Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance's OD - Sunday 21st 7:15pm EST

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mycelticblessing View Post
    You're right. Linichuk was able to create some really good programmes for Denkova/Staviski when they were competing, so it's pretty disappointing that she hasn't been able to give her two teams here better programmes. The aboriginal dance doesn't suit D/S. They have the nicest and longest lines in the competition. Now why didn't she choose something that would emphasize that in the OD? I think B/A's programme suits them, but it could really do with more choreographic detail.
    Exactly, and it showed it their CD. A beautiful Vienese (sp?) waltz or a ball room dance that was sweeping and regal would have made them totally stand out and show off their beautiful statuesque (tracy's words from) figures. Just thinking off top of my head.

For B/A, Moldavian dance they did is, what juniors Russian skaters do as their exhibition numbers before they become seasoned and sophisticated champions B/A are. B/A did it better than any juniors but they couldn't carry it over the top no matter how well they skated it.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by Justafan View Post
    I agree on B/A's music...it is awful. It doesn't really have a folk flavor to me because there is so much horn music in it. (At least I think it's horns). I was thinking if it sounded more like a Russian folk song with Belalaikas(sp?) or something it would sound better. Who the heck chose that music?
    It's always a pleasure to get a lesson in culture from an American tourist.

Custom Title

Custom Title
    I could not be more thrilled right now. V/M and D/W had fantastic performances (best OD all season for both teams, IMO). V/M expressed so much passion the dance was totally thrilling. These were obviously the top two dances of the night and were rightly scored 1-2.

Which brings me to the next two teams...announcer Rod Black was his usual annoying and inciting self, but I agree with him on one point — D/S's costumes were over-the-top. I found them distracting, they actually detracted from the skating. I can't say I was terribly offended by the dance, I just didn't think it was all that interesting or good. I agree with the posters who have said B/A were terribly let down by their choreography. This team is capable of much more than that unmemorable program. Nevertheless, I thought B/A should have beat D/S in this portion of the competition.

Delobel and Schoenfelder just look undertrained. It looks like it's their first competition of the season.

Away with the ice dancing faeries Cadiva's Avatar
    Start list for the Free Dance on the BBC here http://winterolympics.external.bbc.c...101/index.html

HAJKOVA Kamila
    VINCOUR David

SHTORK Irina
    RAND Taavi

COOMES Penny
    BUCKLAND Nicholas

REED Allison
    JAPARIDZE Otar

REED Cathy
    REED Chris

BEIER Christina
    BEIER William

CRONE Vanessa
    POIRIER Paul

HUANG Xintong
    ZHENG Xun

CAPPELLINI Anna
    LANOTTE Luca

ZADOROZHNIUK Anna
    VERBILLO Sergei

HOFFMANN Nora
    ZAVOZIN Maxim

BOBROVA Ekaterina
    SOLOVIEV Dmitri

SAMUELSON Emily
    BATES Evan

ISR
    ZARETSKY Alexandra
    ZARETSKY Roman

KERR Sinead
    KERR John

PECHALAT Nathalie
    BOURZAT Fabian

DELOBEL Isabelle
    SCHOENFELDER Olivier

KHOKHLOVA Jana
    NOVITSKI Sergei

DAVIS Meryl
    WHITE Charlie

FAIELLA Federica
    SCALI Massimo

VIRTUE Tessa
    MOIR Scott

BELBIN Tanith
    AGOSTO Benjamin

DOMNINA Oksana
    SHABALIN Maxim

Away with the ice dancing faeries Cadiva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    The reaction occurred simultaneously around the world thanks to the first outing at Russian nats being posted on youtube. Skating boards, blogs, newspapers and news websites all commented on it between Christmas and New Years. Australian ice dancers who used an Aboriginal theme in 2008 reacted negatively as well b/c they had taken the time to do extensive research for their own program. By the time Euros came around a month later, big time news and sports reports about it were everywhere. This was around the same time Aborginal leaders started commenting on it publicly.

The response from Linichuk began at that time and only led to more questions. So, it's an issue that never went away.
    Yes, but it was still, as far as I understand it, the Australian minister who made the complaint which brought it to international attention. By the way, I'm not arguing in favour of their dance, I don't like it, I think it does them absolutely no favours whatsoever and completely fails to demonstrate their beautiful extension and leg lines and graceful elegance. I'm just wondering what people would be saying if they watched it NOT knowing anything about the complaints proceeding it. Personally I still don't think it would be liked as it's not, actually, a particularly easy to watch or pleasing to watch routine, it's very jerky and doesn't flow particularly well.

@Hsuhs - yes there are origins in the Galop but the version of the CanCan most associated with the Moulin Rouge and the showgirl style danced by I&O isn't the same dance. The Galop was originally danced with four people in a quadradrille (spl)

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    They should bring back fours and have the top two Shpilband teams skate together.
    Except that fours was essentially a double-pairs event. Imagine Yao Bin's teams skating together...

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Justafan View Post
    I agree on B/A's music...it is awful. It doesn't really have a folk flavor to me because there is so much horn music in it. (At least I think it's horns). I was thinking if it sounded more like a Russian folk song with Belalaikas(sp?) or something it would sound better. Who the heck chose that music?
    It doesn't sound like a Russian folk song because it's not Russian. Moldavian music is more akin to Rumanian music. In fact, some of the music in B&A's OD may be heard in one of Enesco's Rumanian Rhapsodies. The folk music base of B&A's program is easily identifiable to someone who is familiar with Eastern European traditional music.

I am predicting a North Ameriacan sweep of the podium!!!! Go Tessa and Scott!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    Exactly, and it showed it their CD. A beautiful Vienese (sp?) waltz or a ball room dance that was sweeping and regal would have made them totally stand out and show off their beautiful statuesque (tracy's words from) figures. Just thinking off top of my head.

For B/A, Moldavian dance they did is, what juniors Russian skaters do as their exhibition numbers before they become seasoned and sophisticated champions B/A are. B/A did it better than any juniors but they couldn't carry it over the top no matter how well they skated it.
    aurora, I don't know if he's capable of doing the kind of knee bends a sweeping/regal dance requires. I think Linichuk knew what she was doing when choreographing these dances. The belts in the FD, the crazy costumes - it's to hide their definicies. It's no crime, but because his knees are going downhill, they don't have much to work with. It's a shame, when you think about it. I watched their GPF FD from 07/08 (the won they won) and thought it was very powerful. They've got such massive presence on the ice, and their unison and leg lines were unmatched. The operative word being "were" - unfortunately.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I really felt Meryl & Charlie and Tessa & Scott could have gone either way last night in the OD. They were both so wonderful and enjoyable! I hope they finish as 1 & 2, either way. I love both teams!

On the Ice
    oooh, seems like everyone wasn't able to go into the forum. but it's back so thank you to those in charge of maintaining / fixing this site.

anyway, d/w's od has been my favorite the entire season and they really skated it best here in the olympics. but v/m were on fire! comparing these two teams to dom/shabs and b/a made me conclude that marina zoueva is a genious choreographer. i just don't understand linichuk's choreography. i agree with what was said during the bbc coverage (i think it's still robin cousins). the teams are way better than what was presented in their od.

Quote Originally Posted by SK8LUVR View Post
    I am predicting a North Ameriacan sweep of the podium!!!! Go Tessa and Scott!
    If the way they skated was the determining factor you would be right. It looks like it was decided last night and D/S will medal and B/A will not.

I loved V/M last night and maybe it is just my taste but I would have placed them 1st and D/W 2nd.

As to D/S - it wasn't as bad as I had heard but it looked to be the least difficult program.
    B/A always had a certain spark that has been lost by trying to present them as a Russo/E. Euro team.

I always liked them because they were a little different and sassy. Their costumes made Ben look like a circus clown and why a girl as pretty as Tannith was dressed that way feels strange.

Too bad they will finish fourth since they have the skills to medal if only presented better. Pooor choices in an Olympic season.

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm not very familiar with the technical elements and scoring of ice dancing and that left me quite confused when the Canadian team was on top by what seemed to be a big amount.

I didn't even think their performance was as interesting, quick or appealing as the american team that did the indian dance, so when they blew past their score I was kind of shocked.

The russian team's dance seemed too cartoony with their exaggerated expressions. I didn't connect with me. Then belbin and agosto had that moldova dance which I felt was flat as well. The music did nothing for me and the costumes were a bit overpowering.

I'm still annoyed at the canadian team's overall score since it's 11 points better than 5th place. Is it possible for a team to overcome a 7-11 point deficit going into the free skate?

Custom Title
    Possible? Yes. Plausible? No. For what it's worth, a 1.33 difference in the OD isn't a huge amount, nor is 2.60 overall. But V/M's weakness this season (and in general) was the OD - their FD is pretty much a masterpiece. Even when they lost to D/W at the GPF, they won this dance. B/A would be lucky to podium and would have to rely on a fall from D/S, imo.

Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast