Ice Dance's OD - Sunday 21st 7:15pm EST | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance's OD - Sunday 21st 7:15pm EST

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Sorry for intruding, I'm Italian so maybe I can shed some light. The first part of the music, called "Tammurriata Nera" is a song written in 1944 by E. A. Mario and Eduardo Nicolardi, and it's about a woman giving birth to a black child (the "Nera" part) concieved with an American soldier, and overcoming prejudice with the strenght of her maternal love. It's all sung by a sort of ironic greek chorus. Faiella and Scali tell a different story, though, where he tries his best to seduce her but she keeps rejecting him.
The ribbons are actually "castagnole", castanets, traditonal "props" in Italian folk dancing.
Sorry for the longwinded history lesson.

Thank you, I appreciate the information you have given, but please explain, because I really do not understand: why is an American song, "Pistol Packin' Mama, Lay That Pistol Down" in the middle of their programme? I noticed it in Euros, and I listened carefully this time, and there it was again, even to the vocal using the actual words, "Pistol Packin' Mama" . How does that get into a portrayal of Italian folk dance? By the way, I really enjoy their performance, I just honestly do not understand the American pop music in the middle.

kyla2

Final Flight
The Aboriginal dance wasn't much of a dance. More like a drumbeat kind of thing. Didn't love it at all. Hope V and M do well and the U.S. skaters. The Italians did well, but hated the music. The French, not so much. Too slow for the music.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
It's over. If the judges are willing to lavish scores on that awkward and painfully slow performance, they're going to prop DomShabs up no matter what. Well, I guess the Shpilband teams can battle it out for silver and bronze.

mhu714

On the Ice
I thought they were overscored, though it could be that they will push up the scores of the ones to come too. We'll see. If they do, I won't care.

Agree w/you as well Alatariel. Let's see what the other top teams get. If Dom/Sha are still in 1st, or even in the top 3, something is wrong. I absolutely hated them, but what do I know? But, Tracy W. usually calls it like it is and if she said several of their moves were easy and undeserving of top scores, that's good enough for me.

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
All I'm gonna say about the Russians is that if you skate with those kind of costumes on, you better have some seriously awesome moves to back it up. They didn't.
Hope we see better tonight.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
It's over. If the judges are willing to lavish scores on that awkward and painfully slow performance, they're going to prop DomShabs up no matter what. Well, I guess the Shpilband teams can battle it out for silver and bronze.

LOL...are you kidding? D/W have a SB of 65 and the scores are high tonight. Calm down! You haven't even seen the rest of the teams yet.

BigJohn

On the Ice
All I'm gonna say about the Russians is that if you skate with those kind of costumes on, you better have some seriously awesome moves to back it up. They didn't.
Hope we see better tonight.

We've already seen better but not a better score.

caelicola

Spectator
Thank you, I appreciate the information you have given, but please explain, because I really do not understand: why is an American song, "Pistol Packin' Mama, Lay That Pistol Down" in the middle of their programme? I noticed it in Euros, and I listened carefully this time, and there it was again, even to the vocal using the actual words, "Pistol Packin' Mama" . How does that get into a portrayal of Italian folk dance? By the way, I really enjoy their performance, I just honestly do not understand the American pop music in the middle.

I think what you hear is actually "cu chisti pacch’nmane", that means sort of "with this package in your hand" in napoletano (the dialect spoken in Neaples).
It does sound similar, actually almost the same, but it doesn't reference the American song, just a funny bit of omophony.

ARipp42014

Medalist
With 5 to go....
1) DomShabs 106.60
2) Rica & Massi 100.06
3) Isa & Oli 96.67
4) Kerrs-squared 93.78
5) Flexy & Trippy (aka K/N) 92.75

Rica & Massi lost about 2 points on DomShabs. Bummer but will still be in the Top 5.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

It feels exactly like that now and my god that's depressing.