Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event | Golden Skate

Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event

LisaS

On the Ice
I have merged all threads reportiing comments by prominent Canadians on the men's event in the news into this thread. Doris P.

They just interviewed Patrick Chan on CTV. He said the experience was amazing and it has made him hungry for more. Sounds like he won't be hanging up his skates any time soon.

He also mentioned he couldn't watch the medal ceremony, not because he doesn't lke the skaters, but because he felt a bit jealous because he wanted to be there.

He was very gracious and was very inspired by the Canadian Crowd. He said he will be rooting on the rest of the team (dance and ladies) in the crowd and hopes that he inspired them to do well, just like the Canadian pairs in the crowd helped him.

He didn't say a word about Plushenko or any of the other skaters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alatariel

On the Ice
He didn't say a word about Plushenko or any of the other skaters.

Of course the twit didn't say a word about Plushenko. Not only was Chan severely propped up to end up where he did, but his absolutely idiotic comments of Plushenko being an old man and skating good for his age and then ending up where he did, let's even forget the drone who got boosted to the top, makes him look like an absolute moron.

At least he learned that it was better to keep his mouth shut. Or was told to. And of course he's staying in skating, he was just shown that he can win without the most difficult content easily. And if it's anywhere on NA soil, well he's a sure thing! So why leave?

figuristka

Medalist
Thanks. I really think Patrick is a wonderful skater. He's like an ice dancer with jumps. Wonderful quality to his edge's. I think he could improve though even more artistically, i prefered weir more on an emotional level. As i have with Lambiel at Europeans. I don't like to see such negativity towards him, though agree felt some of his comments to the press not very mature. Glad he will stick around so we see him grow into a man.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He also mentioned he couldn't watch the medal ceremony, not because he doesn't lke the skaters, but because he felt a bit jealous because he wanted to be there.

Too jealous to watch the medal ceremony? He's still a big baby. How 'gracious' was it to even say that?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Good for Patrick! He's learning to protect himself.

I'm very glad that he "didn't watch the medal ceremony" :rolleye: , that way the interviewer couldn't bait him about Plushy's ..funny?/ nasty? / ungracious? little trick.

*** oh. I had to come back !I knew the 'jealous' remark would be pounced on immediately.. he'll have to do better yet at avoidance.:laugh:

Last edited:

LisaS

On the Ice
Too jealous to watch the medal ceremony? He's still a big baby. How 'gracious' was it to even say that?

He didn't say he was too jealous, he said he was a bit jealous. Big difference. I think anyone at this level wants to be on the podium.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I love Patrick, he's so cute! I thought he was awesome last night even though it wasn't enough to medal! Hope he sticks around :love:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
You Chan-haters are giving the rest of us who rightly think Chan is a bit of a wad a bad name. This is a case of the boy who cried twit. If you're going to all huffy when Chan has said nothing remotely controversial or offensive, your outrage for when he actually does say something impolitic—and mind you, it will happen—will be diffuse and impotent. So please, portion out your fury for an actual opportune moment. Think of it as the highlight distribution bonus of internet trolling.

LisaS

On the Ice
He didn't say he was too jealous, he said he was a bit jealous. Big difference. I think anyone at this level wants to be on the podium.

I wish I didn't post this now, because it wasn't meant to start of a bash. If you actually watched the interview you would see he was very gracious, and honest. I don't think those of you outside of Canada can even understand the amount of pressure on this guy. The media hyped him up as one of the best bets for a medal at the Olympics, but anyone who really watches figure skating would know that was a stretch, wtih the return of Plushenko and Lambiel. I think ti is amazing the attitude he had today, thanking the crowd, and saying it was a great experience.

formersk8ter

On the Ice
I don't know what to think of Chan. Not a fan of his big mouth at all, but somehow he strikes me as kind of a naive kid who just doesn't know what he should and shouldn't say.

Kinda glad he didn't medal, though.

figuristka

Medalist
I wish I didn't post this now, because it wasn't meant to start of a bash. If you actually watched the interview you would see he was very gracious, and honest. I don't think those of you outside of Canada can even understand the amount of pressure on this guy. The media hyped him up as one of the best bets for a medal at the Olympics, but anyone who really watches figure skating would know that was a stretch, wtih the return of Plushenko and Lambiel. I think ti is amazing the attitude he had today, thanking the crowd, and saying it was a great experience.

I don't see anything wrong with those comments. Iam glad he is wanting to do well. I look forward to seeing him skate again.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin: great post LisaS..The pressure's been on him since he first appeared on the Sr. scene..everyone recognizing his quality and knowing that the Olympics was coming. between 17 and 19, he's gone through a lot of changes..he's done really well, all things considered.. he does need to learn to be a bit more politic in his interviews. difficult to have to be a top level skater and a wordsmith to boot.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think he and Yuna Kim should date! They both live in Toronto and they would have cute asian babies that would be redic at figure skating :agree:

Patrick seems like a good kid...I don't really get an arrogant or bratty vibe from him, I don't know what all this drama is about.

Alatariel

On the Ice

Of course he was gracious and honest ... oh oops. Honest? Hmm ... really? :laugh:

And media hyped him? So he didn't make all those stupid remarks but the media invented them? That's a new one.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
The media definitely asked him leading questions (frequently), to which he often didn't have adroit answers..so he unwittingly provided fuel for those who like to stir up controversy ,and those who are wanting to dislike him ; wanting to take him in the worst possible context ; wanting an excuse to denigrate his abilities..particularly if their favourites don't shine in the same areas.

same old. same old.

Alatariel

On the Ice
This kid is such an idiot it's not even funny:

"Chan said that "anyone can do the quad," insisting the jump gets too much attention and distracts from the true artistry of the sport."

silverlake22

Record Breaker
This kid is such an idiot it's not even funny:

"Chan said that "anyone can do the quad," insisting the jump gets too much attention and distracts from the true artistry of the sport."

He sort of has a point though, a lot of the lower level skaters of the night did quads and it didn't help their scores much.