Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Funeral for quads

Whippet Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alatariel View Post
    You know it is - one powerful country or two have a bunch of mediocre jumpers and all of a sudden we get a new future of skating. The moment the US gets an actual quad jumper, we will once again see a shift towards that aspect of skating. It's just how the world works.

It's not good bye to quads, it's a temporary good bye to quads until the US actually produces someone who can do them.
    Yes, that's why Timothy Goebel, who landed 3 quads in his program, is a World and Olympic champion! Oh wait, he isn't.

Bull, plain and simple. I am sick of hearing nonsense repeated over and over again. He is not a good all-around performer. His jumps are low and tight, his 3A is absolutely terrible - if he were from any other country we would not be seeing that + on that monstrosity, on the contrary. His artistry is non existent really, there is no real interpretation of music, you can see that he is working what he was told to do. His spins are same old, same old we've seen a million times and not the best. His footwork too, arms all over the place. He is not a complete skater, never was, never will be. When the hype dies down a few years from now, there will be only two outcomes - those who have no idea who he was, and those who use him to show what mediocre but consistent skating can get you, if you also have a backing of a powerful country.
    Plushenko isn't a complete skater either by this criteria. Some of his landings were wonky and his footwork wasn't at a high enough level. His performance did not go with a music. That was a tango? I didn't know that until I read it online. Evan worked a system and performed beautifully. I will remember him and not as a mediocre skater.

You know, Plushenko thinks the quad is almighty. Ok, fine. Where were his second and third quads? You want the envelope pushed, push it.
    Last edited by Tesla; 02-19-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Nuts to this: I want my cake and eat it, too! Now which one of these upcoming men is going to prove you can do a quad and still be able to do spins, FW, and be smooth! I'm issuing a challenge for 2014: quad+ a program to win gold.

BTW: the quad already died in Canada. We did not send the kid to the Olympics who did a quad-triple combo, a triple axel-triple toe and triple axel at Canadians. We sent Vaughan Chipeur, based on PCS, and he placed 23rd out of 24...and the judges did not like his program components.

Whippet Good!
    If Jeremy Abbott can hold his nerves, he can do it at Worlds. He has the spins, footwork, and quad, but he has to put it all together on the big stage.

If Jeremy Abbott can hold his nerves, he can do it at Worlds. He has the spins, footwork, and quad, but he has to put it all together on the big stage.
    Have to admit that Jeremy is my fvaourite skater, even though he buckled under the pressure here. I was blown away by his performance at Nationals.

Custom Title
    Quads are just frustrating, it seems like you can't have it both ways. Whenever Verner lands a great quad the rest of his program goes south fast and Joubert lets his quad psych him out to the point of if he misses it, it will cause him to give up on the rest of his performance :banging:. Not a big fan of Stephane and Plushy quads....they look awkward to me. Brezina was doing beautiful quads in practice the other day but again, I think the quad is the achilles heel of the male figure skater.

Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    Ditto. The lightbulb just hasn't clicked on for some yet
    Yes, we are all dumb idiots so what can you expect?

Custom Title
    funeral of the quads...probably, seeing as no one landed a "textbook" quad

but last night was pretty darn close to the funeral of the triple axel too. It's the men's event and there were more bad 3A's than there were good ones...

looking forward to Worlds in a few weeks. Would like to see Johnny put together 2 good programs again so he can hopefully get on the podium and end it all with a medal. I would also like to see Jeremy do 2 clean programs b/c then people might finally get the message that 2 solid programs with the technical difficulty and other skating elements will be "unbeatable"

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Plushenko isn't a complete skater either by this criteria. Some of his landings were wonky and his footwork wasn't at a high enough level. His performance did not go with a music. That was a tango? I didn't know that until I read it online. Evan worked a system and performed beautifully. I will remember him and not as a mediocre skater.

You know, Plushenko thinks the quad is almighty. Ok, fine. Where were his second and third quads? You want the envelope pushed, push it.
    Is anyone actually calling Plushenko a complete skater? I wrote that somewhere ... meh, must be old age, I can't seem to recall calling Plushenko an all round skater. On the other hand, we have dozens and dozens of anguished cries of - but Lysacek is a complete skater! Funny how you actually can't refute any of the things people have posted about his skating so the automatic answer is - but Plushenko ... blah blah blah. Glad that you will remember Evan, what can I say, some people and mediocrity just go hand in hand.
    Last edited by Alatariel; 02-19-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeauty View Post
    funeral of the quads...probably, seeing as no one landed a "textbook" quad

but last night was pretty darn close to the funeral of the triple axel too. It's the men's event and there were more bad 3A's than there were good ones...

looking forward to Worlds in a few weeks. Would like to see Johnny put together 2 good programs again so he can hopefully get on the podium and end it all with a medal. I would also like to see Jeremy do 2 clean programs b/c then people might finally get the message that 2 solid programs with the technical difficulty and other skating elements will be "unbeatable"
    Actually, Tomas landed a very nice quad. I'm not sure if it was textbook, but it was solid. It was his first jump and a good jump before he bombed the rest of his program.

Custom Title
    It's a sad day when we say goodbye to the quad. You were challenging and will be missed by the true athletes out there. Now I'll have to find a way to not vomit while watching people perform those ludicrous 3-2-2 combos. What a joke that is.

Custom Title
    Good bye quad!!!!! Finally they can join men and ladies' figure skating into one and call it figure skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    They're not dead... they're still basically required for those who can't do anything but jump! It's one of many ways to get points. When Dai gets a consistent quad (which I fully believe he'll keep working towards) then everyone else damn well better look out cause dude will be untouchable.
    I totally agree. I believe it says that if you want to do the quad and be mediocre in everything else, fine. You'll win and you'll lose. But if you find the quad, jumps along side footwork, transitions, musicality and persona, watch out.

Whippet Good!
    Is anyone actually calling Plushenko a complete skater? I wrote that somewhere ... meh, must be old age, I can't seem to recall calling Plushenko an all round skater. On the other hand, we have dozens and dozens of anguished cries of - but Lysacek is a complete skater! Funny how you actually can't refute any of the things people have posted about his skating so the automatic answer is - but Plushenko ... blah blah blah. Glad that you will remember Evan, what can I say, some people and mediocrity just go hand in hand.
    Ok, so what's wrong with Evan winning if he and Plushenko are pretty even? And I happen to think Evan is a complete skater. I was just pointing out by your criteria, that Plushenko isn't a complete skater either. I think Evan is fantastic with the footwork and has good spins and good jumps. I think he is one of the best at footwork and thought is program worked very well with the music. I think Evan is more complete skater than Plushenko.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Ok, so what's wrong with Evan winning if he and Plushenko are pretty even? And I happen to think Evan is a complete skater. I was just pointing out by your criteria, that Plushenko isn't a complete skater either. I think Evan is fantastic with the footwork and has good spins and good jumps. I think he is one of the best at footwork and thought is program worked very well with the music. I think Evan is more complete skater than Plushenko.
    A very long time ago - read this morning Euro time - I wrote the following - Plushenko lost on his own accord (I am not saying scores were correct, I am saying he should have known this was going to happen; it was obvious to absolutely everyone). He knew what was required and he didn't do it. I've been saying since the SPs, if he wants to win under these conditions he needs to be super clear and have two quads in the LP. He didn't have them because, and this is just my personal opinion, he can't do them any more. Why, the lack of training, old age, I don't know but I think he would have put it there just to thumb everyone's noses at it if he could.

I already told you what I think of Lysacek.

Who should have won? Well we would have to go and see the SP scores first, then how would that changed thing affect the LPs etc, etc, etc. It's all hypothetical now and I have no idea how that would have unfolded.

Just because of the fact that Plushenko was stupid, this entire season and not just last night, and based on what we saw, I would have loved to see Dai as OGM. I doubt we ever will, which is a shame but well...

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    If Plushenko won, I'd be having a funeral for level 4 footwork. Well, ok, I'm not that much of a drama queen.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast