Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event

I don't care for the quad; it seems to have caused nothing but a host of injuries for those who land it including Plushenko and Yagudin. Remember Elvis's groin injury? I would rather have healthy skaters who can actually skate after their amateur careers.. Honestly, it is an amazing accomplishment that Plushenko was able to come back at the level he did. Full kudos to him for that. But, he wasn't artistic in the past and he still isn't. He could have beaten everyone on the technical mark probably, but he chose not to do this. I think his physical issues might have prevented him from spacing jumps throughout the long program and that may have been the smartest decision from his POV. He doesn't want to risk injury- but it factored into the scoring. Maybe the triple axel is retograde, but it is a much prettier jump. ( Yes, I know Evan's triple axel isn't particularly pretty! )

Evan's not my favorite skater either by a long margin. I think his 2006 LP was more "inspiring"- but I don't think it is emotional or nationalistic to feel that he won this fairly. C'mon guys, if Evan had jumped on the gold podium if he won the silver- everyone-including me- would think that was jerky behavior. It is jerky behavior- if you are Russian or American or anything else. Plushenko said he 'forgot" he didn't win the gold. I know that is sardonic humor- but it isn't sportsmanlike. I won't say that it is.

Also, I wish all of these skaters who have been to two or more Olympics would retire ... Let the new ones come. Plushenko's legacy is solid as he said himself. But, I'm sorry. He wouldn't be Dick Button if he had won two gold medals. Button landed the first double axel and triple jump in competition in his Olympics. Plushenko is a great champion, but he isn't an innovator in that rank. ( and neither is Evan- of course or Scott or most of the others).
    Last edited by 76olympics; 02-20-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Custom Title
    Hey, I like Chan quite a bit, but I can see where you're coming from. I think he'll be more once he gets (if he gets?) a solid triple axel. I remember his 3A from 4CC 2009 and it was a beauty. But at this stage, he's more potential than fulfillment, and the biggest mistake the Canadian Media made was calling him the latter instead of the former. I'll root for him though - he's a talent.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    I love Plushenko, but it was justifiably close between him and Evan despite the quad because Evan's jumps were cleaner. Now, I do agree that difficulty of elements (especially jumps) is important in the SPORT we call Figure Skating, but quality is also important.

If Plushenko and Evan had the same quality of jumps, then there would have been no question that Plushenko would have gotten that second Gold. But this was not so. Evan had better quality, and Plushenko had more difficulty. Evan squeaked by. My Mom/casual viewer thought Evan skated the best and she did enjoy his performance.

I agree with figuristka, I liked Johnny Weir's FS the most. Kozuka also landed a beauty of a quad. That was thrilling.

Currently, the quad is not essential for Men's Figure Skating, but I do think it should be worth more. It shows exceptional athleticism and requires years of training to be able to do. And, it's fading fast. The only reason we saw any quads or quad attempts at this year's Olympics is probably because of Plushenko.

Patrick Chan isn't far from greatness

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/newsmaker...r.html?ref=rss

Patrick Chan seems to realize now what he needs to become an Olympic figure-skating champion.

Another Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    I don't like Tim Goebel's skating, never have. He was a jumping bean. I think by now, you should know what I prefer. I don't understand why you and many others are so afraid of talking about quad. It seems that it has to be either this or that. We don't have to choose. We can have both, quad and artistry. (I have to say that your "king" doesn't have either one of these.)
    Then please do clarify what you prefer, because from what I have seen in your previous comments, they have pointed towards, "Do the quad and you will win. Don't do the quad, and you deserve to lose."

Custom Title
    So all Chan needs is to "skate clean", and the OGM is his? Perhaps. But he's never skated two clean programs in an international competition, let alone the Olympics. In Vancouver, neither the SP nor the FS was clean. I notice this article made no mention of Chan's elusive 3A, which he's struggled with for the past 3 years. It also carefully didn't mention the quad.

Chan's marks in Vancouver were quite inflated due to the home ice factor. So the comparison between Chan's scores and Lysacek's scores doesn't hold much water, because in Sochi, the home ice advantage will belong to another skater, not Chan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by watchvancouver View Post
    I found it !!! Patrick Chan cursed 'Fxxk' in KnC at 2007 Jr. Worlds. Watch at 8:02. This brat is just so annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks1rAWOANzo

He needs to be destroyed once and for all!
    I can't believe a 16 year old would use profanity. Gosh darn it, this golly jeepers gee wiz world is going to heck!

Quote Originally Posted by gfskater View Post
    I can't believe a 16 year old would use profanity. Gosh darn it, this golly jeepers gee wiz world is going to heck!
    You were being sarcastic, right? 'cause growing up, all my friends started swearing at about eleven.

Custom Title
    Chan should just shut his mouth and focus on what he can do. If you don't have a quad nor reliable triple axel, don't say things like "quad doesn't make you a man" (I was LMAO when I saw this on CTV lol) or things like that. How embarrassing. Plushenko gets to say what he says because he earned that status. Chan? His best achievement is that silver medal at 2009 worlds (who cares about canadian nationals). Canadians should stop overrating their athletes. Chan wouldn't be so full of himself if it werent for Canadians making him feel like he is one of the best which is far from truth.

I think the original point was not to condemn Chan for swearing but to point out the hypocrisy of his criticism of Johnny's K & C behavior.

Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    I think the original point was not to condemn Chan for swearing but to point out the hypocrisy of his criticism of Johnny's K & C behavior.
    Yes, well, somehow that's difficult to understand for some people as if it were higher maths.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    My biggest issues when discussing the quad is it's often confused for a penis in terms of how vital it is for men's figure skating.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

OMG. AHAHAHAHA. I can't stop laughing!

Quote Originally Posted by Alatariel View Post
    Yes, well, somehow that's difficult to understand for some people as if it were higher maths.
    I'm sorry for disappointing you, mother.

*snorts*

Kidding, kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by watchvancouver View Post
    I found it !!! Patrick Chan cursed 'Fxxk' in KnC at 2007 Jr. Worlds. Watch at 8:02.
    I have to watch for eight minutes and one second just to hear Patrick Chan say a naughty word?

Now if you have a close-up of Michelle Kwan's lips after her final pose when she won 2000 Worlds with Red Violin,... (I couldn't quite make it out, but I think the second word was "yeah!")

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnnn View Post
    Chan should just shut his mouth and focus on what he can do. If you don't have a quad nor reliable triple axel, don't say things like "quad doesn't make you a man" (I was LMAO when I saw this on CTV lol) or things like that. How embarrassing. Plushenko gets to say what he says because he earned that status. Chan? His best achievement is that silver medal at 2009 worlds (who cares about canadian nationals). Canadians should stop overrating their athletes. Chan wouldn't be so full of himself if it werent for Canadians making him feel like he is one of the best which is far from truth.
    Come now, he still is one of the best, even though that word is so subjective because there's potential to be the best and then what that person actually does at competitions and it can change drastically from one competition to the next. Anyhow, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzD07fXSIzw . This is a video from October, and he says he was working on a quad then so I guess he's had a change of heart since?

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast