Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event

dizzydi7

On the Ice
I was planning to keep out of this discussion but I just can't help myself. What would one expect from Elvis but to stick up for Plushy. Elvis, himself, had no grace or musicality in his skating. He was a skate, jump.......skate, jump performer.

I have never been a big fan of Evan's skating but I am thrilled that he beat Plushy. As I expected all along, Plushy has turned out to be a "horses' patoot". That guy is the worst sportsman I can remember. He's so into himself----self righteous, pompous, arrogant and the biggest jerk I have seen in skating. He jumps like a jackhammer, has no grace, musicality. And......Evan is giving him toooo much credit calling him a "nice guy".

Message to Plushenko-------you are a disgrace to your country and humanity as a whole. Go get a life you big loser!!

Dizzy

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The comment about Johnny in the Kiss and Cry was random, but I mean he is entitled to his own opinion. It's not like he bashed Johnny's skating.

He would have no grounds on which to bash Johnny's skating. Chan landed ONE clean 3A of 3 attempted. Johnny landed 3 beautiful, clean 3As.

And there was NO NEED to mention Johnny in the KnC. Why does he think he has the right to say what skaters should or should not do in the KnC? It's because CHan does things like that, that he winds up putting his foot squarely in his mouth.

If all the other skaters talked as negatively about Chan as he does of them, he'd be in a snit. As it is, the other skaters pay no attention to him because they don't value his opinion. To them, he's just an annoying child.

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
And there was NO NEED to mention Johnny in the KnC. Why does he think he has the right to say what skaters should or should not do in the KnC? It's because CHan does things like that, that he winds up putting his foot squarely in his mouth.

It's not like Chan has good manner in KnC. I remember he cursed something like 'fxxxk...' during a Junior Worlds competition. I swear I saw this on youtube. Can somebody dig out the clips? Pls.

BigJohn

On the Ice
He would have no grounds on which to bash Johnny's skating. Chan landed ONE clean 3A of 3 attempted. Johnny landed 3 beautiful, clean 3As.

If all the other skaters talked as negatively about Chan as he does of them, he'd be in a snit. As it is, the other skaters pay no attention to him because they don't value his opinion. To them, he's just an annoying child.

They all told you this personally? You've got some serious connections.

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
Chan is just an extremely boring, overrated, over-scored spoilt little brat, who obviously became "fat" from all the candies the judges gave him. However, his remarks are certainly more "interesting" than his meh skating/programmes. If he's the "future" of Men's skating, I'll quit watching it. :eek:hwell:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Chan is just an extremely boring, overrated, over-scored spoilt little brat, who obviously became "fat" from all the candies the judges gave him. However, his remarks are certainly more "interesting" than his meh skating/programmes. If he's the "future" of Men's skating, I'll quit watching it. :eek:hwell:

Really, I had no idea a cute, little asian boy was capable of being so evil. I honestly don't have any problems with the kid, just seems like a normal teenager to me.

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
I will never enjoy his skating because I detest him. Funny how that works.
But also, that weird, big-eyed look he gets before he skates is a turn-off. o_O
Guy needs to lighten up.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I will never enjoy his skating because I detest him. Funny how that works.
But also, that weird, big-eyed look he gets before he skates is a turn-off. o_O
Guy needs to lighten up.

Easier said than done for an elite athlete. Being high strung is part of the job. You have to be careful about everything: what you eat, how you practice, what you do in your free time, etc. It's hard to even have fun ever because you are constantly afraid of injuring yourself. Chan likely doesn't have a social life and that's probably why it appears he's lacking in social and communication skills in these interviews. He can't act like an idiot around his friends because he never gets to see them so he acts like an idiot to reporters. That's my theory .

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Easier said than done for an elite athlete. Being high strung is part of the job. You have to be careful about everything: what you eat, how you practice, what you do in your free time, etc. It's hard to even have fun ever because you are constantly afraid of injuring yourself. Chan likely doesn't have a social life and that's probably why it appears he's lacking in social and communication skills in these interviews. He can't act like an idiot around his friends because he never gets to see them so he acts like an idiot to reporters. That's my theory .

Lots of other skaters are his age and even younger: Florent Amodio, Denis Ten, Kevin Reynolds, Adam Rippon, Michal Brezina, etc. You don't get any sound bytes from them dissing other skaters. Rippon is a two-time World Junior Champion, JGPF Champion and 4CC Champion, and he's always upbeat and engaging. He trains just as hard as Chan does, but he hasn't let his successes go to his head the way Chan has.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Lots of other skaters are his age and even younger: Florent Amodio, Denis Ten, Kevin Reynolds, Adam Rippon, Michal Brezina, etc. You don't get any sound bytes from them dissing other skaters. Rippon is a two-time World Junior Champion, JGPF Champion and 4CC Champion, and he's always upbeat and engaging. He trains just as hard as Chan does, but he hasn't let his successes go to his head the way Chan has.

Chan's world silver is a bigger accomplishment than that of those other guys. I didn't say he wasn't cocky, I just think it's a little extreme to consider him a bad person or brat because of a few things he's said on tv.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chan's world silver is a bigger accomplishment than that of those other guys. I didn't say he wasn't cocky, I just think it's a little extreme to consider him a bad person or brat because of a few things he's said on tv.

Lots of men have won a world medal without becoming loud-mouthed critics of other skaters.

I don't know what kind of a person Chan is, so I don't consider HIM "bad". It's his behavior that is off-putting. And it seems as if the more controversial his statements are, the more he goes out of his way to continue that bad behavior.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
For once, I totally agree with Stojko. Somebody has to address this issue.

You prefer that Plushy mail his 2002 Silver medal to Tim Goebel. Goebel did three quads. Since quad is only thing that counts maybe Yags should also send his medal to Goebel.

Or now you return to 2002 argument that quad is not important and all around skating is what matters ;)

i love to skate

Medalist
I am glad to see the hate is alive and well at GS. :disapp:I came on today to see what the atmosphere was like and now I will be leaving. I am glad I have been at the olympics where the atmosphere is wonderful and people are enjoying all the events. The true spirit of the games is very much on display here! Congrats to all the men's medalists!!!

jennylovskt

Medalist
You prefer that Plushy mail his 2002 Silver medal to Tim Goebel. Goebel did three quads. Since quad is only thing that counts maybe Yags should also send his medal to Goebel.

Or now you return to 2002 argument that quad is not important and all around skating is what matters ;)

I don't like Tim Goebel's skating, never have. He was a jumping bean. I think by now, you should know what I prefer. I don't understand why you and many others are so afraid of talking about quad. It seems that it has to be either this or that. We don't have to choose. We can have both, quad and artistry. (I have to say that your "king" doesn't have either one of these.)

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
While i do not think it should be all about quads, i think some things with the new scoring needs to be addressed. Still needs tweaking after this in singles skating. I myself still felt Plushenko should have won and i asked my family in Canada and they thought the same. I prefer the artistic skaters right now like Lambiel, Weir, even Chan but i still think there needs to be a balance. They need time to really perform to the audience, perhaps making it alittle too complicated takes something away.i felt after the free programs let down. Lysacek's skating neither moved me artistically or emotionally, or thrilled me with the excitement of the jumps. My favourite of the Free programs i saw ended up to be Johnny Weir.

volk

Final Flight
Quad should be given more points. The fact that 3A/2t is almost the same amount of points is ridiculous. Of course you can't win with just one jump, but the fact that so few people do it should be taken into consideration. Also so few people attempt 3a/3t. Lysachek didn't even try it. That shows you the technical gap between him and Plush. With this scoring system technical development of skating is going nowhere.