Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71

Thread: Will Evan's Win and Russia's Fury Hurt the Other Events?

  1. #1
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989

    Will Evan's Win and Russia's Fury Hurt the Other Events?

    Russia is in an uproar over the "unfair" judging during the Men's Freeskate. I think most of us here disagree with them, but after the Russian Fed fell short in both the pairs and the men's events do you think that the judges will give them more of a chance in the dance? There are no serious condensers for a medal in the ladies, so Russia's last chance for a medal (Gold) is with the dance. I really hope we see more fair judging but fear that for the Russian Fed to walk away from this without a gold will be too terrible a fall from grace after they almost had a sweep in 2006.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Russia is in an uproar over the "unfair" judging during the Men's Freeskate. I think most of us here disagree with them, but after the Russian Fed fell short in both the pairs and the men's events do you think that the judges will give them more of a chance in the dance? There are no serious condensers for a medal in the ladies, so Russia's last chance for a medal (Gold) is with the dance. I really hope we see more fair judging but fear that for the Russian Fed to walk away from this without a gold will be too terrible a fall from grace after they almost had a sweep in 2006.

    If anything they will give them less, what they are doing is an embarrassment to the Olympics

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    434
    C'mon judges!
    Most of the particular segments of all 2 disciplines was judged fairly. Maybe first time since decades. Please, continue that, doesn't matter which skaters came from where.
    Do care only the quality, like all the REAL fans. Thank you in advance!

  4. #4
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,761
    I honestly think the judging has been fair, for the medal winners at least, and will continue to be fair

  5. #5
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13
    "Win Evan's Win and Russia's Fury Hurt the Other Events?"

    Do you mean "WILL Evan's win..."??

    I can't say I blame the russians. Are they going about it the wrong way, yes. But give them a break they are taking a huge hit to their ego right now. Whether or not you think a quad should be included in a champions gold medal performance, I think we can all agree both of them deserved the top two spots and really it could have gone either way with a different panel of judges. Evgeny has a right be upset. He also should be thrilled to add another olympic medal to his career. Don't worry this will all die down soon enough. Now to answer your question, I have to be honest and say I don't have much faith in the judges or the system so there is a chance the russians could be held up with all the pressure being put on. I think it's the least of our worries, the top teams are so close and have been close all season so again, things could probably go either way.

  6. #6
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    18
    Probably. But with the way they've been skating their ODs and FD's, it's really hard to hold them up. I think D/S will get a medal, the colour I don't know. If D/S don't get the gold, I hope it goes to V/M. I don't see a North American sweep. I don't think ice dance is ready for that. I predict V/M, D/W, D/S on the podium. Maybe D/S may sneak in and get the silver. But hey, the ice is slippery and anything can happen.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    No, no need to worry, this Olympics is being held in North America. V&M will win and so too will D&W.

  8. #8
    Forum translator Ptichka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,430
    Quote Originally Posted by moscow View Post
    Whether or not you think a quad should be included in a champions gold medal performance, I think we can all agree both of them deserved the top two spots and really it could have gone either way with a different panel of judges.
    The interesting thing is that once you pour over the protocols (I did some calculations here - http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/46416.html) - it seems that Lysacek's score would have been about the same with another panel but that Plushenko's could have been almost anything.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,559
    Quote Originally Posted by moscow View Post
    Evgeny has a right be upset.
    Yes, I agree that Evgeny has a right to be upset. Especially he should be upset because of his own jumping and because of the arrogance of his team combined with a surprising CoP-ignorance. Even with having an off-jumping day Evgeny could have won the freeskate and the event, if his programme had been smarter CoP-wise.
    Last edited by Ptichka; 02-20-2010 at 09:14 AM.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    126
    I am tired of hearing about how Evgeny did a quad so he should have won. He did one less jump than Evan, Evan did 12 jumps, Evgeni did 11. You get 10% bonus for jumps after the half way mark, and you should. After the half, Evan did 8 Evgeni did 4.

    Evan won because he did more jumps and his program was constructed correctly. Evgheny's coaches know how the point system works and they blew it for him. To me it appeared that Evgeny knew he lost when he finished, look at his face. To turn around and stir up controversy brings bad publicity to a sport that already has a tarnished reputation,

    The fact the the judges gave them both the same PCS score is the outrage to me. Evan skated much better PCS wise. He skated like he had been training for four years. Evgeny skated like he got out of bed a few months ago and decided to skate at the Olympics. I am sorry but that is what it looked like to me. I watched both programs several times on DVR. Evan turned harder, on deeper edges, with more extension, power, and speed.

    Evgeny thinks the other are his enemies, and there are many enemies. He thought he deserved the medal before he skated. You could see his disappointment 1 sec after he finished and before the scores were shown.

    Athletes should look at their score sheets and see what went wrong before blaming the judges. If they find something wrong with the score they have a right to petition the panel. Don't go petition to the media when there is nothing there!
    Last edited by gfskater; 02-20-2010 at 06:43 AM.

  11. #11
    Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    392
    I think there is no chance of Russia taking the gold.

    This has to go to Canada and will go to Canada and the judges will make sure it goes to Canada.

    Overall, it won't affect these Olympics but it most certainly will affect the following competitions and you can bet that four years from now the North Americans, rightfully so, don't have to hope for much. Hey it's how the game is played.

    Oh yes and by the way, ^^^^, stop trying to make Plushenko into some sort of monster. Dear lord, you are all insane. Enemies - he means opponents - his English sucks which is painfully obvious. Yes, yes, the big ebil Russian ... we know, we know....

  12. #12
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Alatariel View Post
    Oh yes and by the way, ^^^^, stop trying to make Plushenko into some sort of monster. Dear lord, you are all insane. Enemies - he means opponents - his English sucks which is painfully obvious. Yes, yes, the big ebil Russian ... we know, we know....
    I agree Plushy is probably a good guy.
    But his own actions have brought some of the bad feelings and if he continues to whine like a spoiled brat the bad feeling against him will continue.

    Evan must feel like he beat a 12 year old the way Plushy is talking. Maybe because the Russians are having their worst Olympics ever there was big pressure on Plushy to win the Gold. Maybe that is why he can't accept that under CoP Evan outskated him.
    I even wonder if Mishin and the choreo guy get it or even understand CoP very well?

    Four years from now is a long time away. For now Evan is GP champion, World champion and Olympic Champion. Has anyone ever held all three title at the same time before?

    This is the era of King Evan and the class he has shown since becoming King of The Ice will be good for skating.
    Last edited by janetfan; 02-20-2010 at 07:57 AM.

  13. #13
    Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Four years from now is a long time away. For now Evan is GP champion, World champion and Olympic Champion. Has anyone ever held all three title at the same time before?

    This is the era of King Evan and the class he has shown since becoming King of The Ice will be good for skating.
    In the mind of the US yes, it's probably King Evan. Not so much in the mind of the rest of the world. I am still to hear a complimentary thing about his win. Unfair to him if you ask me, as he himself is not at fault. I call him a mediocre drone for that is what he is to me, but I don't dispute his level of skating, such as it is - far from perfect, far from being the all round skater - but nobody is at the moment as I see it.

    In regards to the good for the skating bit -

    In fact, he's guilty or rather I am of skating losing a potential fan. I finally, finally got one of my close friends to watch skating. I figured the men's a safe bet with that field. What a mistake to make as the old 'Allo 'Allo series would go. She went through the roof, her hubby was even worse and both vowed never to watch again, any of the events. They kept ranting on how they were right, and skating is corrupt and on and on. I pretty much cringed. Their fav of the night was Dai by the way but in the end they were just disgusted with Evan as champion. They kept repeating - that? That won? He has no passion, no jumps, no nothing! They thought the whole thing was rigged and decided they were right in the first place not to bother.

    The point is - he will be good for skating - no, he won't. Skating already is not a hugely popular sport. The whole judging bit has already made it shady. A champion who is mediocre in everything, with no charisma at all will be anything but good. I keep seeing one thing over and over - Evan Lysacek skated clean on the night, .... then comes the clincher - but he seems like the most underwhelming Olympic champion in recent history. And he is. Horrible for skating in the terms of attracting fans who are not from the US. And how long will those US fans stay ah? A year? That would be a success.

    The rules need to change and they need to change fast or well, I don't predict a particularly bright future for figure skating.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Alatariel View Post
    I think there is no chance of Russia taking the gold.

    This has to go to Canada and will go to Canada and the judges will make sure it goes to Canada.

    Overall, it won't affect these Olympics but it most certainly will affect the following competitions and you can bet that four years from now the North Americans, rightfully so, don't have to hope for much. Hey it's how the game is played.

    Oh yes and by the way, ^^^^, stop trying to make Plushenko into some sort of monster. Dear lord, you are all insane. Enemies - he means opponents - his English sucks which is painfully obvious. Yes, yes, the big ebil Russian ... we know, we know....
    Just so I understand clearly, you think it's right that in four years from now the North Americans won't do well because of their success here? And you think that's right?

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    378
    that's so true about the language thing. i have some russian friends, and their english is more formal. i think by enemies evgeny meant opponents. and i don't think his english is bad. it's way better than my russian!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •