Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Funeral for quads

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Funeral for quads

under the new rules, i totally understood that quads are worthless.

so today , february 18 2010, the quads are dead, and a new figure skating age has begun .

but since we miss 'the quads', i would like to hold 'the FUNERAL for quads'.

in this thread, everyone can say 'good bye to the quads'.

so first of all let me say:

GOOD BYE , QUADS. I WILL REALLY MISS YOU.

but the rules have changed. these are the new rules that the jugdes, americans & canadians wanted to create.

Bye quads!!! I never liked you!!!!! Don't come back, ever!!!!!!

Hello well rounded skating! Sit down, have a beer, glad you could make it!

Custom Title
    They're not dead... they're still basically required for those who can't do anything but jump! It's one of many ways to get points. When Dai gets a consistent quad (which I fully believe he'll keep working towards) then everyone else damn well better look out cause dude will be untouchable.

Rinkside
    What a disappointment.

Quads are one of the main reasons I bother watching men's figure skating. I really really hope this isn't the beginning of a new trend: quadless olympic champions. Blech.

Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    You know it is - one powerful country or two have a bunch of mediocre jumpers and all of a sudden we get a new future of skating. The moment the US gets an actual quad jumper, we will once again see a shift towards that aspect of skating. It's just how the world works.

It's not good bye to quads, it's a temporary good bye to quads until the US actually produces someone who can do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alatariel View Post
    You know it is - one powerful country or two have a bunch of mediocre jumpers and all of a sudden we get a new future of skating. The moment the US gets an actual quad jumper, we will once again see a shift towards that aspect of skating. It's just how the world works.

It's not good bye to quads, it's a temporary good bye to quads until the US actually produces someone who can do them.
    Maybe you forget Tim Goebel and how CoP was originally designed to make sure that even if he put down not one - but THREE - quads in a program it wouldn't be enough to win unless he showed all around artistry.
    Maybe you forget Elvis, the best jumper of his era not winning because his other elements were not considered strong enough.

You make it sound like Plushy is the first skater ever to lose with a quad.

Maybe Timothy Goebel -- the quad king! --- three quads per program!! -- will return, and put skating back on the right track.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    They're not dead... they're still basically required for those who can't do anything but jump! It's one of many ways to get points. When Dai gets a consistent quad (which I fully believe he'll keep working towards) then everyone else damn well better look out cause dude will be untouchable.
    I totally agree. I believe it says that if you want to do the quad and be mediocre in everything else, fine. You'll win and you'll lose. But if you find the quad, jumps along side footwork, transitions, musicality and persona, watch out.

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Bye quads!!! I never liked you!!!!! Don't come back, ever!!!!!!

Hello well rounded skating! Sit down, have a beer, glad you could make it!
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's not just about the quads. It's about all-around performance.
    Ditto. The lightbulb just hasn't clicked on for some yet

Last night lacked a lto of things, one of them being quads.How many quads were attempted? How many were ok? How many quad + combo were there?
    Now look back at 2002 - we've gone backwards. and it's not as if artistry is better either.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quads are high risk and the skaters can get almost as many points with combination jumps, or by jumping in the second half of program.
    If they fall on a quad, they get hardly any points at all. I agree that quads should be rewarded with higher scores than they are because not many people can do them and because they are so risky. I admire the few guys last night who did try or land the quads, such as Kozuka, Takahashi and Plushenko. However, one quad combination does not win a gold medal. The new COP system takes into account every single little element and Lysaceck and his coach have been very smart to train in this system and maximize his points.

In the early 2000s, Timothy Goebel was the quad king, but his programs lacked artistry so that is why he did not win back then, and that is why Evgeny lost out now. Evgeny should have made his comeback 2 years ago so that he could become familiar with how the COP system has changed.

A similar thing is going on in the ladies program. Mao Asada plans to do triple axels to score higher points to overcome lower scores she receives in other elements. Kim Yu Na has the whole package, and doesn't need to do the triple axel to win. Evan Lysaceck has the whole package under the COP, so he doesn't need the quad to win.

AND.. finally, I think Evan would have been happy with the silver medal. I don't think he really thought he could beat Plushenko.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Quads are not dead, they just aren't the heavier side of the scale anymore. There's more a required equality between athleticism & artistry. Which is the way it was always meant to be, but hadn't been for a while.

Not saying CoP is perfect. It's got a lot of glitches to work out.
    Last edited by CzarinaAnya; 02-19-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Yes. Goodbye quads, maybe I'll see you guys again at Worlds in a month.

This thread is so dramatic.

Sincerely,
    Apparent Evil American who, along with the entire population of North America, designed the CoP system

I think the quad is over rated, just saying...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast