Will Evan's Win and Russia's Fury Hurt the Other Events? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Will Evan's Win and Russia's Fury Hurt the Other Events?

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Does anybody know where I can find a video of what happened on the medal stand? NBC's video of the medal ceremony starts after all medalists are on the podium.

kyla2

Final Flight
Bottom line, Evan won with a superior skate and Plushenko lost. Too bad, so sad. The Russians need to get over it, and Alatariel, so do you with all your language skills.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Thanks/merci/spaciba/danke/shukran Alatariel!

Alatariel, as a translator, a fellow Snape fan, and an American, albeit a globally oriented one who has been loath to root for American skaters qua American skaters in large part out of sheer irritation with our Cold Warmonger, jingoistic commentators, I have reluctantly come out of lurking to thank you for sharing some language-related expertise that, inexplicable petty dig against said expertise notwithstanding, did add to the discussion by dispelling the misunderstanding of Plushenko's characterization of opponents as 'enemies'. For the record, I do root for individual American skaters in this INDIVIDUAL sport only if I appreciate them as skaters. My horse in this race was Jeremy Abbott, whose musicality, exquisite choreography and interpretation, and jumping ability as exhibited at US Nationals led me to believe that he was the most deserving of Olympic gold overall. I'd have been pleased with Dai as well, and like many, was underwhelmed by the top two. I fully agree with ademption's irritated assessment of Scott and co.'s assumption that Evan was the best-trained athlete and therefore the most deserving of the OGM, to be bogus, given that he can hardly claim to have observed every other skater's training regimen. Evan and Frank worked the system intelligently, and as another poster noted, praise of that particular gambit, along with a little more measured assessment of Evan's admittedly laudable work ethic, would have irritated me less, for what it's worth. I can understand that North American athletes and commentators of Scott and Sandra's generation are already so steeped in a Cold War approach to competitions such as these that they can't help but react gleefully, as conditioned to do over so many decades of propaganda wars, to a victory for 'us', and the resulting (in their view) vindication of 'our way of life'. Never mind that no nation, let alone one as diverse and fragmented as this one, is anywhere near as monolithic or unified as jingoistic statements would imply. But I digress, and in so doing have covered my posting for the week, preferring as I do to lurk; just had to chime in in support of your explanations of the perspectives of non-native English speakers, and the broader insight on other cultures that should be welcomed in a multinational fray like this one. :)

sarahmistral

Last edited:

Kinga

Medalist
I just cannot wait when all the discussions about Plushenko being robbed are over.... I cannot wait for Dance event to speed up, so we can all move on (lets hope there won't be any controversies again). I am so tired of all this. People like Stojko rise controversies, where there are none.
Somehow I knew that Plushenko's come back will cause troubles...

Pairs competition was so lovely... No controversies, everyone pretty much agreed on results.. I wish it was always like that.

Last edited:

gracefulswan

On the Ice
I'm a bit surprised, yea... I was shocked that Plushenko did a 4/3 but that Lysacek's hardest combo was a 3 axel/2 toe? he didn't even do a 3 axel/3 toe? For some reason this strikes me as bizarre...but then again, Plush should have ditched the quad combo and just done triples. i'm sure he would have had lots of peace of mind and could have focused on backloading more....or upping a footwork or spin level. Let's face it! It's NOT worth it to do quads or quad combos anymore. Just follow the rules and don't insist on your own. THAT was Mishin's and Plushenko's problem. They didn't adapt well and got what they deserved. Be happy that you even medaled a third time is what I say....

gfskater

On the Ice
Does anybody know where I can find a video of what happened on the medal stand? NBC's video of the medal ceremony starts after all medalists are on the podium.

There is only the still in this video that I could find. He said, in his mind he won Gold so he stepped there by mistake. That is if the translator is not lying. I wonder if a translator at the United Nations could start a world war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHjvG-nEEfo

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am wondering if Evan's win cost Mirai a medal? Her PCS were kept down very low considering how well she sold that performance and her great skating skills. Joannie did not skate will much emotion and looked tired in comparison. Was the US being reminded that well-trained Californian's can't always win?