Article with Plushenko Quotes after Free Skate | Golden Skate

Article with Plushenko Quotes after Free Skate

ademption

Rinkside
Here's another article with Putin weighing in on the men's skate last night:

Putin lent his support to the Russian athlete, who was second on the podium to America's Evan Lysacekv, by saying his silver medal finish "was worth a gold medal."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...-Putin-weighs-into-figure-skating-debate.html

Also from the same article, Plushenko's wife's comments:

Plushenko's wife demanded that Russian authorities publicly defend her husband who was relegated into second position by world champion Evan Lysacek despite the American's more conservative performance.

"This is a gross mistake by the judges," Plushenko's wife, Yana Rudkovskaya, told the Russia-24 television network. "We need to defend our sportsmen and protect their honour."

Hey maybe if the Russians put up a big stink over this like the Canadians in 2002, the IOC will award a double gold medal for the men like they did for WATB Sale/Pelletier? That's snark, I think....

Scandal and drama--gosh, I love this sport!!

piano18

Rinkside
Tell him Plush. Evan is too overrated. and Overhyped by the American media. Those Yankee media and their silly behaviour.

Big Deal

Final Flight
What???? To jump onto the top of an Olympic Podium before the REAL Olympic Champion was even announced???

Better to go back normal and think about it, Mr. Plushenko. You WON an Olympic Silver, don't make yourself a LOSER with a bad sportmanship, pls!!!

BigJohn

On the Ice
What???? To jump onto the top of an Olympic Podium before the REAL Olympic Champion was even announced???

Better to go back normal and think about it, Mr. Plushenko. You WON an Olympic Silver, don't make yourself a LOSER with a bad sportmanship, pls!!!

I think that has clearly been established the last few days.

qazwsx

Rinkside
Here's another article with Putin weighing in on the men's skate last night:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...-Putin-weighs-into-figure-skating-debate.html

Also from the same article, Plushenko's wife's comments:

Hey maybe if the Russians put up a big stink over this like the Canadians in 2002, the IOC will award a double gold medal for the men like they did for WATB Sale/Pelletier? That's snark, I think....

Scandal and drama--gosh, I love this sport!!

what would have happened if Evan were the one did quad and won silver, a russian guy without quad won gold? the media coverage would have been all over the place, a second gold medal is probably already on the way.

ademption

Rinkside
what would have happened if Evan were the one did quad and won silver, a russian guy without quad won gold? the media coverage would have been all over the place, a second gold medal is probably already on the way.

As I said on another thread, Evan would have played the victim in a passive-aggressive way, while letting Frank Carroll, Scotty Hamilton, Sandra Bezic, Sale-Pelletier and select North American media do the dirty work for him. You know whining loudly about the results and complaining to anyone who would listen that the judging wasn't fair, blah, blah, blah. I think the only difference besides the passive-aggressive response by Evan would be that President Obama wouldn't have gotten involved in the controversy. He and his wife didn't attend these Games, which goes to show you how little they care about this. Figure skating just isn't a big deal here in the US anymore. It's the ugly stepchild to sports like American football, baseball and basketball.

If one good thing comes about from all this noise about Plushenko and Lysacek, I hope that this raises awareness about figure skating in the US again. Goodness knows that this sport need some type of publicity. Wish it was good publicity, but I'll take anything at this point...

enlight78

Medalist
I would understand if plushy actually skated perfect but his jumps were shakey and he had no difficult elements in the second half of his program; is he serious; The rules been around for years; it is in plain black and white how he lost; I wish a basketball team would complain about losing a championship because three pointers aren't worth enough; they should be six points;