Yahoo sports!: The night they killed figure skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Yahoo sports!: The night they killed figure skating

Soldier of Love

Rinkside
Sour Grapes and Bitterness

Disrespecting Boitano now? Okay, I've now lost what little respect I had for Elvis. No, you didn't win the Olympic Gold medal in '94 against (a very artistic, yet technically flawed) Urmanov. LOL
What I enjoy sooooo much about this, is that no amount of moaning from Elvis, Plushenko or his fans will ever change the fact that Evan Lysacek is the 2010 Olympic GOLD Medalist. It must be soooo frustrating. LOL

*hand in shape of "L" on forehead* LOL

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I agree with Stojiko. Why bother going for a quad when you can win gold without it? Nobody is going to practice on it anymore. Evan never amazes me with his skating skills and artistry. His jump technique reminds me of Reacheal Flatt, a bit awekward. I really liked Takahiko Kozuka too! He is my favorite skater along with Jeremy Abbott. Chan just needs to go away asap. You know Chan won't even try a quad because he think he can win without it. He might even stop doing a triple axel too. He think he is that good. In my opinion, I'd much prefer Kozuka's skating than Chan's.

Kozuka is a gorgeous skater, but I think Chan benefits from reputation scoring since winning silver at Worlds. I also think Kozuka suffers from the third skater syndrome whereas Patrick is by far the best male Canadian skater.

jovani2293

On the Ice
Thank you! Precisely my point. All we hear is Lysacek the all round skater being repeated over and over again when he is anything but! Tight jumps, low jumps, an absolutely appalling 3A that would have been scored down a million times by now if he wasn't the US lead guy, no artistry whatsoever as he never follows the music, obviously skating by the numbers, same spins seen a million times before, average footwork and absolutely no balls!

All round skater my ...
I'm happy that I'm not the only one who agrees with this

sarukou

Rinkside
The QUAD has killed figure skating, there is way to much emphasis put on this 1 element

Mhm, dead is figure skating because of the quad...

There is SO much emphasis put on this element that the Olympic champion of 2010 didn't need to try it. You should be overjoyed.

yangjie

On the Ice
Disrespecting Boitano now? Okay, I've now lost what little respect I had for Elvis. No, you didn't win the Olympic Gold medal in '94 against (a very artistic, yet technically flawed) Urmanov. LOL
What I enjoy sooooo much about this, is that no amount of moaning from Elvis, Plushenko or his fans will ever change the fact that Evan Lysacek is the 2010 Olympic GOLD Medalist. It must be soooo frustrating. LOL

*hand in shape of "L" on forehead* LOL

what?

not only quads were killed by the americans and canadians, but great quads skaters are being killed by americans and canadians.

what a shame,

kyla2

Final Flight
No one is "killing great quad skaters." What an absurd comment. Quads are great but they aren't the total package and never will be. You cannot disregard the rest of the performance or lack thereof. Lysacek's jumps were better, his transitions and footwork were better and his spins were better. He is not Johnny or Patrick in the artistry department but he is certainly better than Plushenko.

Plushenko was sloppy even though he landed everything. He tends to skate from "the waist up." The pelvic gyrations were hilarious and wouldn't pass for artistry in a strip club. I have seen him skate MUCH better than this. I am sure he knows that too. It is possible Mishkin told him to do the quad combo cleanly and it was a done deal. That was a misconception on his part and I am not sure where he got it. I despise COP but even I knew that a quad wouldn't win the gold if the rest of the program was not so great. COP has points for absolutely everything. How could they think a quad would be the end all, be all???? Geesh.

I like Plushenko and always have. But I am disappointed that he has been so ungracious. I believe he is being egged on by people around him and they are doing him a great disservice.

Last edited:

moscow

Rinkside
I'm agreeing with everybody whose calling bs on the "all around skater". I can't stand it. I rewatched Alexei yagudin's olympic performance in 02. THAT was olympic gold medal material. (regardless of the quads). This is not about the quad, whether or not you think the gold medal winner needs one. This is about the inbetween and Evan and Plushy have NEVER had the inbetween IMO. The thought that the winner made skating look so ugly to me makes me lose hope in my sport. This is not a slight on Evan, he should be very proud of all he's accomplished in his career. I just will never get it. That was not an olympic gold medal performance to me. And for as deep of a field that we had this year, I'm dissapointed.

kyla2

Final Flight
Moscow, Alexei Yagudin was the definitive all around skater so you're argument is moot. The winner did not make skating look ugly. That is just rubbish. Evan was the best of the night and that's what it takes to win the gold medal.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The winner did not make skating look ugly. That is just rubbish.

Nope, moscow's assessment of Lysacek is spot-on accurate IMO.:agree: This will not be a memorable mens' Olympic Games figure skating event for me. It's like the 2002 Olympic ladies' . . . a nightmare covered in molasses.

moscow

Rinkside
Sorry Kyla, Alexei and Evan just don't compare. We aren't arguing who the best of the night was, we are arguing that this is about Skating turning into a jumping contest instead of a whole package ordeal. Evan is not the whole package. he can jump. he's consistent. He has a great work ethic. But he is NOT an all around skater. there is no connection with music, there is no attention towards movements and choreography. Yet since he's apparantly the golden boy now, people are showering him with accolades that are not accurate. He will never have the all around package. Sorry.

qazwsx

Rinkside
Originally Posted by Kinga View Post
Well, at least Lysacek used the music. Plushenko didnt even bother to do at least that.

Point taken, but for me the end result is the same - neither man is particularly musical and for me seeing Lysacek go through the motions is no more pleasing than Plushenko's obliviousness. Lysacek tries harder and worked the system better, for which he deserves all due credit. I actually found both of them hard to watch last night, Plushenko because he was off form and Lysacek seemed tense (understandably) and even stiffer than usual.

ITA. I can listen to music better than a deaf person, that makes me an "all-aound musical interpreter" ?

mvick

Rinkside
Plushenko could of won the gold. All he needed to do was add a double on one of his combination jump to make it a 3-jump combo to get a couple more points. He could of also gotten extra points by completing a level 4 flying sit instead of level 3. If he just focus on what he needed to do and not thinking about what everyone else is doing, he could of won the men's event IMO.

If skaters are going to have difficult jumps in their program (such as quads, triple-triple combos etc), they have to make sure that they fully rotated the jump. As we know now, if the skater does not complete the rotation by the landing, the jump will be downgraded and include a big -GOE (-2 or -3 depending on the judges thoughts). If you fall and under rotate the element, the skater will get -3 GOE and the jumps is pretty much worth under 1.00 in points. IMO, your program components can be reflected if you fully rotate your jumps or not. I seen skaters program components lower than their usual if they have underrotated jumps in their program.

The COP is not forgiving on unrotated jumps as it was in the 6.0 system. Thats probably why we don't see as many of the difficult jumps at the moment. The skaters has to be confident with the difficult jump or combo before putting it out in competition. You can't really test it out in competitions anymore and certantitly, the judges don't give the skater credit for attempting the difficult jumps now of days with the COP.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Although Evan deserved gold, I wish a skater with both technical ability and appropriate artistry had won. I'm thinking Alexei or Plushenko when they won gold. Evan was technically good, artistically good but nothing in his program screamed brilliant.

More people would be satisfied with the result.

I never saw Evgeni or Elvis with any artistry, but then I rearely see artistry in figure skating. I think their beef is about masculinity.

I would suggest a colossal run off for the two of them in a Battle of the FS Jumps similar to Diving Competitions and, of coures, without music. Why not?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Patrick deserved to be 5th, he could have switched places with Weir or Khozuka I suppose, but his Phantom program is gorgeous.

I thought Chan deserved to finish behind both Kozuka and Weir to be honest. Takahiko should have finished top 5 I think.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'd be cool with that too, but I thought Lambiel was more overscored than he was. In the end it didn't really matter, but if Patrick had managed to medal then that would have been an issue.

Alatariel

On the Ice
As much as I like Lambiel he was overscored. More than Chan ... well let's say en par with him.