3 BelbinAgosto 30.10
4 PechalatBourzat 29.90
5 DomninaShabalin 29.80
6 FaiellaScali 28.60
7 SamuelsonBates 28.60
8 ReedReed 27.70
9 DelobelSchoenfelder 27.40
10 KerrKerr 27.30

Ouch for Delschoes, they were killed on the levels. 2 for everything. Ouch for KhokNovitski too. So great to see the Reeds here, they outdid themselves.. DomShabs were gifted .

Top Ten Teams in PCS :

1 VirtueMoir 35.51
2 DavisWhite 34.48
3 DomninaShabalin 33.04
4 BelbinAgosto 32.40
5 DelobelSchoenfelder 32.28
6 FaiellaScali 31.58
7 PechalatBourzat 30.09
8 KhokhlovaNovitski 29.47
9 KerrKerr 29.46
10 ZaretskiZaretski 27.94

DomShabs shoul be below the Kerrs. Faeilla Scali should be actually third IMO. Their program is not half as exciting or difficult as the top 2 teams but by far the most authentic and they had the best interpretation of what a folk dance should be.

Top Ten Teams in GOE:

VirtueMoir 7.20
DavisWhite 6.10
DelobelSchoenfelder 5.00
BelbinAgosto 4.40
PechalatBourzat 4.20
DomninaShabalin 4.10
FaiellaScali 3.40
KhokhlovaNovitski 3.00
SamuelsonBates 2.90
ZaretskiZaretski 2.60

I feel bad picking on DomShabs again and again since they so deserved first place in the CD but this time they were just weak. 4 points in GOE is beyond me. The Zaretskis were far from outstanding intheir elements too.

ARipp42014

Medalist
When will the draw for the FD take place?

I dunno Miki but will find out shortly!

Final thoughts before moving over to FD: Wow what a great night of dancing. Just when I thought there will be massive "politiking" going on and with the many Eastern Euro judges, the NA teams are now in striking distance to win gold. Voir was easily the best of the night. Say all you like about getting a hometown bonus but those scores were well deserved. Not only they were technically great, but you can see the passion in their dance. Merlie also skated the best I've seen this season and deserved to be ahead of DomShabs. As for Tan & Ben, I kinda wished they never left left Team Shpilband. Sorry but I just don't get their OD this season. And don't get me started with their FD.

I'm also glad Rica & Massi, Nat & Fab, SamBates, and Shanay-Nay & Johnny (minus Johnny's mistake on the twizzle) skated well. Isa & Oli skated well too but I wished they had a warm-up like Euros to polish up their OD. And finally DomShabs... the only thing I liked about the whole OD was the eskimo kiss in the end. Thought they were overmarked.

Overall, :clap: to the judges for once again being fair. Let tomorrow be one for the ages. GO TEAM SHPILBAND!!!

jcoates

Medalist
I'm not disagreeing that people do find it offensive, it does nothing for me at all and I don't think it particularly evokes any kind of Aboriginal culture, my question was simply was the hoo-ha caused by the Australian interior minister justified in the context of other skaters choosing to represent cultures which also weren't their own and was it just the fact that there'd been an international stink kicked up about it which caused the questioning of their routine's origin - ie if no-one had said anything, would people be making the same comments and judgements they are now or are they (for lack of a better phrase) jumping on the bandwagon?

The reaction occurred simultaneously around the world thanks to the first outing at Russian nats being posted on youtube. Skating boards, blogs, newspapers and news websites all commented on it between Christmas and New Years. Australian ice dancers who used an Aboriginal theme in 2008 reacted negatively as well b/c they had taken the time to do extensive research for their own program. By the time Euros came around a month later, big time news and sports reports about it were everywhere. This was around the same time Aborginal leaders started commenting on it publicly.

The response from Linichuk began at that time and only led to more questions. So, it's an issue that never went away.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I checked it with wiki:

The cancan first appeared in the working-class ballrooms of Montparnasse in Paris in around 1830. It was a more lively version of the galop, a dance in quick 2/4 time, which often featured as the final figure in the quadrille. The cancan was, therefore, originally a dance for couples, who indulged in high kicks and other gestures with arms and legs.

In dance, the galop, named after the fastest running gait of a horse, a shortened version of the original term galoppade, is a lively country dance

aurora100

Final Flight
You're right. Linichuk was able to create some really good programmes for Denkova/Staviski when they were competing, so it's pretty disappointing that she hasn't been able to give her two teams here better programmes. The aboriginal dance doesn't suit D/S. They have the nicest and longest lines in the competition. Now why didn't she choose something that would emphasize that in the OD? I think B/A's programme suits them, but it could really do with more choreographic detail.

Exactly, and it showed it their CD. A beautiful Vienese (sp?) waltz or a ball room dance that was sweeping and regal would have made them totally stand out and show off their beautiful statuesque (tracy's words from) figures. Just thinking off top of my head.

For B/A, Moldavian dance they did is, what juniors Russian skaters do as their exhibition numbers before they become seasoned and sophisticated champions B/A are. B/A did it better than any juniors but they couldn't carry it over the top no matter how well they skated it.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I agree on B/A's music...it is awful. It doesn't really have a folk flavor to me because there is so much horn music in it. (At least I think it's horns). I was thinking if it sounded more like a Russian folk song with Belalaikas(sp?) or something it would sound better. Who the heck chose that music?
It's always a pleasure to get a lesson in culture from an American tourist.

rain

Record Breaker
I could not be more thrilled right now. V/M and D/W had fantastic performances (best OD all season for both teams, IMO). V/M expressed so much passion the dance was totally thrilling. These were obviously the top two dances of the night and were rightly scored 1-2.

Which brings me to the next two teams...announcer Rod Black was his usual annoying and inciting self, but I agree with him on one point — D/S's costumes were over-the-top. I found them distracting, they actually detracted from the skating. I can't say I was terribly offended by the dance, I just didn't think it was all that interesting or good. I agree with the posters who have said B/A were terribly let down by their choreography. This team is capable of much more than that unmemorable program. Nevertheless, I thought B/A should have beat D/S in this portion of the competition.

Delobel and Schoenfelder just look undertrained. It looks like it's their first competition of the season.

Cadiva

On the Ice
Start list for the Free Dance on the BBC here http://winterolympics.external.bbc....es/event=FSX030000/phase=FSX030101/index.html

HAJKOVA Kamila
VINCOUR David

SHTORK Irina
RAND Taavi

COOMES Penny
BUCKLAND Nicholas

REED Allison
JAPARIDZE Otar

REED Cathy
REED Chris

BEIER Christina
BEIER William

CRONE Vanessa
POIRIER Paul

HUANG Xintong
ZHENG Xun

CAPPELLINI Anna
LANOTTE Luca

ZADOROZHNIUK Anna
VERBILLO Sergei

HOFFMANN Nora
ZAVOZIN Maxim

BOBROVA Ekaterina
SOLOVIEV Dmitri

SAMUELSON Emily
BATES Evan

ISR
ZARETSKY Alexandra
ZARETSKY Roman

KERR Sinead
KERR John

PECHALAT Nathalie
BOURZAT Fabian

DELOBEL Isabelle
SCHOENFELDER Olivier

KHOKHLOVA Jana
NOVITSKI Sergei

DAVIS Meryl
WHITE Charlie

FAIELLA Federica
SCALI Massimo

VIRTUE Tessa
MOIR Scott

BELBIN Tanith
AGOSTO Benjamin

DOMNINA Oksana
SHABALIN Maxim

Cadiva

On the Ice
The reaction occurred simultaneously around the world thanks to the first outing at Russian nats being posted on youtube. Skating boards, blogs, newspapers and news websites all commented on it between Christmas and New Years. Australian ice dancers who used an Aboriginal theme in 2008 reacted negatively as well b/c they had taken the time to do extensive research for their own program. By the time Euros came around a month later, big time news and sports reports about it were everywhere. This was around the same time Aborginal leaders started commenting on it publicly.

The response from Linichuk began at that time and only led to more questions. So, it's an issue that never went away.

Yes, but it was still, as far as I understand it, the Australian minister who made the complaint which brought it to international attention. By the way, I'm not arguing in favour of their dance, I don't like it, I think it does them absolutely no favours whatsoever and completely fails to demonstrate their beautiful extension and leg lines and graceful elegance. I'm just wondering what people would be saying if they watched it NOT knowing anything about the complaints proceeding it. Personally I still don't think it would be liked as it's not, actually, a particularly easy to watch or pleasing to watch routine, it's very jerky and doesn't flow particularly well.

@Hsuhs - yes there are origins in the Galop but the version of the CanCan most associated with the Moulin Rouge and the showgirl style danced by I&O isn't the same dance. The Galop was originally danced with four people in a quadradrille (spl)

RUKen

Rinkside
I agree on B/A's music...it is awful. It doesn't really have a folk flavor to me because there is so much horn music in it. (At least I think it's horns). I was thinking if it sounded more like a Russian folk song with Belalaikas(sp?) or something it would sound better. Who the heck chose that music?

It doesn't sound like a Russian folk song because it's not Russian. Moldavian music is more akin to Rumanian music. In fact, some of the music in B&A's OD may be heard in one of Enesco's Rumanian Rhapsodies. The folk music base of B&A's program is easily identifiable to someone who is familiar with Eastern European traditional music.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Exactly, and it showed it their CD. A beautiful Vienese (sp?) waltz or a ball room dance that was sweeping and regal would have made them totally stand out and show off their beautiful statuesque (tracy's words from) figures. Just thinking off top of my head.

For B/A, Moldavian dance they did is, what juniors Russian skaters do as their exhibition numbers before they become seasoned and sophisticated champions B/A are. B/A did it better than any juniors but they couldn't carry it over the top no matter how well they skated it.

aurora, I don't know if he's capable of doing the kind of knee bends a sweeping/regal dance requires. I think Linichuk knew what she was doing when choreographing these dances. The belts in the FD, the crazy costumes - it's to hide their definicies. It's no crime, but because his knees are going downhill, they don't have much to work with. It's a shame, when you think about it. I watched their GPF FD from 07/08 (the won they won) and thought it was very powerful. They've got such massive presence on the ice, and their unison and leg lines were unmatched. The operative word being "were" - unfortunately.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really felt Meryl & Charlie and Tessa & Scott could have gone either way last night in the OD. They were both so wonderful and enjoyable! I hope they finish as 1 & 2, either way. I love both teams! :love::bow:

Lightbulb

Rinkside
oooh, seems like everyone wasn't able to go into the forum. but it's back so thank you to those in charge of maintaining / fixing this site.

anyway, d/w's od has been my favorite the entire season and they really skated it best here in the olympics. but v/m were on fire! comparing these two teams to dom/shabs and b/a made me conclude that marina zoueva is a genious choreographer. i just don't understand linichuk's choreography. i agree with what was said during the bbc coverage (i think it's still robin cousins). the teams are way better than what was presented in their od.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I am predicting a North Ameriacan sweep of the podium!!!! Go Tessa and Scott!

If the way they skated was the determining factor you would be right. It looks like it was decided last night and D/S will medal and B/A will not.

I loved V/M last night and maybe it is just my taste but I would have placed them 1st and D/W 2nd.

As to D/S - it wasn't as bad as I had heard but it looked to be the least difficult program.
B/A always had a certain spark that has been lost by trying to present them as a Russo/E. Euro team.

I always liked them because they were a little different and sassy. Their costumes made Ben look like a circus clown and why a girl as pretty as Tannith was dressed that way feels strange.

Too bad they will finish fourth since they have the skills to medal if only presented better. Pooor choices in an Olympic season.

nghtvsn

Rinkside
I'm not very familiar with the technical elements and scoring of ice dancing and that left me quite confused when the Canadian team was on top by what seemed to be a big amount.

I didn't even think their performance was as interesting, quick or appealing as the american team that did the indian dance, so when they blew past their score I was kind of shocked.

The russian team's dance seemed too cartoony with their exaggerated expressions. I didn't connect with me. Then belbin and agosto had that moldova dance which I felt was flat as well. The music did nothing for me and the costumes were a bit overpowering.

I'm still annoyed at the canadian team's overall score since it's 11 points better than 5th place. Is it possible for a team to overcome a 7-11 point deficit going into the free skate?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Possible? Yes. Plausible? No. For what it's worth, a 1.33 difference in the OD isn't a huge amount, nor is 2.60 overall. But V/M's weakness this season (and in general) was the OD - their FD is pretty much a masterpiece. Even when they lost to D/W at the GPF, they won this dance. B/A would be lucky to podium and would have to rely on a fall from D/S, imo.