Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    None of our business and irrelevant. Whoever will be his spouse will be one lucky dudette... or dude.
    And it is just as irrelevant and as little of your business as to whether he'll be a good husband and whether his spouse will be lucky. Don't be assuming. He may turn out to be husband of the year or Ike Turner, or somewhere in between. Or maybe he'll be a lifelong bachelor.

Quote Originally Posted by moscow View Post
    He is so young and has such huge potential that I hate to watch him draw attention to himself in the wrong ways. (i.e not on the ice). What would he rather be known for? A great skater, or somebody always bringing up controversy? Again, you saw the lack of respect Johnny got from NBC and the USFSA. Chan could very easily be going down that same road if he's not careful. He's young and has alot to learn. Yes he can speak his mind, but he needs to understand that with that comes alot of criticism and he's only presenting himself in a poor light and if he choses to do so, he needs to watch it and be careful that it's not at the expense of another skater. That's where chan crossed the line. No I'm not offended but it is a red flag.
    Er, again, you should be hating on NBC and the USFS and whoever else and demanding that they change their behavior. Rather than hope skaters keep bending to the will of bad judges and corrupt committees and then maybe they won't get screwed over.
    Last edited by DesertRoad; 02-20-2010 at 02:13 AM.

Custom Title
    It isn't as though this is the first time that Chan has made comments at the expense of another skater. Even before winning World silver last year, Chan has been badmouthing other skaters. He has foot in mouth disease, and he needs to learn to THINK before he speaks, because he comes across as arrogant and crass. Other skaters who have been outspoken have at least kept to the topic----figure skating---and have not branched out into critiquing another skater on personal behavior.

I don't much like Plushenko's complaints about losing to Lysacek, but he has not made personal remarks about Lysacek the person, only referred to skaters without the quad (and BTW, Lysacek has landed the quad many, many times in competition, just not this season).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    And it is just as irrelevant and as little of your business as to whether he'll be a good husband and whether his spouse will be lucky. Don't be assuming. He may turn out to be husband of the year or Ike Turner, or somewhere in between. Or maybe he'll be a lifelong bachelor.
    Patrick as Ike Turner. You have a vivid imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    It isn't as though this is the first time that Chan has made comments at the expense of another skater. Even before winning World silver last year, Chan has been badmouthing other skaters. He has foot in mouth disease, and he needs to learn to THINK before he speaks, because he comes across as arrogant and crass. Other skaters who have been outspoken have at least kept to the topic----figure skating---and have not branched out into critiquing another skater on personal behavior.

I don't much like Plushenko's complaints about losing to Lysacek, but he has not made personal remarks about Lysacek the person, only referred to skaters without the quad (and BTW, Lysacek has landed the quad many, many times in competition, just not this season).
    Can you tell me which ones? I'd like to see them. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by aftertherain; 02-20-2010 at 04:12 AM.

Rinkside
    Desert, while your thoughts are good in their intention. It just doesn't work that way. NBC and USFSA, judges and whoever else seems to have the "problem" here carry more weight than the skaters themselves. Sorry but it's true. They are the ones that determine results, hand out the support and present athletes to the public. Chan doesn't need to leave room for doubt, ESPECIALLY this early on in his career. like the above poster said, atleast the others haven't targeted their remarks to the skater's themselves. Chan is walking (or shall I say skating) through a mine field with his continued remarks.

I want to like Chan, I really do. But he's making a fool out of himself. skate first, talk second. His comments were rude and unnecessary. And as his career is beginning to take off, it would be nice to see him build a solid fan base instead of leaving room for others to perceive him as an arrogant person. For some this was the first they saw of him and people are forming opinions and choosing their favorites over the next few years. And while this may not matter to Chan, it matters to the public. He needs to be careful. That's all I'm trying to say.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Well, that is my point. That skaters are pawns in the game, while the judges and the higher ups are the kingmakers. Don't hate the player, hate the gamekeeper.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
    I wish I didn't post this now, because it wasn't meant to start of a bash. If you actually watched the interview you would see he was very gracious, and honest. I don't think those of you outside of Canada can even understand the amount of pressure on this guy. The media hyped him up as one of the best bets for a medal at the Olympics, but anyone who really watches figure skating would know that was a stretch, wtih the return of Plushenko and Lambiel. I think ti is amazing the attitude he had today, thanking the crowd, and saying it was a great experience.

Actually, you are correct. Patrick did say "the right guy won." I don't get why people here are so mean spirited. It's really strange. All of Canada agrees that Evan L. deserved to win and no one here is griping that Patrick did not end up on the podium. Of course, we want him to do well and be in the top ten in order to send male skaters to the next Olympics and the Worlds. It only makes sense. This was his first Olympics and he did not have the adavantage of experience that the other skaters like Evan L. and Plushenko or Joubert and Stehpen L. had.

Instead of taking it out on Chan, why are people here not dissing Plushenko? After all he did actually step on the top of the Podium before accepting his silver medal and his Coach and the Russian Federation are crying "foul" judging.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
    He didn't say he was too jealous, he said he was a bit jealous. Big difference. I think anyone at this level wants to be on the podium.
    Exactly. Also when a person says they are "jealous" it could be in fun - I think that is what he meant. Have none of you here ever said "Gee, I'm jealous..." it's one of those
    reactions we all have from time to time.

I thought Chan underwent extensive media training on how to talk and portray himself to us folks in front of the telly (or PC). :indiff: He's not doing a good job in making me like him, that's for sure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    . All of Canada agrees that Evan L. deserved to win and no one here is griping that Patrick did not end up on the podium.
    I live in Canada, just saying... Nobody is griping he's on the podium because he didn't deserve.

Ok I don't like Johny Weir at all but Chan has no right to tell another skater how to act in Kiss'n cry. I can't stand Chan more and more.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Ok I don't like Johny Weir at all but Chan has no right to tell another skater how to act in Kiss'n cry. I can't stand Chan more and more.
    me too.

i wonder how canadians think about his remarks.

don't canadians think that he must respect other skaters?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    I was exactly like that when I was 19. Now I'm older and wiser, and learned that when you want to talk smack, you do it on the internet anonymously.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Instead of taking it out on Chan, why are people here not dissing Plushenko? After all he did actually step on the top of the Podium before accepting his silver medal and his Coach and the Russian Federation are crying "foul" judging.
    Yes because dissing Plushenko has come the favourite pastime. I mean, certainly he is the ONLY person who has managed to say something controversial during these games and there is no way Patrick opened his mouth one time too often before he actually got on ice (and got overmarked)... jeez.

I'm getting sick of this.
    Last edited by Smuusik; 02-20-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Have you ever talked to a 19 year old boy before? They don't really have etiquette. So he talks a lot and doesn't really censor what he says, that's better than him being on the news for being some huge alchie or stoner that gets random girls pregnant. Likely he's very high strung because he has no social life and can't let lose and do normal teenage things so he has angst.
    I'm a 19 year old male. I think I'm well-mannered.

Saying that being a big-mouthed lout is not as bad as being caught up in drugs and sex may be well and true, but since when was theft ever put on the same level as murder or rape? Just because some things are worse doesn't mean that other things cannot be considered rude or in bad taste.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast