Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Funeral for quads

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Quads are not dead, they just aren't the heavier side of the scale anymore. There's more a required equality between athleticism & artistry. Which is the way it was always meant to be, but hadn't been for a while.

Not saying CoP is perfect. It's got a lot of glitches to work out.
    Last edited by CzarinaAnya; 02-19-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Rinkside
    Just curious, did you hold a service for the ladies triple axel after Harding and Ito left competative skating? Things seemed to be headed in that direction back then, but until recently no one really had one for years. Michelle and Irina were tops for years without it. Different skaters have different strengths in different eras. The only thing that should be dead is thinking there is only one formula that will win. This is a sport for individuals. If you have a quad -good for you but that alone doesn't make you a cinch for gold. Sit down, study the CoP against you own strengths and weaknesses and find what works. Everyone else did. Plushy just thought he was invincible and didn't need to work the system.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    Newsflash: Plushenko was never that good a skater even in his prime, and age has caught up with him. Most of us moved on, Plushenko hasn't.

You must be living in another planet...

Yes. Goodbye quads, maybe I'll see you guys again at Worlds in a month.

This thread is so dramatic.

Sincerely,
    Apparent Evil American who, along with the entire population of North America, designed the CoP system

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alatariel View Post
    Yes, we are all dumb idiots so what can you expect?
    For once, I agree.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    If Jeremy Abbott can hold his nerves, he can do it at Worlds. He has the spins, footwork, and quad, but he has to put it all together on the big stage.
    Now we have had two times quadless World champions and a quadless, artistically below averaged Olympic champion. Why unearth Jeremy has to take the risk to do that quad?! He can just forget about it and do a perfect 8 triple skating, he'll be a World champion next.

What I want is a quad or two blended in a perfect artistry, complicated transition, and high level footwork. What I want is a perfection. Jeremy Abbott could give that satisfactory to me. But with the way CoP judging, I could see less and less skaters taking that risk. Why should they?! CoP has really killed figure skating. Part of me is dead. The rest of me is still struggling to hold on.

Good-bye, quad! Good-bye, my beloved men's skating! Welcome to boy's or ladies' world. If I want to watch ice dance or beauty pageant, there are different disciplines and places to go.

Thank you so much ISU! I really appreciate that you have me waked up and go to find some other interests that I can pursue.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 02-19-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sarukou View Post
    You mean that difficult double axel? That insane triple-double-double combo? Give me a break.
    OK, a 2A is not easy nor is a triple double. I am just saying the Lysacek did a triple-double-double which is worth more points.

It is really just simple arithmetic. If you add up the base values of each skaters jumps, Lysacek's are worth 5 more points then Plushenko's 58.23 vs 53.33. You can't blame the judges because they gave Lysacek two neg GOEs and Plushenko only one. The starting values of PLushenko's jumps in total are lower.

They gave both skaters the exact same PCS score of 82.80. I think Lysacek's should have been higher than Plushenko's.
    Last edited by gfskater; 02-19-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Tripping on the Podium

I totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Yes. Goodbye quads, maybe I'll see you guys again at Worlds in a month.

This thread is so dramatic.

Sincerely,
    Apparent Evil American who, along with the entire population of North America, designed the CoP system
    The COP was a result of the Russian collusion with the French judges, so take that Plushenko and your coaches!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CzarinaAnya View Post
    Quads are not dead, they just aren't the heavier side of the scale anymore. There's more a required equality between athleticism & artistry. Which is the way it was always meant to be, but hadn't been for a while.

Not saying CoP is perfect. It's got a lot of glitches to work out.
    Artistry is not why Evan won. Both skaters had the exact same PCS 82.80 !

The base value of Evan's jumps were higher. There were 8 jumping passes, let me repeat EIGHT JUMPING PASSES Three of them were combos. Add up the base values and you will see that Evan's total was worth 5 more points without any judging changes.

Rinkside
    What I want is a quad or two blended in a perfect artistry, complicated transition, and high level footwork.
    You already had it. It was called Alexi Yagudin and we haven't seen the likes of him since.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shadymc View Post
    You already had it. It was called Alexi Yagudin and we haven't seen the likes of him since.
    Um, Takahiko and Brezina, give them a year or two and they will deliver just that. Brezina was landing gorgeous quads in practice the other day. Plus Joubert kind of fit that description before his meltdown here.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gfskater View Post
    If there is a controversy, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by gfskater View Post

The base value of Evan's jumps were higher. There were 8 jumping passes, let me repeat EIGHT JUMPING PASSES Three of them were combos. Add up the base values and you will see that Evan's total was worth 5 more points without any judging changes.
    I didn't mention Evan.

amen!

Wasn't he planning to though? I think he had an injury or something that prevented him from coming back, right?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast