Ice Dance's OD - Sunday 21st 7:15pm EST | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance's OD - Sunday 21st 7:15pm EST

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Woww majorr booing for the baby british marks, they are limited technically, but that was a very in theme program and totally got the audience in.. good for them..

Alatariel

On the Ice
Can't wait to see DomShabs costumes! :laugh:

And dear lord, how utterly ugly - the green ... things ... from Jana and Sergei!

Cadiva

On the Ice
Standing so far:

* SAMUELSON Emily
* BATES Evan

* CAPPELLINI Anna
* LANOTTE Luca

* ZADOROZHNIUK Anna
* VERBILLO Sergei

* HOFFMANN Nora
* ZAVOZIN Maxim

* BOBROVA Ekaterina
* SOLOVIEV Dmitri

* REED Cathy
* REED Chris

* CRONE Vanessa
* POIRIER Paul

* BEIER Christina
* BEIER William

* HUANG Xintong
* ZHENG Xun

* COOMES Penny
* BUCKLAND Nicholas

* REED Allison
* JAPARIDZE Otar

* HAJKOVA Kamila
* VINCOUR David

* SHTORK Irina
* RAND Taavi

formersk8ter

On the Ice
I'm a former skater myself (hence my screen name), but I have to ask--what exactly is the point of the original dance? Just seems like another version of free dance to me. Why not just compulsory dance and the free program?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Did DomShab changed the costume??I see the same, unless some branches of tree are left out.

jcoates

Medalist
I'm a former skater myself (hence my screen name), but I have to ask--what exactly is the point of the original dance? Just seems like another version of free dance to me. Why not just compulsory dance and the free program?

The same reason the SP exists...television. There was such an outcry after the 72 games when most viewers did not see the compulsories, that the ISU added the SP for singles, which already existed in a raw form for pairs. The OSP (later the OD) was added for ice dance for similar reasons. Breaks up the monotony of hearing the same music and seeing the same moves or steps and adds one more interesting program to watch. Of course there were far less winter sports on the program back then, so they needed to fill the space some way.

Of course all the rules, plus required elements for the FS/FD make them more similar than ever. They used to me far more distinct. OSP (original set pattern) was a cross between a CD and an OD. A set pattern of steps of the skater's choosing to a prescribed musical/dance theme.

Two of the best below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaJtKHeis_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZAGB2WgEqU

Last edited:

Face2Mac

On the Ice
That's some balls to not change the costumes with all the outrage. the Russian federation must've spent a lot of money on them.