SC photo shoot pictures- from "V" Magazine | Page 7 | Golden Skate

SC photo shoot pictures- from "V" Magazine

I don't want to step into the middle of anything, LOL. But...if you're short you shouldn't want to model??? Jenny Kirk is not much taller than Sasha, and look how beautiful she looks in her Capezio ads!

As for Sasha, I think that she has earned whatever attention, publicity and opportunities have come her way. And she earned them the hard way, by her skating. Every year she has gotten better and better, she has pushed forward through setbacks and triumphs alike, and has taken both criticism and praise in stride. Whether she is your favorite or not, you can't ignore her, which I guess is the definition of a "star." Think how boring the Grand Prix series would be without her. What would we talk about on Golden Skate, LOL?

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I'm tall (5'8'') but don't get the models need to be tall line of thinking. You would think that designers would want to design for all heights (and sizes). Some styles are just more flattering on petite women while some look better on tall ones. As greedy as the fashion industry is you would think that they would find a way to cater to both. Other than reaching the top shelves long legs are sometimes over rated.

Piel

OT. Piel, what I always thought the fashion industry was getting at was something like this: You are supposed to be showing the clothes, not the model. So the model should basically play the role of a coat hanger. She should be tall, skinny and have broad bony shoulders, no hips, no breasts, so that the dress just kind of hangs from her shoulders, without any bumps and bulges interrupting the line and flow of the garment.

My 13-year old niece is very tall (5'10") and without much in the way of bulges yet. She is self conscious about her height (for one thing the basketball coach is always after her to go out for basketball, but the sport she is really interested in is swimming). However, the compensation is, she looks great in all of her clothes. She can just grab any old thing off the rack and it looks super on her, and she doesn't have to worry about whether it has horizontal stripes or whatever (like her mother, 5'1", does).

But then the "supermodel" thing came along, and the Sports Illustrated swimming suit issue, and the Victoria's secret models, and then suddenly the focus was on the model instead of on what she is modeling. Hey folks, we're selling the clothes here, not the girl, LOL.

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Mathman said:

As for Sasha, I think that she has earned whatever attention, publicity and opportunities have come her way.

Mathman

I think that is one of the ways to recognize the fans of the sport from the fans of the skater. As a FS fan you would think that someone would be happy for all skaters to receive recognition in whatever form it comes. It seems petty and silly to begrudge anyone an endorsement or bestowed honor. Recognition of any skater helps to raise the visibility of the sport which is a good thing for ALL skaters. If the sponsor chooses someone to repesent their product they most likely appreciate whatever it is that person brings with them. The folks in charge don't have to be fair, it's their game and their rules.

Piel

Z

Zhenya's Girl

SC have signed with Wilhelmina modeling agency, so she IS a model. Though too petit to work the runway, she can model for fashion magazines, like she did for "Seventeen" and now for "V."

In reality Sasha Cohen is signed with "Wilhelmina Artist Management", which basically means they find endorsements for celebrities to do. A list of their clients (which also include Timothy Goebel and Lang & Tchernyshev!) is here:

http://www.wilhelmina.com/2003/talent.html