Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo sports!: The night they killed figure skating

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sarukou View Post
    And maybe Lysacek should have been a tad less average and taken some risk. Perhaps, just perhaps, an Olympic MENS champion should have more technical difficulty than a Lady. What an absurd thought, no?
    What sexist statement that IS totally absurd. During her peak, Ito was the technical equal of any man in the world, so was Denise Beillman. They were both doing their hardest jump (axel and lutz respectively) whan many man still couldn't complete them in practice or competition.

Considering the fact that Mao can't due a good lutz or toe loop (unless in combination) and is limited to doing only four different triple jumps, I'd say she has not technically equal to the men. So who else are you referring to? Even if she did include those jumps, that would be a credit to her, not a slight against any man.
    Last edited by jcoates; 02-19-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Custom Title
    The QUAD has killed figure skating, there is way to much emphasis put on this 1 element

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
    lysacek USED the music, played the program, used his body to go through that sequence thus earning more points technically AND for interpretation.

Is that supposed to be a joke. Since when is Evan Lysacek considered a musical, interpretative performer. Evan Lysacek brings zero artistic value to his routines. Zero. Enough of the bruahaha.

Silly Americans.
    Last edited by piano18; 02-19-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    Is that supposed to be a joke. Since when is Evan Lysacek considered a musical, interpretative performer. Evan Lysacek brings zero artistic value to his routines. Zero. Enough of the bruahaha.

Silly Americans.
    Compared to Plushenko he's pretty damn artistic...

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Compared to Plushenko he's pretty damn artistic...
    Maybe that's like comparing a rock with rock with moss on top.

Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post

Silly Americans.
    Congrats Canada on your 5th and 24th place finishes.

Custom Title
    And maybe Lysacek should have been a tad less average and taken some risk. Perhaps, just perhaps, an Olympic MENS champion should have more technical difficulty than a Lady. What an absurd thought, no?
    So you think he should have attempted the quad and risked re-breaking his foot? I would say it was a smart decision. Your comment is also sexist. I'm not a huge Evan fan but he skated his heart out and was simply better than Plushenko...whose idea of choreography is swiveling his hips like a male stripper.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    http://www.stickersisters.com/shop/images/39.jpg

A lot of new members on the board. I have been using my ignore feature for the first time.

Jcoates great post.

Maybe we should go back 20 years ago when figure skating was 60 per cent "figures" and very little artistry let alone jumps. Maybe figure skating is exactly where it should be now, a balance of jumps, footwork, spins, and figures. You have to have a little bit of "everything" to win...........42

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    LMAO! This is the perfect description.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    The real travesty would've been an Olympic champion who won without level 4 footwork, like Plushenko. If you like jumping so much, go to track and field. This is skating.
    It's a joke that Lysacek's footwork was called as Level 4. Plushenko's footwork sequences were shockingly lacking by his standard, and Evan's were better, but Evan hardly displayed excellent skating skills. He does twizzles well...that's about it.

Edgy Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Fielding View Post
    I'm afraid "used the music" is the perfect descriptive phrase for what Lysacek did. (Too bad he didn't listen to it.) He worked the system. One admires his determination and will to improve but that's about all there is to be said. Depressing.
    Well, at least Lysacek used the music. Plushenko didnt even bother to do at least that.

Custom Title
    Yeah you have a point. Prettiness Compensation Score anyone? Lysacek is tall, dark, and handsome after all

While not a surprise, Patrick Chan's take on the Plushenko-Evan gold medal debate:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10456956-56.html

Quote:

"He definitely deserved to have won with two great skates," Chan said, speaking that British Columbia International Media Centre here. "If I had done two greats skates just like he did, I think I would be side by side with him."

Chan said that "anyone can do the quad," insisting the jump gets too much attention and distracts from the true artistry of the sport.

OMG. LOL. Now I'm going to remember that so whenever a situable situation arises, I will use it and it will be EPIC! Ahahahaha.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast