:

ademption

Rinkside
Unfortunately I have to agree. My prediction is that B/A in 4th. When Andrea Joyce interviewed B/A last night and asked them about their score Tanith answered and she gave the talk about they have an opportunity to move up (which is possible ) but she was not very convincing. They know. That said I am keeping my fingers crossed that B/A do medal.

GO B/A.

Yep, I thought bronze was their best chance for a medal, given their international scores all season. They've gotten slammed in the original and free dances. I don't think they will move up at all. Such a shame....

Alatariel

On the Ice
Fair? I was totally shocked last night by how brazen those judges are. It's not really about the placements in the CD, but about the points and seperating the weaker technicians from the good technicians. Pretty much everyone from DomShabs to K&N was on the same level technically, with only very slight differences(probably P&B a well, but I think their presentation was lame). However the judges gave DomShabs a margin of more than 5 points compared to DelSchoes(who were majorly robbed), when all the top 6 or 7 couples should be within1.5 distance.
It seems they are going to do the same thing they did at euros and it makes me feel so depressed, I wish I wouldn't care for ice dance at all so I wouldn't mind all that injustice.
It makes me so sad to see DelSchoes basically off the podium after the CD, although they are a couple that has brought ice dance forward with their innovation and despite being the classiest team of all. IMO they are the only ones who have the grandeur of olympic champions.
:cry:

On a side note, BelGosto and DelSchoe looked awesome. I was shocked by Samuelson/Bates. Purple and red???:eek:

Every single commentator I've heard said the same thing - DelSchoes are not what they used to be and they were weak last night. A point higher perhaps but not much more than that.

Oh yes, the purple - red - major no no. What were they thinking?

Audrey19

On the Ice
Every single commentator I've heard said the same thing - DelSchoes are not what they used to be and they were weak last night. A point higher perhaps but not much more than that.

But seriously I don't get what was wrong with their skating. But it doesn't seem to matter anyway. why don't they just skip the other dances and hand out the medals rightaway? It won't make any difference.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
But seriously I don't get what was wrong with their skating. But it doesn't seem to matter anyway. why don't they just skip the other dances and hand out the medals rightaway? It won't make any difference.

You never know what can happen to determine the medals. Remember B/A silver medal in Turin was courtesy of the top teams at the time messing up. B/A were in 6th place after the CD. I am not wishing ill on any of the teams, just saying.... The competition is not over yet even though people are predicting the outcome myself included, but to be honest my predictions have been wrong many, many times.

nastasi1212

Rinkside
Domnina Shabalin were the best tango out there, they danced with passion, fire and deserved first place so far.
Belbin Agosto were better than Davis White in my opinion
Virtue Moir desrved to be second

Domnina and Shablian skated a hot tango, they deserved to be in the lead. Good for then!
Can you explain a "HoT Tango"? and what do you think about the Tango Romantica v. Argentine Tango?
Should there only be one tango? or are there difference between the two?
Do you expect a 'Ur coming home with me tonight?' or a 'celebration of love'?

For me it's a question of judging the correct style, firstly, and then go on to Technique. The dancers in this comp should have shown romance together with technique. A few did do that, otherwise we're judging the technique of the wrong dance. :unsure:

The way some of those ladies were snapping their heads around I thought they'd get whiplash! I appreciated Tessa and Meryl for being a little more subtle.

This is the first time I actually liked Dom/Shabs! They were in a class by themselves as far as hotness goes. :rock: But Virtue/Moir were equally great in the romantic style, and Davis/White will make it a fabulous competition.

Tanith and Ben just didn't do it for me. They looked awkward but I can't say why. Not sure they look like contenders.

And Del/Schoe -- I loved their extra touches, esp. the beginning with Olivier putting on his jacket. Overall, good but not great - hopefully they're just getting their feet cold so to speak and will bring it in the OD and FD! :love:

There are two D/S in this competition and the fabulous French D/S are still in it (I hope...!). So please consider some distinctions:

Dom/Shab and Del/Schoe
D/S R and D/S F
Oksana/Maxim and Isabelle/Olivier

Or be creative - but help me know who you are talking about please! And don't write off my French D/S yet!

ARipp42014

Medalist
Now that I got some sleep and watched it again, here's what I think of the top 6.

Isa & Oli: Thought the touches were cute and performed well considering they were out for more than 15 months. Thought they were little underscored.

Rica & Massi: With the exception of Rica's "O" faces, it was good job for them. They are in striking distance and can move up with their OD (which is one my favorites this season). Oh btw Massi was :love:

Tan & Ben: Technically they skated well but it kinda left me cold. I usually like them and pray for a sweep but with Dom/Shabs skated very well, I think they might be left off.

Merlie: Like B/A, technically good but not as hot as V/M & Dom/Shabs. Maybe because I'm expecting too much from them. They'll deliever tomorrow nite!

Tessa & Scott: Guess going to Elena for help worked. It was smooth and very romantic. And Tessa's dress looks great. The skirt's too long but it was beautiful. And and Scottie looks :love: x5!

Dom/Shabs: First off, love Oksana's dress. Secondly, they deserved 1st. They were in the zone. It was hot! Plus, Max looks :love: x100! However, I think this is the only time they'll be leading. Their OD & FDs are weak this season.

Audrey19

On the Ice
A problem that the German eurosport guys pointed out is that this dance is so old and doesn't really challenge the top couples, since it originated in the 70s and ice dance has advanced since then technically. That's why they are all at the same level so a more demanding and new CD could probably help making the judging fairer and separate the wheat from the chaff.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's why I prefer the GW--and am looking forward to its being skated at Worlds! That gets us up to the 1980's, which IMO was the golden age of Ice Dance :love: T&D, K&P, B&B, Blumberts, Moiseeva & Minenkov, for that matter Barber & Slater, Annenko & Sretenski, the Duchesnays, Rahkamo & Kokko, Wilson & McCall, Engi /Toth all skated in the 1980's for part of their careers. All great teams!