Should Past Olympians be Allowed To Return for another Run at the Gold? | Golden Skate

Should Past Olympians be Allowed To Return for another Run at the Gold?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Should Past Olympians be Allowed To Return for another Run at the Gold?

Never mind sore losers or all the Hype around skaters like Plushenko, should past Olympic medalists like S&Z and Plushenko be allowed to return to the Olympics for another shot at the Olympic gold? I don't think it is fair to the other skaters who have have maintained their amateur status for these so called "retired" skaters to return to compete at the Olympics.

I think the old rule should be reinstated - once a skaters turns professional or no longer competes in the amateur world they should not be allowed to return exclusively for the Olympics.

I think that's absurd. All the other sports have huge stars who've done multiple Olympics. Shaun White, Lindsey Vonn, Michael Phelps, Shani Davis, etc. etc. For figure skating to have some arbitrary rule that eliminates that possibility is just suicidal.

It's not as if going pro gives skaters some advantage over continuing to compete. Quite the contrary - they get out of shape and out of the limelight since there are no pro competitions any more.

The only criterion for the Olympics should be WHO'S THE BEST. Anything else diminishes the sport.

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
Yes, they should be allowed to return to the Olympics. I think it gives the current skaters an additional challenge/goal to work for. If I remember correctly, Shen/Zhao and Plushy did not turn pro after Torino.

amateur

Final Flight
100% disagree (with the first post)

Competitions exist in order for anyone out there to enter and attempt to show their greatness/superiority. Period. Note that a lot of attempted comebacks are not altogether successful. There's a reason for this; it's not a cakewalk for them either; the returning competitors still earn their way back through hard work, when they've lost the momentum they would have had when they were last competing. And it's a different sort of challenge trying to earn another medal when one is past their peak, with younger, more energetic competitors nipping at their heels. A compelling challenge that adds another dimension to any competition, only makes the competition richer, from my point of view. Why should a great athlete be sentenced to an ultimatum of ethat dictates they must "slave away" at their sport for four (more) solid years, at competitions that might start to diminish in significance for them, at the expense of gaining other life experience they might desire (and don't forget they've already put in so much to reach their level of excellence, and are young people who, like all of us, only live once..).

Look at Brian Joubert - (not that I know anything really about what's gone on with him, but) things seem to indicate he might have benefitted from a break somewhere along the way.. had he done so, should that have disqualified him this Olympics, when the possibilty of regrouping, gaining some of whatever life experience he feels he's needed, might have resulted in him coming into this competition in better shape, healtheir and happier as a human being, maybe better able to shine?

At any rate, to me as a fan, Plushy's and Shen/Zhao's presence absolutely made those events more compelling.

I'll add that, even if you don't wish for a certain "former great" to win yet again... I still think they do belong there, as in my mind there is nothing wrong with having a "villian" in sport.. it makes your heroes' victories even more rewarding when they do occur...

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's no rule excluding returnees, and there should not be. If skaters can qualify nationally to represent their country at the Olympics, then they have every right to do so.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Er, the old rule never left? Any skater who competes in a non-ISU sanctioned competition loses Olympic eligibility for life. This is done solely so the ISU can maintain its choke-hold and monopoly on skating. It's a ridiculous rule that is not conducive to true competition. Any skater who wants to should be allowed to return for the Olympics or whatever ISU competition. They should only lose eligibility if they ever become a cheating judge. :p

viv

On the Ice
Count me among those that think they should be allowed to return. I simply can't imagine any argument against it. If the young ones are not good enough to beat the old ones, then hooray for the old ones. If they beat them, I'm fine with it as well.
And from an economic point of view it might help athletes to do mostly shows for a year or two, and then return to competition. I can't imagine, for example, Aljona & Robin staying eligible for the next four years - they didn't get much money from the German federation and could earn much more by doing shows only for a time. I would love to see them at next Olympics, though.

gfskater

On the Ice
I think the old rule should be reinstated - once a skaters turns professional or no longer competes in the amateur world they should not be allowed to return exclusively for the Olympics.

I think every gold medal athlete in any olympic sport should have the privilege to defend their title and should automatically qualify.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Absoloutely. If say, Scott Hamilton decided he wants to come back and compete in Sochi in 2014 then as long as he can qualify for the team then I see no reason why he shouldn't be allowed. It should be about who is the best, not who has competed most recently.

Cadiva

On the Ice

Absolutely they should be able to come back, it adds to the excitement of the Games and gives an extra challenge not only to the returning competitors but also to those younger ones taking part. Torvill & Dean's return in 1994 brought massive publicity outside of the normal "Olympic" media channels and the same has happened this year with the Chinese pair, the French Ice Dancers and with Plushenko.

nypudding

Spectator
i see nothing wrong with skaters returning to the olympic scene once they've turned professional. if a past olympic medalist wants to return and try for a medal again and has shown that he/she can still beat the other skaters in their country, then absolutely, he/she should go compete again!

Perfect examples are Plushenko and Sasha Cohen. Plushenko has shown that he is still the best in his country at his nationals, and thus, he is able to go and compete at the Olympics. Sasha Cohen has shown that she is unable to beat her other countrymen for the spot to compete in the olympics, thus she's not at the olympics. What makes you think that Plushenko doesnt put in the hard work as the other skaters? Do you think that he can just automatically jump and land a quad from the first day of learning? It takes years of practice and dedication and i admire skaters who can come back and try to be the best that they can be. I even admire Sasha Cohen for coming back into training--it shows how hard it is for any skater to try to reach for the top.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
I totally support allowing previous winners to return. The Olympics are a competition, afterall, not a turn-by-turn award.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
If you have proven that you are the best or one of the best, you deserve to go; whether or not (opposing?) fans agree or disagree.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Absoloutely. If say, Scott Hamilton decided he wants to come back and compete in Sochi in 2014 then as long as he can qualify for the team then I see no reason why he shouldn't be allowed. It should be about who is the best, not who has competed most recently.

I remember in 2002 or 2003 people suggesting Kurt Browning could have been on the podium if he'd come back in 1998 or 2002 (and managed to skate a clean short)... and I agree, if you qualify and make it, more power to you (wouldn't that be awesome to see Kurt back in action, bet he'd skate circles around those kids)

Allowed? Who is going to "disallow" anyone, the Olympic police? They are too busy checking to see whether Japanese snowboarders have their shirt-tails tucked in.

Last edited:

edge31

Rinkside
Sure... as long as your federation puts you forward then why not? I think there is a lot of leftover feelings from when it WAS strictly amateur vs pro and the advantages of a pro coming back when the name of the game was "paying your dues". Back then it wasn't fair as skaters had played the game only to be told in an Olympic year that the game changed - sorry. More time and money with no gain in earnings because there had been no olympic exposure.
But now that all the earnings rules have been relaxed (Yu-Na Kim and her 8 million dollars! yikes), they are all pretty much on even ground. The "pro" has just taken a little break, and is older... that's all.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
As long as the spot is deserved, then why not? I bet other skaters would feel cheated to even win a medal at the Olympics while knowing that their toughest competition wasn't there because of a barring them from participation (a good example would be Davis/White admitting that this Nationals really felt like their first Gold since they beat Belbin/Agosto fair and square on the same ice at the same competition).

If they DID want to make some rule about it, the only one I could think of would be that the team would have to compete in at least one international competition before or after the Olympics in the same season (be it 4CCs, Euros or Worlds)... perhaps maybe have it so that they should compete in Worlds afterwards to secure placements for new skaters for the next season. The only thing I ever thought unfair is when skaters back out of Worlds after winning the OGM, sure it would create controversy if they don't match their win, but what if backing out means less spots for your team next year?

bladesoflori

Rinkside
Sure. if they qualify. And if they have made a few bucks here and there, more power to them. Skating is expensive.

heyang

Record Breaker
I don't see Pro's returning as an issue if they've earned their spots on the teams. As others have pointed out, amateur vs pro was about making money. Since the rules about financial earnings were lifted, the line has totally blurred. If the returning skaters are better than the younger, then they deserve to represent their countries as the best of that country. It's not as though the returnees don't have to train and sacrifice as much as the younger kids - if anything, training becomes harder.

As evidenced by the 1994 Olympics, being a returnee is not a guarantee for a medal either. Brian Boitano didn't even go as the US Champion - he got the second spot after Scott Davis won the US Championships that year and neither medalled at the Olympics.

Teams like Brasseur and Eisler 'lost' with the presence of returnees, but, then again, they didn't outskate the 2 Russian teams .

Shen and Zhao returned better than ever. Germany's S/S just happen to be having a rough year and I think that hesitancy was evident. While P/T had THE performance of their career during Oly LP, I don't think P/T nor Z/Z had developed that totall connection where 2 skate as 1.