5 PICHE/DENIS CAN 30.2
6 GUDINA/BELETSKI ISR 29.5
7 PECHALAT/BOURZAT FRA 28.2
8 BEIER / BEIER GER 27.3
9 YANG/GAO CHN 27.0
10 AURELI / VATURI ITA 25.2
11 YU/WANG CHN 22.8
12 WANG / MENG CHN 22.3

Looks like Fumie got hold of her new program. One thing good about Campbell's is that it gets the kinks out.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
But Joe, Fumie skated her LP at Campbell’s, not her SP. Stay tuned!

One thing I noted about the Pairs and Ladies results is that there is a significant trend to lower scores, particularly Skating Component scores. I looked at the scores of skaters who had previously skated at either Skate America or Skate Canada, and compared their previous scores with their Cup of China scores.

There were 5 Pair teams who had previously skated in one of those events. For all 5 teams, both Technical and total Skating Component total scores were lower, as was every single individual component score.

Shen/Zhao: Total: -5.30 Technical: -3.46 Total SC: -1.84
Pang/Tang: Total: -6.55 Technical: -3.28 Total SC: -3.16
Petrova/Tik: Total: -7.02 Technical: -3.34 Total SC: -3.68
Zag/Siudek: Total: -5.10 Technical: -2.50 Total SC: -2.60
Ding/Ren: Total: -2.88 Technical: -0.96 Total SC: -1.92

Can these differences be entirely chalked up to jet lag?

On the Ladies side, there were 4 ladies who had previously skated. Corwin’s technical score was pretty much the same as her previous event; Robinson’s technical score dropped precipitously; and Volchkova and Basova’s technical scores went up. But for all four, the total Skating Component score was lower. Corwin, Robinson and VV’s individual component scores were all lower; Basova had two slightly higher individual component scores (IN +0.10, PE +0.25). Corwin, whose technical performance was unchanged, had the greatest decrease in total SC. Robinson, who apparently had an even rougher skate than she had in Canada, had the next-to-least decrease in total SC.

Corwin: Total: -3.10 Technical: -0.14 Total SC: -2.96
VV: Total: +2.16 Technical: +3.92 Total SC: -1.76
Basova: Total: +2.98 Technical: +3.22 Total SC: -0.24
Robinson: Total: -6.10 Technical: -5.06 Total SC: -1.04

What does this mean? I am not sure, but it looks as if there is a trend to give lower SC scores across the board. The problem is that when two skaters or teams are tied in GP points, it is the total marks now that will determine the tiebreaker. Changing methods midstream isn’t fair to those who skate later in the series.

Bynx

On the Ice
euterpe said:

What does this mean? I am not sure, but it looks as if there is a trend to give lower SC scores across the board. The problem is that when two skaters or teams are tied in GP points, it is the total marks now that will determine the tiebreaker. Changing methods midstream isn’t fair to those who skate later in the series.

I've heard that the judges are being more critical and not just throwing around high scores especially in TCS as much as they've been at the previous two events.

Joe inman is on the ladies panel of judges. From what I've heard he is a very fair judge and he's not one to throw out high scores for the fun of it.

euterpe

Medalist
Under the 6.0 system, when judges gave 5.9s and 6.0s during a Grand Prix event, it didn't necessarily affect who went to the Grand Prix final. It was the ordinals that counted, not the marks, and the placement in the FS and SP that was the tiebreaker.

But under CoP, every point counts. If the judges for the first two events gave high marks and the judges for the next 4 events give lower ones, that could mean a skater from one of the first two events has the advantage in a point tiebreaker.

I thought the judges were going to wait until AFTER the GP series was over to tinker with the system.

AAaaaaaaaaaarggh!:mad:

Great results for Fumie and AP!

Thanks for the analysis Euterpe. I suppose the difference could be just differences in judgments by individual judges (maybe this is a particularly tough set of judges) or maybe even the skaters actually skted worse than before. Very bad indeed if the ISU actually told the judges to toughen up in midstream. As you say, it might make the difference between going to the GP finals and staying home for the fifth and sixth place qualifiers.

Mathman

Euterpe, now that I look again, I think that only the points awarded for first place(12 points), second place (9points), etc., are used to determine who makes the finals. I don't think that they add up the CoP points. In that case it doesn't matter so much if one panel of judges is more stingy than another.

http://www.isufs.org/events/gp2003/gpsladies.htm

Mathman

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
MM, you are partially correct. Here is the quote about ties from the ISU release

4.4 Ties
If there is a tie by added points, the following criteria will be taken into consideration for tie-breaking:
a) the best place obtained in the two designated events will count for the better place/ranking;
If there is still a tie
b) the higher total added score obtained in the designated events will count for the better place/ranking;
If there is still a tie
c) participation in two events will be considered better than having participated in only one event;
If there is still a tie
d) the higher total added score in Free Skating/Free Dance obtained in the two designated events will
count for the better place/ranking;
If there is still a tie
e) the higher total score in Free Skating/Free Dance obtained in one of the two designated events will
count for the better place/ranking;
If there is still a tie
f) the total added score in the Short Program/Original Dance obtained in the two designated events will
count for the better place/ranking.
If there is still a tie
g) the number of participants finishing the two individual events in which the tied skaters/couples have
competed, will be added to a total. The higher number of participants will count for the better
place/ranking.
If there is still a tie all skaters tied are qualified for the “Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final”.

In most cases, point (a) will solve the ties.
However, if it does not, than (b) will decide -- and that is the total of the scores for the two scoring events.

Edited to add: actually point (a) does not usually decide. Last year there were 5 dance teams with 14 points each. Point (a) could only narrow it down to 4, as 4 teams had on 2nd place and 1 3d. (The ramining team, B&A, got two 3d places). So it IS more than likely that somewhere in breaking ties actual number of points will be the determining factor.

Last edited:
Verrrry interesting analysis of the differences in the COP among skaters who have competed in previous GP events. My gut feeling is that the judges are either getting the hang of the Component system or the ISU sent down a dictum--or maybe both.

Whatever the case, I think anytime you have a significant change in a judging system for a sport, some athletes are going to get screwed. I hate to say it, but it's the price of progress. And we have yet to see what might happen when the judges go back to the 6.0 system for Nats and Worlds. Yikes!

OTOH, I was watching the Jim McKay documentary on HBO early this morning. He goes through some of the great triumphs and heartbreaks of his years covering Wide World of Sports. The one I remember was Jim Ryun's second Olympics. He was America's greatest miler and in the last heat before the final, all he had to do was ease on down the track and finish in the top four. About a minute into the race, Ryun's legs got entangled with another runner's and he fell--fell hard. No way to catch up, but he finished the race. The impressive thing was the grace with which he handled his misfortune and moved on to eventually become a congressman in Kansas.

I know falling is not the same as funky judges, but in a way it all comes under the "X" factor. I think the ISU needed to change the judging system, with or without the scandal in SLC, so no matter when they did it or how they did it, there were bound to be glitches. It's heartbreaking for the athletes who get caught in the net, but whenever you have people involved in a system, stuff like this is bound to happen. Even without human error, as they say, doo-doo happens. I just hope that the athletes who are affected can rise above it and move on. And just remember, Speedy isn't going to be in charge forever. I'm sure they'll find someone worse, lol.
Rgirl