Funeral for quads | Golden Skate

Funeral for quads

yangjie

On the Ice
under the new rules, i totally understood that quads are worthless.

so today , february 18 2010, the quads are dead, and a new figure skating age has begun .

but since we miss 'the quads', i would like to hold 'the FUNERAL for quads'.

in this thread, everyone can say 'good bye to the quads'.

so first of all let me say:

GOOD BYE , QUADS. I WILL REALLY MISS YOU.

but the rules have changed. these are the new rules that the jugdes, americans & canadians wanted to create.

Mafke

Medalist
Bye quads!!! I never liked you!!!!! Don't come back, ever!!!!!!

Hello well rounded skating! Sit down, have a beer, glad you could make it!

screech

Final Flight
They're not dead... they're still basically required for those who can't do anything but jump! It's one of many ways to get points. When Dai gets a consistent quad (which I fully believe he'll keep working towards) then everyone else damn well better look out cause dude will be untouchable.

Frenchdude

Rinkside
What a disappointment.

Quads are one of the main reasons I bother watching men's figure skating. I really really hope this isn't the beginning of a new trend: quadless olympic champions. Blech.

Alatariel

On the Ice
You know it is - one powerful country or two have a bunch of mediocre jumpers and all of a sudden we get a new future of skating. The moment the US gets an actual quad jumper, we will once again see a shift towards that aspect of skating. It's just how the world works.

It's not good bye to quads, it's a temporary good bye to quads until the US actually produces someone who can do them.

janetfan

Match Penalty
You know it is - one powerful country or two have a bunch of mediocre jumpers and all of a sudden we get a new future of skating. The moment the US gets an actual quad jumper, we will once again see a shift towards that aspect of skating. It's just how the world works.

It's not good bye to quads, it's a temporary good bye to quads until the US actually produces someone who can do them.

Maybe you forget Tim Goebel and how CoP was originally designed to make sure that even if he put down not one - but THREE - quads in a program it wouldn't be enough to win unless he showed all around artistry.
Maybe you forget Elvis, the best jumper of his era not winning because his other elements were not considered strong enough.

You make it sound like Plushy is the first skater ever to lose with a quad.

Maybe Timothy Goebel -- the quad king! --- three quads per program!! :rock: -- will return, and put skating back on the right track.:yes:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
It's not just about the quads. It's about all-around performance. And when it came to all-around performance, Evan deserved the gold.

yangjie

On the Ice
It's not just about the quads. It's about all-around performance. And when it came to all-around performance, Evan deserved the gold.

but every top skaters could do a all-around performance,but top skaters except evan and patric tried the quads because they thought the quads deserved the gold.

i really want to say that evan is not only the skater who can do all-around performance.

yuntory

Spectator
I really think that these quad jumps are disturbing quiet much the whole flows of the skating.
If it's nicely done, than ok, but to be honest, the success rate of quad is so low....
there were only 3 skaters who landed quad clearly in this olympic competition.
I don't mean that it is useless, but it shouldn't be obligatory like somebody said......
And I also agree with that evan deserves the gold medal :)

Alatariel

On the Ice

Bull, plain and simple. I am sick of hearing nonsense repeated over and over again. He is not a good all-around performer. His jumps are low and tight, his 3A is absolutely terrible - if he were from any other country we would not be seeing that + on that monstrosity, on the contrary. His artistry is non existent really, there is no real interpretation of music, you can see that he is working what he was told to do. His spins are same old, same old we've seen a million times and not the best. His footwork too, arms all over the place. He is not a complete skater, never was, never will be. When the hype dies down a few years from now, there will be only two outcomes - those who have no idea who he was, and those who use him to show what mediocre but consistent skating can get you, if you also have a backing of a powerful country.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Last night lacked a lto of things, one of them being quads.How many quads were attempted? How many were ok? How many quad + combo were there?
Now look back at 2002 - we've gone backwards. and it's not as if artistry is better either.

Tesla

Final Flight

Yes, that's why Timothy Goebel, who landed 3 quads in his program, is a World and Olympic champion! Oh wait, he isn't.

Bull, plain and simple. I am sick of hearing nonsense repeated over and over again. He is not a good all-around performer. His jumps are low and tight, his 3A is absolutely terrible - if he were from any other country we would not be seeing that + on that monstrosity, on the contrary. His artistry is non existent really, there is no real interpretation of music, you can see that he is working what he was told to do. His spins are same old, same old we've seen a million times and not the best. His footwork too, arms all over the place. He is not a complete skater, never was, never will be. When the hype dies down a few years from now, there will be only two outcomes - those who have no idea who he was, and those who use him to show what mediocre but consistent skating can get you, if you also have a backing of a powerful country.

Plushenko isn't a complete skater either by this criteria. Some of his landings were wonky and his footwork wasn't at a high enough level. His performance did not go with a music. That was a tango? I didn't know that until I read it online. Evan worked a system and performed beautifully. I will remember him and not as a mediocre skater.

You know, Plushenko thinks the quad is almighty. Ok, fine. Where were his second and third quads? You want the envelope pushed, push it.

Last edited:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Nuts to this: I want my cake and eat it, too! Now which one of these upcoming men is going to prove you can do a quad and still be able to do spins, FW, and be smooth! I'm issuing a challenge for 2014: quad+ a program to win gold.

BTW: the quad already died in Canada. We did not send the kid to the Olympics who did a quad-triple combo, a triple axel-triple toe and triple axel at Canadians. We sent Vaughan Chipeur, based on PCS, and he placed 23rd out of 24...and the judges did not like his program components.:disapp:

Tesla

Final Flight
If Jeremy Abbott can hold his nerves, he can do it at Worlds. He has the spins, footwork, and quad, but he has to put it all together on the big stage.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
If Jeremy Abbott can hold his nerves, he can do it at Worlds. He has the spins, footwork, and quad, but he has to put it all together on the big stage.

Have to admit that Jeremy is my fvaourite skater, even though he buckled under the pressure here. I was blown away by his performance at Nationals.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Quads are just frustrating, it seems like you can't have it both ways. Whenever Verner lands a great quad the rest of his program goes south fast and Joubert lets his quad psych him out to the point of if he misses it, it will cause him to give up on the rest of his performance :banging:. Not a big fan of Stephane and Plushy quads....they look awkward to me. Brezina was doing beautiful quads in practice the other day but again, I think the quad is the achilles heel of the male figure skater.