Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance's OD - Sunday 21st 7:15pm EST

Lambiel is the best!!
    I just saw the scores and came here to see if Virtue and Moir were given extra home ice points, but judging from the reactions of everyone here, I guess they skated one heck of a program tonight!
    Congratulations to them!

Normally I would root for one of the Americans, but given how things have transpired for Canada in these games overall.... I wish Virtue and Moir the best.
    (They even lost a freaking hockey game to USA tonight!!!)

My Prediction
    1) V/M
    2) D/W
    3) B/A
    (North America Sweep!)

Will enjoy the OD on tape delay later tonight stress-free.

Custom Title
    The top 2 are where they belong, but there's no way B&A should be in 4th after that perf by Dom/Sha. B&A may not be as good as Dom/Sha in some respects but I thought they were better tonight. the judges obviously did not.

Custom Title
    Anyone who thinks this isn't a sport should watch V/M and D/W back-to-back. I'm so happy right now - they laid it down and were rewarded for it. So happy.

This is why I watch figure skating. Screw the controversies. Dump the cold war rhetoric, the "wasrobbed" cries, the fanbots, the judges, the media.... This was athletic skating full of artistry at it's finest. Just joyous, intense skating. The fact that it was rewarded.... oh, I'm in love right now.

I can't wait until tomorrow.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    B/A is being affected by poor coaching and poor choreography not the D/S' hot mess. D/S is being affected by poor coaching and poor choreography too. Both teams have not been given the right vehicles. They are both better skaters than what Linichuk gave them for this Olympic year.
    Absolutely agree, with the right programs they both could match with V&M and D&W, they all have great technical abilities.

Loved V/M OD. They deserve first place. I really did not think that they could catch D/W but they rocked.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by *Sniper* View Post
    I just saw the scores and came here to see if Virtue and Moir were given extra home ice points, but judging from the reactions of everyone here, I guess they skated one heck of a program tonight!
    Congratulations to them!

Normally I would root for one of the Americans, but given how things have transpired for Canada in these games overall.... I wish Virtue and Moir the best.
    (They even lost a freaking hockey game to USA tonight!!!)

My Prediction
    1) V/M
    2) D/W
    3) B/A
    (North America Sweep!)

Will enjoy the OD on tape delay later tonight stress-free.
    Maybe I would have had D&W and V&M a little closer because I like Meryl & Charlies OD more but I think today Tessa and Scott were better

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadiva View Post
    I'm also intrigued as to why it's so offensive that Dom/Shab have done an OD inspired by Aboriginal folk (notice it doesn't say Australian folk and they say they took inspiration from a number of Aboriginal cultures) and yet there is no offense when the Americans choose to be influenced by Bollywood and the Indian dance tradition which isn't their own?

This is a serious question by the way. Are people reacting to the fact the Australian Aboriginal culture were offended and, if they hadn't, would anyone else have said anything at all other than it was a bizarre choice for a style of dance in the first place?
    The point of the OD this season is to take a dance that is native to some country (or country music), and skate and interpret it. Originally DomShab said it was based on Australian aboriginal music. When it was clear no one liked it, and they hadn't done any research with the Australian aboriginal community to create the OD, they said it was based on a bunch of original cultures. Not the assignment. And so many of the hand movements and positions are just really bad, politically incorrect stereotypes of native cultures. It's laziness, in my opinion, and they did not expect the kind of backlash they received, and have been back-peddling ever since. Davis/White on the other hand, did a TON of research. There was a whole piece about them at the US Nationals how and who they consulted in the Indian community to make sure the dance is as authentic as possible. It was very well received in the Indian community, and was the #1 watched YouTube right after US Nats.

V/M were amazing. They were on fire. I felt nervous for them but they completely looked comfortable and confident out there. They make me love ice dance even more.

Custom Title
    i was really excited at watching V/M.

and for me , this was the first time to see D/S performance, but ,,,,,,,,i dont like it.

Medalist
    I thought B/A should be in third. I hope they aren't shutting them out to prevent a NA sweep.

Away with the ice dancing faeries Cadiva's Avatar
    B&A are being let down by their choice of music in the OD and their choreography. Robin Cousins commented that they were capable of much better interpretations and performances and he felt they lacked drive during the straight line step sequence and Ben was slightly out of time on the twizzles.

At the end of the day - taking away the technical marks - whether someone likes a program or not is completely personal and down to individual taste, no-one is right or wrong, it's just opinion on style and taste. I loved both the Bollywood inspired and the Flamenco interpretations even though the music for Moir and Virtue was really grating on my nerves. The fact that they performed their routine exceptionally took me over the fact I disliked the music intensely and that is completely down to their skill.
    Same with the Russians, appreciate their skill and the technicalities of their dance, does absolutely nothing for me and I think it actually fails to show off the undoubted talent they actually have, same with Fab/Nat - by the time they danced the American Country Folk theme was becoming a bit old hat (admittedly not their fault but seeing a third interpretation of what's a limited theme to start off with really was getting a bit dry).

As for Iso and Oli, such a huge shame they couldn't have performed their CanCan routine more but I'm sorry to say that it failed to evoke the heady atmosphere of the girls of the Moulin Rouge because it simply wasn't fast enough. Anyone whose actually see the CanCan being performed in France would be able to agree with that, it's a hideously fast dance.

Lambiel is the best!!
    Oh boy, I just realized that coaching situation.
    What bragging rights for V/M and D/W's coaches.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Anyone who thinks this isn't a sport should watch V/M and D/W back-to-back. I'm so happy right now - they laid it down and were rewarded for it. So happy.

This is why I watch figure skating. Screw the controversies. Dump the cold war rhetoric, the "wasrobbed" cries, the fanbots, the judges, the media.... This was athletic skating full of artistry at it's finest. Just joyous, intense skating. The fact that it was rewarded.... oh, I'm in love right now.

I can't wait until tomorrow.
    Agreed. Well said.

When will the draw for the FD take place?

Lambiel is the best!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diva View Post
    Maybe I would have had D&W and V&M a little closer because I like Meryl & Charlies OD more but I think today Tessa and Scott were better
    I can't wait to watch it!
    Thank you NBC for the tape delay. Grr

Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast