Thread: Will Evan's Win and Russia's Fury Hurt the Other Events?

Hybrid View

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar

Will Evan's Win and Russia's Fury Hurt the Other Events?

Russia is in an uproar over the "unfair" judging during the Men's Freeskate. I think most of us here disagree with them, but after the Russian Fed fell short in both the pairs and the men's events do you think that the judges will give them more of a chance in the dance? There are no serious condensers for a medal in the ladies, so Russia's last chance for a medal (Gold) is with the dance. I really hope we see more fair judging but fear that for the Russian Fed to walk away from this without a gold will be too terrible a fall from grace after they almost had a sweep in 2006.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Russia is in an uproar over the "unfair" judging during the Men's Freeskate. I think most of us here disagree with them, but after the Russian Fed fell short in both the pairs and the men's events do you think that the judges will give them more of a chance in the dance? There are no serious condensers for a medal in the ladies, so Russia's last chance for a medal (Gold) is with the dance. I really hope we see more fair judging but fear that for the Russian Fed to walk away from this without a gold will be too terrible a fall from grace after they almost had a sweep in 2006.

If anything they will give them less, what they are doing is an embarrassment to the Olympics

Custom Title
    C'mon judges!
    Most of the particular segments of all 2 disciplines was judged fairly. Maybe first time since decades. Please, continue that, doesn't matter which skaters came from where.
    Do care only the quality, like all the REAL fans. Thank you in advance!

I honestly think the judging has been fair, for the medal winners at least, and will continue to be fair

Rinkside
    "Win Evan's Win and Russia's Fury Hurt the Other Events?"

Do you mean "WILL Evan's win..."??

I can't say I blame the russians. Are they going about it the wrong way, yes. But give them a break they are taking a huge hit to their ego right now. Whether or not you think a quad should be included in a champions gold medal performance, I think we can all agree both of them deserved the top two spots and really it could have gone either way with a different panel of judges. Evgeny has a right be upset. He also should be thrilled to add another olympic medal to his career. Don't worry this will all die down soon enough. Now to answer your question, I have to be honest and say I don't have much faith in the judges or the system so there is a chance the russians could be held up with all the pressure being put on. I think it's the least of our worries, the top teams are so close and have been close all season so again, things could probably go either way.

Rinkside
    Probably. But with the way they've been skating their ODs and FD's, it's really hard to hold them up. I think D/S will get a medal, the colour I don't know. If D/S don't get the gold, I hope it goes to V/M. I don't see a North American sweep. I don't think ice dance is ready for that. I predict V/M, D/W, D/S on the podium. Maybe D/S may sneak in and get the silver. But hey, the ice is slippery and anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by moscow View Post
    Whether or not you think a quad should be included in a champions gold medal performance, I think we can all agree both of them deserved the top two spots and really it could have gone either way with a different panel of judges.
    The interesting thing is that once you pour over the protocols (I did some calculations here - http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/46416.html) - it seems that Lysacek's score would have been about the same with another panel but that Plushenko's could have been almost anything.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by moscow View Post
    Evgeny has a right be upset.
    Yes, I agree that Evgeny has a right to be upset. Especially he should be upset because of his own jumping and because of the arrogance of his team combined with a surprising CoP-ignorance. Even with having an off-jumping day Evgeny could have won the freeskate and the event, if his programme had been smarter CoP-wise.
    Last edited by Ptichka; 02-20-2010 at 09:14 AM.

On the Ice
    I don't think all of Russia is in an uproar over this, at least that's not the impression I have from reading actual Russian articles and forums, but anyway:
    just a few days ago all of North America was in a huge uproar at the mere thought that the some arrogant Russian incompetent enemy skater may win over the honest hardworking American. I can't imagine what would have happened if that arogant bad Russian who had to be taught a lesson actually won...

Not to mention, all of North America accused that the Russian will just win absolutely no matter what because (and this is self-explanatory since everyone remembers from the cold war), Russians are all corrupt villains, and if they ever win anything it can only be because of corruption, because obviously Russian skaters have no merits, only North Americans.

Of course, North American media speaks the truth and Russians are egositic poor sport losers.
    Double standards much?