Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Well, that is my point. That skaters are pawns in the game, while the judges and the higher ups are the kingmakers. Don't hate the player, hate the gamekeeper.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I wish I didn't post this now, because it wasn't meant to start of a bash. If you actually watched the interview you would see he was very gracious, and honest. I don't think those of you outside of Canada can even understand the amount of pressure on this guy. The media hyped him up as one of the best bets for a medal at the Olympics, but anyone who really watches figure skating would know that was a stretch, wtih the return of Plushenko and Lambiel. I think ti is amazing the attitude he had today, thanking the crowd, and saying it was a great experience.

Actually, you are correct. Patrick did say "the right guy won." I don't get why people here are so mean spirited. It's really strange. All of Canada agrees that Evan L. deserved to win and no one here is griping that Patrick did not end up on the podium. Of course, we want him to do well and be in the top ten in order to send male skaters to the next Olympics and the Worlds. It only makes sense. This was his first Olympics and he did not have the adavantage of experience that the other skaters like Evan L. and Plushenko or Joubert and Stehpen L. had.

Instead of taking it out on Chan, why are people here not dissing Plushenko? After all he did actually step on the top of the Podium before accepting his silver medal and his Coach and the Russian Federation are crying "foul" judging.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
He didn't say he was too jealous, he said he was a bit jealous. Big difference. I think anyone at this level wants to be on the podium.

Exactly. Also when a person says they are "jealous" it could be in fun - I think that is what he meant. Have none of you here ever said "Gee, I'm jealous..." it's one of those
reactions we all have from time to time.

coconutpunch

Rinkside
I thought Chan underwent extensive media training on how to talk and portray himself to us folks in front of the telly (or PC). :indiff: He's not doing a good job in making me like him, that's for sure.

ks777

Record Breaker
Ok I don't like Johny Weir at all but Chan has no right to tell another skater how to act in Kiss'n cry. I can't stand Chan more and more.

yangjie

On the Ice
Ok I don't like Johny Weir at all but Chan has no right to tell another skater how to act in Kiss'n cry. I can't stand Chan more and more.

me too.

i wonder how canadians think about his remarks.

don't canadians think that he must respect other skaters?

Smuusik

Rinkside
Instead of taking it out on Chan, why are people here not dissing Plushenko? After all he did actually step on the top of the Podium before accepting his silver medal and his Coach and the Russian Federation are crying "foul" judging.

Yes because dissing Plushenko has come the favourite pastime. I mean, certainly he is the ONLY person who has managed to say something controversial during these games and there is no way Patrick opened his mouth one time too often before he actually got on ice (and got overmarked)... jeez.

I'm getting sick of this.

Last edited:

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Have you ever talked to a 19 year old boy before? They don't really have etiquette. So he talks a lot and doesn't really censor what he says, that's better than him being on the news for being some huge alchie or stoner that gets random girls pregnant. Likely he's very high strung because he has no social life and can't let lose and do normal teenage things so he has angst.

I'm a 19 year old male. I think I'm well-mannered.

Saying that being a big-mouthed lout is not as bad as being caught up in drugs and sex may be well and true, but since when was theft ever put on the same level as murder or rape? Just because some things are worse doesn't mean that other things cannot be considered rude or in bad taste.

Alatariel

On the Ice
I can't believe he said that. I really, really can't believe he said that.

That jerk is officially an absolute idiot. I don't care he's 19. His personality is already formed, he just hasn't learned the diplomacy of keeping his mouth shut which would prevent his true thoughts to be splashed all over the media. I've disliked him more and more for about a year now and well, I do hope he gets to taste a little something the moment he steps out of Canada. I'd love to see him try this in Russia if he sticks around for four years. Somehow I doubt he'd have the guts to open his foul mouth. Little twerps like him never do.

The little twit.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Does Patrick often show a lack of tact and grace? Yep

Does he have the right to say whatever he wants? Yep

Do we have the right to challenge him on whatever he says? Yep

Do some people here look for little things to nitpick on while overlooking the actions of their favourites? Yep

Is there a difference between double standards and similar responses in different situations? Yep

BigJohn

On the Ice
I can't believe he said that. I really, really can't believe he said that.

That jerk is officially an absolute idiot. I don't care he's 19. His personality is already formed, he just hasn't learned the diplomacy of keeping his mouth shut which would prevent his true thoughts to be splashed all over the media. I've disliked him more and more for about a year now and well, I do hope he gets to taste a little something the moment he steps out of Canada. I'd love to see him try this in Russia if he sticks around for four years. Somehow I doubt he'd have the guts to open his foul mouth. Little twerps like him never do.

The little twit.

WTH does that even mean? Borderline perhaps...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Actually, you are correct. Patrick did say "the right guy won." I don't get why people here are so mean spirited. It's really strange. All of Canada agrees that Evan L. deserved to win and no one here is griping that Patrick did not end up on the podium. Of course, we want him to do well and be in the top ten in order to send male skaters to the next Olympics and the Worlds. It only makes sense. This was his first Olympics and he did not have the adavantage of experience that the other skaters like Evan L. and Plushenko or Joubert and Stehpen L. had.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Chan should probably try to hold back some of his thoughts, just to avoid drama/controversy that may come back to bite him in the butt, but what he's doing isn't nearly as bad as all this Plushenko nonsense. Impulse control....Chan should get a shrink and learn to deal with these pent up emotions and then he should be fine. I still think he seems nice, he's just a chatty kathy which, especially on a guy, can easily come off the wrong way.

Alatariel

On the Ice
You actually think he's nice with all the trash he's been talking? I am genuinely interested in this.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
You actually think he's nice with all the trash he's been talking? I am genuinely interested in this.

Yeah well, idk, he's my age and I just think that it's easy for teenagers to come off as conceited and rude when really they are good kids. I mean people were talking smack about Mirai after nationals because of something on her twitter that many people misunderstood, and from what I see and hear about her she's nothing but lovely. Patrick just doesn't seem like a mean spirited person, he may be a little cocky, but he has a reason to be and most likely it's just a way for him to hide that he's actually insecure, which I'm sure he is just regarding his age and all this pressure and attention. I think his biggest issue is that he's a little naieve, like he doesn't realize that the things he's saying could be taken as tool-y and obnoxious, so just says what he wants and figures everyone will still think of him as the sweet, wholesome boy he probably is. I've seen interviews and stuff and Don Laws only had good things to say about him, how he was such a hard worker, had the best attitude and work ethic, none of those things really scream "tool" to me so I just have trouble believing that he is one.

Alatariel

On the Ice
I applaud his work ethic, it is a great thing. I've read much of the same as you mention. The

how he was such a hard worker, had the best attitude and work ethic

part. The life of a professional athlete is a difficult one, I admire all of them but when you're that young, it's double hard, I remember how Uni was at that age and how one wanted to do a million things and not sit and warm the chair for hours on end.

On the other hand, I just don't buy the - he's young, kid etc argument. He's 19 not 9. He has a formed personality already. He's been in the media for quite a while. I can perhaps, perhaps but that is really stretching it - say that his Plushenko comments were not malicious. I think they were, I think he saw where the ball was rolling and jumped on the band wagon, he is not stupid at all. But let's say cockiness as you say, arrogance etc. But the Johnny Weir comment on top of all that? Completely out of the blue! And then, when you look back, well the Plushenko bit wasn't his first boo boo now was it?

I don't see any possibility of him being a sweet boy at the moment. A young man who's suddenly gotten a dose of celebrity and it got him high as a kite yes. Let's hope he comes down without crashing.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stojko: Wrong skater won men's gold

Stojko: Wrong skater won men's gold
As the Pacific Coliseum began emptying following American Evan Lysacek’s upset victory over Russian Evgeny Plushenko for the men’s Olympic figure skating gold medal Thursday night, former three-time world champion Elvis Stojko headed for the exits with a frown, not a smile.