Ice Dance's OD - Sunday 21st 7:15pm EST | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance's OD - Sunday 21st 7:15pm EST

Diva

On the Ice
I just saw the scores and came here to see if Virtue and Moir were given extra home ice points, but judging from the reactions of everyone here, I guess they skated one heck of a program tonight!
Congratulations to them!

Normally I would root for one of the Americans, but given how things have transpired for Canada in these games overall.... I wish Virtue and Moir the best.
(They even lost a freaking hockey game to USA tonight!!!)

My Prediction
1) V/M
2) D/W
3) B/A
(North America Sweep!)

Will enjoy the OD on tape delay later tonight stress-free.

Maybe I would have had D&W and V&M a little closer because I like Meryl & Charlies OD more but I think today Tessa and Scott were better :)

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
I'm also intrigued as to why it's so offensive that Dom/Shab have done an OD inspired by Aboriginal folk (notice it doesn't say Australian folk and they say they took inspiration from a number of Aboriginal cultures) and yet there is no offense when the Americans choose to be influenced by Bollywood and the Indian dance tradition which isn't their own?

This is a serious question by the way. Are people reacting to the fact the Australian Aboriginal culture were offended and, if they hadn't, would anyone else have said anything at all other than it was a bizarre choice for a style of dance in the first place?

The point of the OD this season is to take a dance that is native to some country (or country music), and skate and interpret it. Originally DomShab said it was based on Australian aboriginal music. When it was clear no one liked it, and they hadn't done any research with the Australian aboriginal community to create the OD, they said it was based on a bunch of original cultures. Not the assignment. And so many of the hand movements and positions are just really bad, politically incorrect stereotypes of native cultures. It's laziness, in my opinion, and they did not expect the kind of backlash they received, and have been back-peddling ever since. Davis/White on the other hand, did a TON of research. There was a whole piece about them at the US Nationals how and who they consulted in the Indian community to make sure the dance is as authentic as possible. It was very well received in the Indian community, and was the #1 watched YouTube right after US Nats.

figuristka

Medalist
V/M were amazing. They were on fire. I felt nervous for them but they completely looked comfortable and confident out there. They make me love ice dance even more.

yangjie

On the Ice
i was really excited at watching V/M.

and for me , this was the first time to see D/S performance, but ,,,,,,,,i dont like it.

Cadiva

On the Ice
B&A are being let down by their choice of music in the OD and their choreography. Robin Cousins commented that they were capable of much better interpretations and performances and he felt they lacked drive during the straight line step sequence and Ben was slightly out of time on the twizzles.

At the end of the day - taking away the technical marks - whether someone likes a program or not is completely personal and down to individual taste, no-one is right or wrong, it's just opinion on style and taste. I loved both the Bollywood inspired and the Flamenco interpretations even though the music for Moir and Virtue was really grating on my nerves. The fact that they performed their routine exceptionally took me over the fact I disliked the music intensely and that is completely down to their skill.
Same with the Russians, appreciate their skill and the technicalities of their dance, does absolutely nothing for me and I think it actually fails to show off the undoubted talent they actually have, same with Fab/Nat - by the time they danced the American Country Folk theme was becoming a bit old hat (admittedly not their fault but seeing a third interpretation of what's a limited theme to start off with really was getting a bit dry).

As for Iso and Oli, such a huge shame they couldn't have performed their CanCan routine more but I'm sorry to say that it failed to evoke the heady atmosphere of the girls of the Moulin Rouge because it simply wasn't fast enough. Anyone whose actually see the CanCan being performed in France would be able to agree with that, it's a hideously fast dance.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Oh boy, I just realized that coaching situation.
What bragging rights for V/M and D/W's coaches.

jcoates

Medalist
Anyone who thinks this isn't a sport should watch V/M and D/W back-to-back. I'm so happy right now - they laid it down and were rewarded for it. So happy.

This is why I watch figure skating. Screw the controversies. Dump the cold war rhetoric, the "wasrobbed" cries, the fanbots, the judges, the media.... This was athletic skating full of artistry at it's finest. Just joyous, intense skating. The fact that it was rewarded.... oh, I'm in love right now.

I can't wait until tomorrow.

Agreed. Well said. :agree:

Cadiva

On the Ice
The point of the OD this season is to take a dance that is native to some country (or country music), and skate and interpret it. Originally DomShab said it was based on Australian aboriginal music. When it was clear no one liked it, and they hadn't done any research with the Australian aboriginal community to create the OD, they said it was based on a bunch of original cultures. Not the assignment. And so many of the hand movements and positions are just really bad, politically incorrect stereotypes of native cultures. It's laziness, in my opinion, and they did not expect the kind of backlash they received, and have been back-peddling ever since. Davis/White on the other hand, did a TON of research. There was a whole piece about them at the US Nationals how and who they consulted in the Indian community to make sure the dance is as authentic as possible. It was very well received in the Indian community, and was the #1 watched YouTube right after US Nats.

I'm not disagreeing that people do find it offensive, it does nothing for me at all and I don't think it particularly evokes any kind of Aboriginal culture, my question was simply was the hoo-ha caused by the Australian interior minister justified in the context of other skaters choosing to represent cultures which also weren't their own and was it just the fact that there'd been an international stink kicked up about it which caused the questioning of their routine's origin - ie if no-one had said anything, would people be making the same comments and judgements they are now or are they (for lack of a better phrase) jumping on the bandwagon?

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
As for Iso and Oli, such a huge shame they couldn't have performed their CanCan routine more but I'm sorry to say that it failed to evoke the heady atmosphere of the girls of the Moulin Rouge because it simply wasn't fast enough. Anyone whose actually see the CanCan being performed in France would be able to agree with that, it's a hideously fast dance.

I thought they used a different version of Cancan, not the Moulin Rouge dance, but a dance French country folks used to dance.

aurora100

Final Flight

Exactly. It's not that D/S chose to skate to australian aboriginal folk dance, it's just that they botched it so badly and the costume that puts the dance in such an undignified manner. Many ice dancers have used traditional music from all countries as a FD. I am so surprised that Linichuk could have allowed this kind of dance and costume to come anywhere near her work. I've always thought she was a woman of class and knowledge of ice dance. She is such a regal person, how has something like come into her mind? It blows my mind. And B/S's vehicle was not the best either.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Oh my gosh! I am SO happy that this system is finally working. V/M were almost perfect technically, and their expression was bang on. I was honestly a little worried about them after what happened today with Joannie, especially since she was Tessa's roommate, but it was obvious that they didn't let that or the pressure get to them. I really hope they skate lights out tommorrow. They deserve this gold medal. I'm also SO happy for D/W. I have considered these two to be the best two teams in the world for a few years now, but this is the first time that the judging has agreed with me. D/W aren't going to let V/M win this without a fight, and I think we may just be witnessing one of the best figure skating rivalries ever with this dance competition. If these two teams aren't the top two after tomorrow night, I'll be shocked. As for D/S, I was shocked and a little offended by their OD. Not only was it pretty bad, but it seemed really imappropriate, too. I'm honestly upset that they are still ahead of B/A, who I think skated really well tonight. I'm rooting for a North American sweep of the podium tomorrow, so I really hope that B/A take their rightful places ahead of D/S. Good luck to all three teams!

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
B/A is being affected by poor coaching and poor choreography not the D/S' hot mess. D/S is being affected by poor coaching and poor choreography too. Both teams have not been given the right vehicles. They are both better skaters than what Linichuk gave them for this Olympic year.
You're right. Linichuk was able to create some really good programmes for Denkova/Staviski when they were competing, so it's pretty disappointing that she hasn't been able to give her two teams here better programmes. The aboriginal dance doesn't suit D/S. They have the nicest and longest lines in the competition. Now why didn't she choose something that would emphasize that in the OD? I think B/A's programme suits them, but it could really do with more choreographic detail.

lcd

Match Penalty
The top two have brought the sport and CoP full circle. The teams that brought it in every dimension were rewarded. That said, seems clear it would take something seismic to shake D/S off the podium. And aren't F/S nicely positioned to be standing on the podium when worlds go to Torino.

Cadiva

On the Ice
I thought they used a different version of Cancan, not the Moulin Rouge dance, but a dance French country folks used to dance.

They used music from the traditional Moulin Rouge style of the dance and from the piece of music entitled CanCan itself, plus Iso's costume looked like a typical showgirl style costume to me. I haven't heard of a different version of the CanCan but it's possible.

The CanCan as we know it today certainly was birthed in Montparnasse and Offenbach's music (from Orpheus in the Underworld) is the piece of music most commonly associated with it (which they used).

I think their program would be brilliant if they'd had more time to get it up to speed.

Last edited:

Justafan

On the Ice
B&A are being let down by their choice of music in the OD and their choreography. Robin Cousins commented that they were capable of much better interpretations and performances and he felt they lacked drive during the straight line step sequence and Ben was slightly out of time on the twizzles.

At the end of the day - taking away the technical marks - whether someone likes a program or not is completely personal and down to individual taste, no-one is right or wrong, it's just opinion on style and taste. I loved both the Bollywood inspired and the Flamenco interpretations even though the music for Moir and Virtue was really grating on my nerves. The fact that they performed their routine exceptionally took me over the fact I disliked the music intensely and that is completely down to their skill.
Same with the Russians, appreciate their skill and the technicalities of their dance, does absolutely nothing for me and I think it actually fails to show off the undoubted talent they actually have, same with Fab/Nat - by the time they danced the American Country Folk theme was becoming a bit old hat (admittedly not their fault but seeing a third interpretation of what's a limited theme to start off with really was getting a bit dry).

I agree on B/A's music...it is awful. It doesn't really have a folk flavor to me because there is so much horn music in it. (At least I think it's horns). I was thinking if it sounded more like a Russian folk song with Belalaikas(sp?) or something it would sound better. Who the heck chose that music?