Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    Good. It's not only Russians that are complaining.
    Not only the russians but fans of figure skating all over the world are complaining for the result

Genealogy Crazed
    Thank you Paula for posting the article links that you have posted.

Two things from this article stood out to me.

#1. Elvis quote: "I don’t know what they’re scoring out there."

To that I say, maybe you should study the COP judging system a little closer.

#2. Article Writer Barnas quote: "With the next Olympics in Russia -- in 2014 in Sochi -- this is a critical period for the nation to get its figure skating future back on track. First things first, though: They need to get serious about the new points system, which awards the complete skater, not just the best jumper."

This writer is so right!

Custom Title
    Where in the sport do you not risk and play it safe and you win? It’s that simple.
    What drives me crazy about all this "risk" talk from Stojko and Pluschenko himself is that they neglect to mention that beyond trying a "risky" quad - Pluschenko opted out of doing an "easier" 3flip in his program and instead, did a 2axel for one of his jumping passes.

While Pluschenko might be able to do quads consistently, he's hardly the superb technician or deserving winner that some are making him out to be when he doesn't even attempt a full arsenal of jumps in his programs.

Good grief. Since when has figure skating been all about a four-revolution jump?

As much as I have always enjoyed Elvis' skating, I am disappointed by his remarks lately. Figure skating should never be all about one jump! Give me balanced skating anyday.

I had also enjoyed Plushy's skating for many years, but I am now totally put off by his arrogance.

What did Pluschenko think all he had to do was show up step out on the ice and get the gold handed to him on a sliver platter? just saying you don't have to agree it's my opinon. As for what skater A said about skater B who cares they all talk smack about each other always have always will.
    So what's going to happen if the Russians don't win Ice Dance are they going to whine & complain they were robbed of the gold....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    He has a point though, Plushenko's behavior is beyond embarrassing.
    How is it any more embarrassing or any different than what Sale and Pelletier did in SLC? Plenty of would be champions go on the "I wuz robbed!" gravy train. Once in a great while, you can get a duplicate gold medal out of it.

As for Patrick Chan and his Johnny comment, how long has this brat been in figure skating? If some old lady or young girl made him a crown to wear, let him show his appreciation for her love and support. Obviously someone went through lots of trouble for it and he made someone extremely happy. It's not the first time skaters have worn a funny hat that was given to them (I remember Philippe Candeloro doing that in 1998). Certainly better than those skaters who have attitude problems in the K & C.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Raatkirani View Post
    How is it any more embarrassing or any different than what Sale and Pelletier did in SLC? Plenty of would be champions go on the "I wuz robbed!" gravy train. Once in a great while, you can get a duplicate gold medal out of it.

As for Patrick Chan and his Johnny comment, how long has this brat been in figure skating? If some old lady or young girl made him a crown to wear, let him show his appreciation for her love and support. Obviously someone went through lots of trouble for it and he made someone extremely happy. It's not the first time skaters have worn a funny hat that was given to them (I remember Philippe Candeloro doing that in 1998). Certainly better than those skaters who have attitude problems in the K & C.
    Yeah. He was a also a poster boy for decorum and good taste in skating.

Custom Title
    I agree. What a skater does in the K&C is up to them. It's probably the one moment that audiences around the world who are not diehard fans really get to see that figure skaters are actually human. While it's important for the skaters to remained as composed as possible while they wait for their scores, the skaters did just step off the ice and are very emotional. I'd rather see a skater very happy and soaking in the moment (i.e. Johnny with the huge smile and roses, or 2008 nationals with tears of joy) or a skater truly upset with a bad skate (i.e. Johnny at 2007 and 2009 nationals with the tears, or Joubert any time he bombs and doesn't even look at the crowd and has his head in his hands) because then we get to see that they actually cared about what happened on the ice. So while, remaining expressionless in the K&C might be the "proper" thing to do according to Patrick, seeing a skater devoid of emotion in the K&C makes me think that they don't care about their performance, which then makes me wonder, if they care at all about their skating and why they're even doing the sport.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    Yeah. He was a also a poster boy for decorum and good taste in skating.
    Maybe he wasn't the Todd Eldredge of the figure skating world, but he ws a two-time Olympic bronze medalist, HUGELY popular around the world, and let's remember, he got the second highest technical score at the 1998 Olympics after Kulik. If wants to wear the musketeer hat, more power to him.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    as expected

I'm sick of this dispute. Lysacek won gold, and it will be his forever. Let's move on!

Custom Title
    Maybe he wasn't the Todd Eldredge of the figure skating world, but he ws a two-time Olympic bronze medalist, HUGELY popular around the world, and let's remember, he got the second highest technical score at the 1998 Olympics after Kulik. If wants to wear the musketeer hat, more power to him.
    I disagree, and he should have kept his clothes on.

Custom Title

The comment about Johnny in the Kiss and Cry was random, but I mean he is entitled to his own opinion. It's not like he bashed Johnny's skating.

I agree with dlgffps.

However if anyone can do the quad then I'd like to see Mr Chan prove it!

On the Ice
    For me Chan is completely forgettable....
    And I would like to see him trying a quad combo since anyone can do a single quad....
    How much lower can they sink...

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast