Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo sports!: The night they killed figure skating

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Yes, and the 5th place was too generous!
    Actually Vaughn came in 23rd, not 24th, and I thought Patrick deserved to be 5th, he could have switched places with Weir or Khozuka I suppose, but his Phantom program is gorgeous.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I thought Patrick deserved to be 5th, he could have switched places with Weir or Khozuka I suppose, but his Phantom program is gorgeous.
    I thought Chan deserved to finish behind both Kozuka and Weir to be honest. Takahiko should have finished top 5 I think.

Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I thought Chan deserved to finish behind both Kozuka and Weir to be honest. Takahiko should have finished top 5 I think.
    ^^ that.

Custom Title
    I'd be cool with that too, but I thought Lambiel was more overscored than he was. In the end it didn't really matter, but if Patrick had managed to medal then that would have been an issue.

Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    As much as I like Lambiel he was overscored. More than Chan ... well let's say en par with him.

Custom Title
    another take: http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/art...figure-skating

not only stojko feels this way apparently....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I never saw Evgeni or Elvis with any artistry, but then I rearely see artistry in figure skating. I think their beef is about masculinity.

I would suggest a colossal run off for the two of them in a Battle of the FS Jumps similar to Diving Competitions and, of coures, without music. Why not?
    I think the "pro-manly skating" people want it to be like the floor exercise in men's gymnastics....where it's just a series of jump elements with no choreography. As for Elivis, I always thought he was a great athlete but his skating never inspired or moved me. It was like Tai Kwan Do on ice to me.

I think they are forgetting one factor. A beautifully skated program allows the skater to bring the audience in...that is how it becomes an interactive sport. Without that I think people would fall asleep during the performance.
    Last edited by Justafan; 02-20-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster

Thumbs down

The bad thing is not the missing quad. Lysacek has nothing, absolutely nothing!!! else to offer! There's not even one natural move in his skating, everything is completely "worked out" and his programs exactly look like this. An amateur and totally forgettable """Olympic Champion""" - the result (the "first" two) is an absolute disaster and disgrace for Men's figure skating!

Medalist
    Plushenko already knew what points he would get from the quad. If he looked upset at the podium, thinking of this quad buz, I don't buy it. If his jumps had been not tilted, he would have been the winner. Or, if his spins and step sequences had been better, he would also been the winner.

Custom Title
    My wish is that all the hoopla will continue in order to bring about a change in COP. Similar to what happened at the 2002 Olympics, because of the uproar about Sarah Hughes win, COP went bananas in regards to underrotations & technique.

I hope to see the same change when it comes to difficulty of jumps -- 3/3s should not be scored on the same level as a quad for men or a triple axel for a lady -- in fact each & every jump & combo. & sequence should be put under a microscope and assigned an *appropriate value*. Huge difficulty should receive huge reward, as long as the jump is fully rotated & landed. Falls don't count.

The system is still relatively new & needs tweaking after each Olympics.

Anybody that knows me knows that I love the jumps, always have & always will, and I believe I can safely say so does the audience. I will never forget the audience holding their collective breath when Evgeni went into his 4/3 jumping pass (& it was only him, no one else that fateful night). Their reaction kinda justified something in my mind, made me feel good to see that superior athleticism is acknowledged & appreciated on a visceral level, something you cannot hide, plain to see. YES, I just love this sport!

Don't get me wrong, I actually think Evgeni was very lucky that fateful night to finish second, and I think he knows deep down inside he was as well. *smile* I swear it was magic how he appeared so off in the air on several of his jumps (ready to fall), but God put his hand upon him & set him down like a cat. If He didn't, Evgeni would have been off the podium. But instead he became that rare thing ~ one & only 3time Olympian behind Gillis Grafstrom ~ he joined the immortals, along with Sonja Henie on the night of February 18th, 2010.

Custom Title
    The sad thing is, the men who have artistry and quads can't control their nerves long enough to actually win anything. I don't know a lot about Verner, but supposedly he has the whole package. So does Jeremy Abbott and Ryan Bradley. Ryan did two quads and danced a comedy routine, to boot, at the US Nationals. But he fell in the short, and Johnny got his spot.

If quads were counted more, Evan might not have even been at the Olympics, because either her or Johnny would have lost his spot.

All Evgeny had to do was skate to a piece of music that was familiar to most people and wear a matching costume. Even if he flailed away, his performance would be a crowd-pleaser and he would have gotten the two program components score he needed. He could have skated to Carmen dressed like a bullfighter--it wouldn't even have to be original. Plushy thought he would be given his gold on a golden platter, and put little work into it other than landing that quad. He is a better skater than Evan, but his program was lazy and he blew it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    The sad thing is, the men who have artistry and quads can't control their nerves long enough to actually win anything. I don't know a lot about Verner, but supposedly he has the whole package. So does Jeremy Abbott and Ryan Bradley. Ryan did two quads and danced a comedy routine, to boot, at the US Nationals. But he fell in the short, and Johnny got his spot.
    Yeah, Verner, Abbott, Bradley do really all have the complete package: they can jump, they are elegant, and they are crowd pleasers - all of them are pretty inconsistent though.

Out of fairness to Verner, he did get a bad case of the flu (I heard it might of been H1N1) this November which caused him to miss a week or two of training and lose lots of strength, explaining his bad results at SA and the GPF. Then I think after being sick and not doing well it affected his confidence and that's why he messed up again at Europeans and the Olympics, he still could be weak too (looked sad and super pale in KnC in Vancouver). Not like Verner was really consistent before this season, but this season has been particularly rough for him, he just needs to get through worlds (hopefully do better but just get through) and just start fresh next season with new programs and regain his health, confidence, and consistency.

Patrick was sick in the fall with the flu too which caused injury and even he still seems to be a bit off now. It's tough getting sick in the middle of the season I bet.

I really hope Ryan gets to go to Worlds because I know he was planning on retiring after this season I'll miss him soo much.

As for Jeremy, he is probably one of the best if not the best male skater out there now , just for some reason the pressure makes him struggle. I feel so bad for him, he tries so hard.

I have renamed the OP's article, "the night Elvis Stojko's credibility died, " 'nuff said.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama View Post
    I have renamed the OP's article, "the night Elvis Stojko's credibility died, " 'nuff said.
    Stojko is multiple Olympic medalist and decorated athlete, who are you to challenge his credibility?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama View Post
    Stojko is one of the few household figure skaters in Canada. Nobody outside the obssessive figure skating forums know who Jeffrey Buttle is. Athletism does matter. Sports should encourage excellence, not mediocrity, which I guess some 'skating moms' have an issue with since their kids just can not jump.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast