Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance's OD - Sunday 21st 7:15pm EST

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    B&A's OD was so underwhelming after D&W and V&M. I agree that they would be much better served by a different OD. I think B&A's FD is better than D&S'. Hoping B&A will really put it down tonight. Really don't see anybody but D&W and V&M going 1-2. D&W have their work cut out for them. V&M are skating amazing.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    What is all this noise about DomShab`s aboriginal dance? Why if your dance a Spanish, Indian, Rusisan, etc. folk dance, it is not offensive, but if you dance an aboriginal folk dance, it is offensive? I do not understand.
    Here's the difference: Domnina and Shabalin appear to be *making fun of* Aboriginal culture. The dance comes across as little more than a caricature, with the two of them portraying simple, buffoonish people who are not "civilized." Their research extended no further than the Internet. There is no excuse for not going deeper from the get-go. What I, personally, find most offensive is that little thought was invested in the whole production; it seems that the team thought they could skate by (pardon the pun) on the strength of their reputation and World title. It's glaringly obvious that there is little attention to detail, if any attention to detail at all.

Perhaps it is not spelled out in the rules, and perhaps I am the only one who feels this way, but I believe that a folk/country OD should highlight the beauty of a particular culture and honor what makes it unique and special. There needs to be a spirit of reverence there, even if the dance itself is "fun"; there is no excuse for trivialization of ANY culture, particularly a culture that has fought to overcome a history of diminishment.

On the Ice
    Please guys!!!! Video of georgian pair!!! I am dying - want to see it! I love their dance from Euro!

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I went in rooting for Del-Schoe and D/W but Tessa and Scott blew me away. They weren't very Spanish, IMO, but the fluidity and perfect positions and speed made up for it. She's the most ballerina like of all the ice dancers. With that incredible free dance of theirs, no way they're not getting gold!!! *And yes I'm knocking on wood because I don't want to jinx them.*

D/W will be a very worthy silver and will have that little something to keep them sharp over the next four years.

Dom/Shabs - I don't see how they're in third after that embarrassment of an OD. I don't have the greatest eye for ice dance but it didn't seem to be a great showcase for their skills either. It's right up there with Yagudin's banana number. Just. Get. Rid. Of. It. I will say I admired Dom's ferocious smile from start to finish. What a diva!!

B/A - This is the best I've seen them do this OD but I still dislike it - music, costumes, choreography. (The nadir is the head-bobbing.) For someone as beautiful as Tanith to do a program so absolutely unfashionable is sadistic on the part of whoever chose it for her. I feel bad for them, but they could have changed the program a long time ago. They've been through this before.

ETA: Forgot about Del/Schoe. I really loved their program but she looked just slow and heavy enough to justify a lower score. Very disappointing. I hope they do a socko free dance just to remind everybody who they are!
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 02-22-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Custom Title
    Domnina and Shabalin's od was a disgrace. Already been told not to wear red [women of high only get to wear that color] she wore it anyway. Shows no respect for the Aboriginie culture. They really didn't have music, just noise and they were making silly faces too. They shouldn't be in 3rd place with that farce. B/A should have 3rd place.

Custom Title
    virtue- moir were so amazing!!! I loved their OD!!!

and second (IMO) fede&massi!!! they won over D&S at euro, I didn't understand what happened yesterday...

also, please someone tell maxim that his costume...for the OD...is absolutely to change, couldn't he skate with normal pants?!?!

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Well, Dom/Shab definitely toned the costume down. They were definitely less like gingerbread people this time ,and thank God Max lost the blackface. However, since they did also change the cut of the loincloths ( which I don't recall being a specific complaint ), would it have hurt them to shy away from red , which the Aborigines were opposed to on the grounds that it holds spiritual meaning for them ? It would have been a small concession for D/S , but might have meant a lot to the native people they offended.
    Judging by their marks and the relative simplicity of the dance ( and I haven't looked at the marks in detail,yet), it doesn't seem like the judges imposed any penalty for the apparent nakedness of the costumes or for their music , suggesting that either the judges ignored the fact that the music was not aboriginal , or they didn't hold D/S to the same standard as the other couples whose dances had to reflect a known folk or country dance , not an imaginary one.

If they have these rules, but are not going to make deductions for flouting them, then maybe teams who work within the rules to great effect should receive a bonus ? See Faiella and Scali.

Anyway, thrilled for V/M and D/W. Don't think much of the draw for tonight. And costumes? K/N Firebird is coming... < this little guy is not "unsure" ,it's "jaundiced eye"

and thank God Max lost the blackface.
    Wait. He used to do the OD w/ blackface? Okay, now I get why so much controversy. That's just not in any way appropriate.

On the Ice
    beabstress: Awesome post. No one can miss that difference now.

Custom Title
    Speaking of cultural understanding, please have a look at my post on the costumes thread for an explanation of why the Firebird's costume has to be very, very bright. This comes from an old Russian fairy tale. The bird is supposed to glow; even a feather from it is supposed to glow.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ostumes!/page5

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by beabstress View Post
    Here's the difference: Domnina and Shabalin appear to be *making fun of* Aboriginal culture. The dance comes across as little more than a caricature, with the two of them portraying simple, buffoonish people who are not "civilized." Their research extended no further than the Internet. There is no excuse for not going deeper from the get-go. What I, personally, find most offensive is that little thought was invested in the whole production; it seems that the team thought they could skate by (pardon the pun) on the strength of their reputation and World title. It's glaringly obvious that there is little attention to detail, if any attention to detail at all.

Perhaps it is not spelled out in the rules, and perhaps I am the only one who feels this way, but I believe that a folk/country OD should highlight the beauty of a particular culture and honor what makes it unique and special. There needs to be a spirit of reverence there, even if the dance itself is "fun"; there is no excuse for trivialization of ANY culture, particularly a culture that has fought to overcome a history of diminishment.
    ITA and would add that many of the other teams went out and consulted with people who know the dances in particular several have been noted as having worked with choreographers who know the dance genre they were portraying. The phrase that kept popping into my mind last night was "So easy a cave man can do it".... really the dance was more Flintstones than aboriginal.

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    What is all this noise about DomShab`s aboriginal dance? Why if your dance a Spanish, Indian, Rusisan, etc. folk dance, it is not offensive, but if you dance an aboriginal folk dance, it is offensive? I do not understand.
    It's a matter of making a comedy of it and not a serious take. The dance looked like two birds going thru a ritual mating dance, and not what humans would do in a dance. Has there ever been a human pulling the hair of another human in dance? Has Linnichuck really studied this tribe culturally?

I loved D/W, I am in love with their OD and I think yesterday they skated it better than they have all season long. I missed V/M, but from the general comment, I hear they were amazing. WIth the almost 3 point lead I don't think it will be enough for D/W to win unfortunately. They lost the FD to the canadians at the GP final. But... if D/W won, how would people take it? I mean if both teams skated perfectly, and D/W won, do you guys think people would say it wasn't fair? I guess V/M FD looks more "Olympic" than D/W PotO Free Dance (although it is a very good program with lots of difficulty). I wish they had done Samson and Delilah this season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama View Post
    Wait. He used to do the OD w/ blackface? Okay, now I get why so much controversy. That's just not in any way appropriate.
    Euro's OD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vczTPSwF9do
    and photo : http://www.examiner.com/a-2433188~Do...nal_dance.html

Rinkside
    You've got the picture!

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast