Plushenko lashes out!!! | Golden Skate

Plushenko lashes out!!!

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
At least he's honest on the problem with the CoP - although he did have shaky jumps, so it's tough to give an objective opinion here.
I think he and Brian Joubert should join forces and fight the system!!!!!:laugh:

Face2Mac

On the Ice
What did he exactly say? I am at work and can't see the video.
And I knew he was going to be pissed.

Alatariel

On the Ice
Good for him. It's either keep quiet and keep on eating this bs or actually say something about it. Who ever does keep quiet should actually be made to eat more and more of it just for the fun of it.

Enero

On the Ice
It wouldn't be figure skating if someone didn't "lash out" after a competition. :laugh: Though Plushy did anything but that in this interview. He was as cool as ice answering the questions he was asked. I didn't see any anger whatsoever. I know some might not agree with his answers, but he said what he thought and honestly what many think about last night's competition and the future of men's figure skating.

Mafke

Medalist
Okay, he's officially pissing me off. I didn't realize he'd 'mistakenly' stood on the gold step(!!!!) can you say passive-agressive?

And .... He's talking pretty tough for a guy who could only manage one quad and no triple flip in his lp and how many triples after the two minute mark????

What you're saying Evgenij is that if figure skating is all about doing more and more difficult jumps you shouldn't have had any shot at being on the podium. Noted.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
He says he "forgot" that he did not win Gold and then started to step on the Top step of the podium. He must have a short memory....

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't realize he'd 'mistakenly' stood on the gold step(!!!!) can you say passive-agressive?
It wasn't shown on NBC but Scott Hamilton started laughing that Plush stood on the top step but it seemed like it was done for a joke. It was about the time they were introducing Evan and the look on his face when Plush was on the top step was priceless.

bladesoflori

Rinkside
What a sore loser.

Exactly! What ever happened to class and grace? He was not perfect. His program was the very minimum of what was needed to win. And had he done better, he would have won. But when you front load a program, you're not taking advantage of the points system. Or he could have done two quads and left himself some room to err, he would have been fine. Truth is. he left no room for error because he was so arrogant he thought it wasn't a possibility. Maybe he earned that arrogance because most of the time he doesn't make mistakes. Personally I think his choreographer should be fired immediately for such laughable moves as hip-grinding and not using the points system to his advantage. Either way he could have been the gold medalist if HE had done his program cleanly. It's not the system's fault, the judges fault, or anyone other than his own. The system is what it is. Either take advantage of it or YOU are the one trying to move the sport backwards. Thanks anyone for reading, I usually just read, but today I'm hopping mad.

psbfan01

Rinkside
Oh Lord, where do I begin? Now I read Alexei Mishin is complaining about this too. Whiny Russians, get over yourselves.
Since figure skating is the most subjective sport, there will never be a perfect way to score these skaters. The 6.0 system had flaws and positive aspects and so does the COP system.
Frankly, I always believed Evgeni to be overrated - and very arrogant. Because the Russian men in the past 20 years have been considered the superior artist, they have always been the darlings of the international judges. Last night the better skater (under this system) won, not necessarily on "artistry" but on having more complete and well rounded skating skills. Breadth not depth.
The last minute of EP's program was puffery. Preening and flirting and bizarre attempts at seduction (I am zee best, can't you zee?) simply cannot compare to Lysachek's transitions and superior skating skills.
That being said, I believe EP and his coach do have a point. The quad is very difficult and deserves higher points than what it gets now. On the other hand, the other skating elements are difficult in their own unique way, and the people with vast skating experience best understand this.

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
Less then 24 hours after the men's long program......and I am soooooooo over it. You lost a gold but still won a silver which is more then what 90 percent of the people that go to the Olympics do. I bet there are 18 other guys in the men's field that would have been more then happy to win the silver. I am sure that he will have a long career driving around in his ultra expensive Mercedes Benz saying how he was robbed of an Olympic gold medal because Evan didn't do the quad. Time to move onto dance and ladies and start complaining about the scoring there!!!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Less then 24 hours after the men's long program......and I am soooooooo over it. You lost a gold but still won a silver which is more then what 90 percent of the people that go to the Olympics do. I bet there are 18 other guys in the men's field that would have been more then happy to win the silver. I am sure that he will have a long career driving around in his ultra expensive Mercedes Benz saying how he was robbed of an Olympic gold medal because Evan didn't do the quad. Time to move onto dance and ladies and start complaining about the scoring there!!!

Well said, I feel like in the ladies there will be more to complain about than in the men's event. Laura Lepisto, Olympic Champion, with 2 triples in the FS. I can just see it :agree:

She's cool though so I wouldn't mind that :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
well said, i feel like in the ladies there will be more to complain about than in the men's event. laura lepisto, olympic champion, with 2 triples in the fs. I can just see it :agree:

She's cool though so i wouldn't mind that :laugh:

nooooooooooo

That said, it's still better than some other skaters...who I will not name

Trewyn

Medalist
He says he "forgot" that he did not win Gold and then started to step on the Top step of the podium. He must have a short memory....

:rofl: I didn't see the medal ceremony because they didn't air it here; I hope it'll appear on youtube sometime... I'm so curious about this 'controversy' about Plushy apparantly stepping on the top step. I really want to see that. And what a lame excuse haha.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
When I saw the title of this thread, "lashing out," I expected something more dramatic and violent! lol...

What can you say? He was so confident he won gold, but it (deservedly) alluded him. I actually sort of felt bad for Plushenko because his entire comeback was for one thing: Olympic Gold. Now, however, I'm glad such an arrogant and unsportsmanlike competitor lost.

backspin

On the Ice
He's right----preening for the judges while you mince about on your toepicks is SO old school Russian--yes, the sport definitely did regress during that shameful display.

He's conveniently forgetting that Evan didn't beat him in the PCS scores (though he should have!!); he beat him on GOE. Did anyone notice that last jump was landed on an inside edge??? Among other issues, plus the horrible choreography by someone who did not use the system to their advantage. Yikes, how can anyone say he had the superior jumps, quad notwithstanding. If you want to just be judged on the tricks you do, head on over to the half pipe.

Meanwhile, did anyone catch Evan's interview today? Talk about class.

Last edited:

BigJohn

On the Ice
What a douche.

The funny part: I do the difficult moves...

No you dumb donkey, you do one difficult jump. You do not do the difficult moves.

Fielding

Spectator
It wouldn't be figure skating if someone didn't "lash out" after a competition. :laugh: Though Plushy did anything but that in this interview. He was as cool as ice answering the questions he was asked. I didn't see any anger whatsoever. I know some might not agree with his answers, but he said what he thought and honestly what many think about last night's competition and the future of men's figure skating.

I agree - that was hardly "lashing out." He said what he thought. That said, Lysacek's win was fair under the rules now obtaining, although I think it could have gone either way.

I almost feel sorry for Plushy, though. Coming in second is rough on a champ. Coming in second to Evan Lysacek....ouch.