Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He has a point though, Plushenko's behavior is beyond embarrassing.

Chan was talking specifically about JOHNNY WEIR, not Plushenko. Mr. Prissy complained that Johnny should not have had flowers on his head (they were put there by a fan) because it wasn't "proper".

Where does he get off prescribing etiquette for other skaters?

It's one thing to critique competitors' skating (and even then, it is NOT good form to do that publicly, in the media). It's quite another thing to comment about other skaters in such a catty way.

What Chan did was snark about another competitor. That is the worst kind of "manners".

icebeauty

On the Ice
i wasn't happy that Patrick made those comments about Johnny's "behavior" in the Kiss n Cry. Yes, it was a bit unnecessary, but seeing that smile and joy on Johnny's face because of the reception his fans and the audience gave him paired with the 2 skates that he skated at the Olympics, i felt Johnny has at least earned the right to act however he wishes as long as it doesn't come at anyone else's expense. Johnny's career has been a roller-coaster, so it was nice to see (for the first time) that Johnny was actually having fun. Patrick's 19 right now, the same age that Johnny truly started his senior career. I challenge him to imagine how he would have handled all the criticism, all the highs and lows that Johnny experienced in the 6 years since and see how he would have reacted if he was in Johnny's position. But at the end of the day, this is just my opinion and Patrick is free to say what he wishes (especially since he's making quite a name for himself in the media realm like JW too)...because I'll still be cheering for him in the years to come.

BigJohn

On the Ice
Chan was talking specifically about JOHNNY WEIR, not Plushenko. Mr. Prissy complained that Johnny should not have had flowers on his head (they were put there by a fan) because it wasn't "proper".

Where does he get off prescribing etiquette for other skaters?

It's one thing to critique competitors' skating (and even then, it is NOT good form to do that publicly, in the media). It's quite another thing to comment about other skaters in such a catty way.

What Chan did was snark about another competitor. That is the worst kind of "manners".

Like Joubert before, Plushenko these days and many many before. Get a grip.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I find it really difficult to give a crap if athletes trash talk, smoke pot or cheat on their significant others. The first makes me want to hang out with them more, the second makes me less likely to trust them with my snacks, and the third makes me want to marry them slightly less. We happen to be fans of figure skating, a sport with some of the fairest and uncheatingest competitors around. It's the judges and committee members who cheat and break rules with flagrancy. Can we point our outrage in their direction instead?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Like Joubert before, Plushenko these days and many many before.

At least Joubert and Plushenko are talking about SKATING, not about what another skater did in the KnC.

Chan has stooped to a new low.

I wish he would work on his skating instead of concentrating on what he sees as other skaters' "faults". All of his much-vaunted transitions didn't put him on the Olympic podium. He should take a cue from Lysacek and just work hard on his shortcomings instead of engaging in inappropriate criticism of other skaters.

moscow

Rinkside
Chan's gotta learn now to keep his mouth shut. He has not earned the right. He's young and if he doesn't watch it, his personality will get inbetween his skating. Has he not watch Johnny's career? Johnny spoke his mind and I believe he was penalized severly throughout his career for it. Johnny atleast has been in the sport for the past 6 years at a top level and IMO has the right to speak his mind. Chan is new on the scene and he needs to learn some humility if he wants to progress in his career. Once he has reached Evgeny's status, feel free to say whatever the heck you want Chan, but until then I can't respect him.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Haven't seen the interview yet.

Was Chan asked whether he thought he was overmarked?

I hope the interviewer asked him whether he thought he got a home-ice advantage.

aurora100

Final Flight
I think he and Yuna Kim should date! They both live in Toronto and they would have cute asian babies that would be redic at figure skating :agree:

Patrick seems like a good kid...I don't really get an arrogant or bratty vibe from him, I don't know what all this drama is about.

I'm sure you meant no harm but gosh, this is a strange/awful thing to say. I'm not even going to touch the notion that they should date because they are asians, or asian figure skaters living in Toronto. Patrick is way too immature for any woman at this point. His maturity at the level of all the little girl fans who worship him.

Yuna is a big enough celebrity and beautiful enough, not to mention a star on ice, to pick any man she wants in Toronto or anywhere around the world, not to mention all of South Korea, I'd say.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Chan's gotta learn now to keep his mouth shut. He has not earned the right. He's young and if he doesn't watch it, his personality will get inbetween his skating. Has he not watch Johnny's career? Johnny spoke his mind and I believe he was penalized severly throughout his career for it. Johnny atleast has been in the sport for the past 6 years at a top level and IMO has the right to speak his mind. Chan is new on the scene and he needs to learn some humility if he wants to progress in his career. Once he has reached Evgeny's status, feel free to say whatever the heck you want Chan, but until then I can't respect him.

You know who has earned the right to speak their mind? Every single human being ever born. You know who has earned the right to be marked fairly in figure skating? Every athlete who ever competed in the sport. Don't put it on Johnny that judges mark him unfairly or engineer "educational" campaigns to tarnish his scores. It may be impolitic and stupid for Weir to have spoken his mind, but you know who's ultimately wrong in marking him down? The judges and the committees who enable them.

While what an athlete says may incense and offend you, as a skating fan, it behooves you to be even more incensed and offended by unfair judging. Would you rather we have a fair sport or one with backroom deals and shady propaganda campaigns where skaters are afraid to speak up? Sure, in the latter case, skaters may also be less likely to say something that pisses you off. If I were you, I'd prioritize fairness over my own sensibilities.

BigJohn

On the Ice
At least Joubert and Plushenko are talking about SKATING, not about what another skater did in the KnC.

Chan has stooped to a new low.

I wish he would work on his skating instead of concentrating on what he sees as other skaters' "faults". All of his much-vaunted transitions didn't put him on the Olympic podium. He should take a cue from Lysacek and just work hard on his shortcomings instead of engaging in inappropriate criticism of other skaters.

Both Joubert and Plushenko had comments about other skaters not taking risks or performing at women's or ice dance levels. That is being critical of them as athletes. In my book, it is harsher criticism then etiquette in the K&C. Just to give you some perspective, something that seems to be clouded by your obvious visceral hate of Chan.

When you say stooped to a new low, your post are a good example of just that.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'm sure you meant no harm but gosh, this is a strange/awful thing to say. I'm not even going to touch the notion that they should date because they are asians, or asian figure skaters living in Toronto. Patrick is way too immature for any woman at this point. His maturity at the level of all the little girl fans who worship him.

Yuna is a big enough celebrity and beautiful enough, not to mention a star on ice, to pick any man she wants in Toronto or anywhere around the world, not to mention all of South Korea, I'd say.

And he may not even like women anyway.

BigJohn

On the Ice
Chan's gotta learn now to keep his mouth shut. He has not earned the right. He's young and if he doesn't watch it, his personality will get inbetween his skating.

And you have the right to lecture him based on what? What have you accomplished in the field of Olympics figure skating?

You should also keep your mouth shut.

Has he not watch Johnny's career? Johnny spoke his mind and I believe he was penalized severely throughout his career for it. Johnny at least has been in the sport for the past 6 years at a top level and IMO has the right to speak his mind. Chan is new on the scene and he needs to learn some humility if he wants to progress in his career.

That is 6.0 mentality. An antiquated way of seeing figure skating.

Once he has reached Evgeny's status, feel free to say whatever the heck you want Chan, but until then I can't respect him.

First of all, the status Plushenko has reached at these Games is arrogant-sore-loser-out-of-touch-douche. That does not give him the right to say the dumb things he's been saying since being awarded a gift silver, and yet he speaks his mind anyway, becoming a very bad ambassador, no, an embarrassment for the sport.

Chan will never get that low and that is why he has my respect.

And Chan could not care less if he does not have your respect.

Last edited:

moscow

Rinkside
You know who has earned the right to speak their mind? Every single human being ever born. You know who has earned the right to be marked fairly in figure skating? Every athlete who ever competed in the sport. Don't put it on Johnny that judges mark him unfairly or engineer "educational" campaigns to tarnish his scores. It may be impolitic and stupid for Weir to have spoken his mind, but you know who's ultimately wrong in marking him down? The judges and the committees who enable them.

While what an athlete says may incense and offend you, as a skating fan, it behooves you to be even more incensed and offended by unfair judging. Would you rather we have a fair sport or one with backroom deals and shady propaganda campaigns where skaters are afraid to speak up? Sure, in the latter case, skaters may also be less likely to say something that pisses you off. If I were you, I'd prioritize fairness over my own sensibilities.

My post had nothing to do with Johnny or judges, where you come off with that argument I don't know. My point wasn't to say that Chan can't speak his mind, I'm all for people speaking their mind. Obvioiusly... I'm a johnny fan. That said I think he showed immaturity. I'm not offended by his remarks so again your argument has no bearing. I'm simply trying to state that he needs to let his skating do the talking. Until he's proven himself, most people aren't going to take him seriously. I made the comparison b/w weir because so far he's been the most outspoken athlete in our sport and do you see where it got him? controversy and dissrespect from alot of people. I don't want to see Chan go down that same road.

He is so young and has such huge potential that I hate to watch him draw attention to himself in the wrong ways. (i.e not on the ice). What would he rather be known for? A great skater, or somebody always bringing up controversy? Again, you saw the lack of respect Johnny got from NBC and the USFSA. Chan could very easily be going down that same road if he's not careful. He's young and has alot to learn. Yes he can speak his mind, but he needs to understand that with that comes alot of criticism and he's only presenting himself in a poor light and if he choses to do so, he needs to watch it and be careful that it's not at the expense of another skater. That's where chan crossed the line. No I'm not offended but it is a red flag.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
None of our business and irrelevant. Whoever will be his spouse will be one lucky dudette... or dude.

And it is just as irrelevant and as little of your business as to whether he'll be a good husband and whether his spouse will be lucky. Don't be assuming. He may turn out to be husband of the year or Ike Turner, or somewhere in between. Or maybe he'll be a lifelong bachelor. :p

He is so young and has such huge potential that I hate to watch him draw attention to himself in the wrong ways. (i.e not on the ice). What would he rather be known for? A great skater, or somebody always bringing up controversy? Again, you saw the lack of respect Johnny got from NBC and the USFSA. Chan could very easily be going down that same road if he's not careful. He's young and has alot to learn. Yes he can speak his mind, but he needs to understand that with that comes alot of criticism and he's only presenting himself in a poor light and if he choses to do so, he needs to watch it and be careful that it's not at the expense of another skater. That's where chan crossed the line. No I'm not offended but it is a red flag.

Er, again, you should be hating on NBC and the USFS and whoever else and demanding that they change their behavior. Rather than hope skaters keep bending to the will of bad judges and corrupt committees and then maybe they won't get screwed over.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It isn't as though this is the first time that Chan has made comments at the expense of another skater. Even before winning World silver last year, Chan has been badmouthing other skaters. He has foot in mouth disease, and he needs to learn to THINK before he speaks, because he comes across as arrogant and crass. Other skaters who have been outspoken have at least kept to the topic----figure skating---and have not branched out into critiquing another skater on personal behavior.

I don't much like Plushenko's complaints about losing to Lysacek, but he has not made personal remarks about Lysacek the person, only referred to skaters without the quad (and BTW, Lysacek has landed the quad many, many times in competition, just not this season).

BigJohn

On the Ice
And it is just as irrelevant and as little of your business as to whether he'll be a good husband and whether his spouse will be lucky. Don't be assuming. He may turn out to be husband of the year or Ike Turner, or somewhere in between. Or maybe he'll be a lifelong bachelor. :p

Patrick as Ike Turner. You have a vivid imagination.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
It isn't as though this is the first time that Chan has made comments at the expense of another skater. Even before winning World silver last year, Chan has been badmouthing other skaters. He has foot in mouth disease, and he needs to learn to THINK before he speaks, because he comes across as arrogant and crass. Other skaters who have been outspoken have at least kept to the topic----figure skating---and have not branched out into critiquing another skater on personal behavior.

I don't much like Plushenko's complaints about losing to Lysacek, but he has not made personal remarks about Lysacek the person, only referred to skaters without the quad (and BTW, Lysacek has landed the quad many, many times in competition, just not this season).

Can you tell me which ones? I'd like to see them. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

moscow

Rinkside
Desert, while your thoughts are good in their intention. It just doesn't work that way. NBC and USFSA, judges and whoever else seems to have the "problem" here carry more weight than the skaters themselves. Sorry but it's true. They are the ones that determine results, hand out the support and present athletes to the public. Chan doesn't need to leave room for doubt, ESPECIALLY this early on in his career. like the above poster said, atleast the others haven't targeted their remarks to the skater's themselves. Chan is walking (or shall I say skating) through a mine field with his continued remarks.

I want to like Chan, I really do. But he's making a fool out of himself. skate first, talk second. His comments were rude and unnecessary. And as his career is beginning to take off, it would be nice to see him build a solid fan base instead of leaving room for others to perceive him as an arrogant person. For some this was the first they saw of him and people are forming opinions and choosing their favorites over the next few years. And while this may not matter to Chan, it matters to the public. He needs to be careful. That's all I'm trying to say.