Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Johnny Weir's SP: Not COP friendly enough?

I've liked his skating since he skated Seniors in 2002, His Flow and posture are second to none. He also has good jump and spin technique. Everything is there for racking up points. I think he does not get the GoEs he deserves. Of course, his androgenous style may be the blame from some judges. Points for the elements, but lacking on GoEs. Not sure of that as I have not looked at the protocols. There are so many quad jumpers tonight that if 3 or 4 land them with a decent program, he wont, imo, make the podium. I believe he must rely on a splatfest by his top competitors. In today's system, not only transitions are a must, but Quads for the men are too.

It can be a fab night. Will it?

Johnny is slower than the top 4 in speed by quite a bit and this is reflected in SS, IN, PE, CH with corridor marking. When his flow out of the Lutz is not good (like in the SP), he squeaks the 3T on the end of it and it doesn't deserve bigger marks.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    An 83 does not sound off-mark to me. His PB was a 84.60 at the GPF this December, and since he got an edge call on the flip and both the flip and the 3/3 were done very slowly and without his usual flow, i don't find the score off mark. What surprised a lot of people was how far down in the standings he was because of the huge scores some of the other guys were getting. Two judges gave him a 5.50 and a 6.75 for transitions, compared with 6.00 at the lowest for Plushenko (which is rather insane, but lets stay out of that whole drama). His spins and steps got levels 3 and 4, and + GOEs so I don't think he is losing many points there. He skating pretty much his best, and was scored fairly IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I feel that the some of the other guys may be overscored. Like two seasons ago, the really good scores you could get with triple programs were like 82. They do the same elements but get higher scores.
    Well, ultimately even if it's the case that it is other guys getting OVERmarked while Johnny does not get the same overmarking, the end result is the same, of course, and regardless should be the same/fair for everyone. But I still do think he should get more PCS and better GOE for the things he does do well.

But whatever his scoring I hope he has a good LP that he can enjoy and be proud of. I mean really, I think it would be hard to deny that he has persevered through A LOT, such as the egregious "tie" that lost him the National title in 2008 and several other major ups and downs in his skating career. Yet he has continued on and still manages to get decent results internationally -- maybe no big wins but he refuses to let himself get written off completely. But I digress, as I'm apt to do!

Medalist
    I don`t see that Johnny is slower than other top skaters. Especcialy Abbott skates much more slower in both his programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilyvalley View Post
    Johnny is the 3 number of the USA team now. That is the only reason why he has got such low marks for his perfect SP (inspite the wrong edge).

then it's not the ONLY reason. he made a mistake...

and the #3 skater is still in contention to get on the podium... anything can happen tonight, it's not like he's last place, he's in the final flight, and with the CoP it's far more possible for him to make a huge leap up... IF he gives it everything he's got and then some.

in the words of coach Herb Brooks: "Play your game!"

Medalist
    Johnny of cause can skate FS perfect but the judjes will give him the lower marks than to the 1 or 2 numbers of the teams (USA or the other).
    This is the rule of the game which is named now the FS competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I feel that the some of the other guys may be overscored. Like two seasons ago, the really good scores you could get with triple programs were like 82. They do the same elements but get higher scores.
    Yeah, EVERYONE is overscored now. I was looking at old scores from the 2006 Olympics, out of curiosity, and no one got over 79 except for Plushenko in the SP. Lambiel was the closest follower, with 79, and I think there were even some people in the top 10 with scores in the 60s (I don't have it right in front of me right now, and I'm too lazy to go find it again. :P)

Medalist
    In the 2006 Olympiics Johnny was the closest follower of Plushenkoin SP with 80. Lambiel was the third.

Quote Originally Posted by Justafan View Post
    I get the impression that no one goes against Galina. Some of the choreography that Wilson did for Johnny included butt rolls, lol...I don't know how else to say it and Galina ix-nayed that. I think Galina is too old school BUT I also think she has been able to get Johnny to stay fit and focused. As for Victor...well he is Galina's son-in-law. He's probably scared of her too.
    HAHAHAHA man I never thought she could be that frightening... althought I saw a few days ago a chapter of Johnny's show and she did look scary

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilyvalley View Post
    In the 2006 Olympiics Johnny was the closest follower of Plushenkoin SP with 80. Lambiel was the third.
    So in reality Johnny is right where he wants to be. Instead of asking why Johnny was underscored, we have to ask why the others were overscored.

Custom Title
    I think if the top 3 guys fell down twice and Johnny threw in a quad and skated perfect they STILL wouldn't give him a medal. The judges, the media seems like they are all trying to marginalize him, JMHO! Funny though that this morning his SP video was the most viewed video on the NBC Olympics site.

I thought Johnny was great in the SP. I didn't catch the jump error but it's clear on the protocols. I agree his second mark should have been stronger. I think it was a reaction to his style and costume by a group of very conservative judges.

I do not enjoy Evan Lysacek's skating (prepared to duck and cover now LOL). He overexpresses often making the movements jerky, particularly his footwork, and skating should never have a jerky quality to it. I also find that he uses his arms similarly, particualrly in his FW sequences in the LP, and it is distracting. The arm movements should complimnet the footwork, not distract from it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3