Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance's OD - Sunday 21st 7:15pm EST

Banned
    The Dom/Shabs smear campaign still continues? It's never enough for haters.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Diva View Post
    Somehow I think that B&A, K&N and C&P are some kind of sacrificial lambs
    You've got the picture!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    It's always a pleasure to get a lesson in culture from an American tourist.
    Excuse me? I may be an "American Tourist" however I have a friend who actually is of Moldavian descent and who performs as part of a Moldavian folk dance troupe so it's not like I have never heard Moldavian music. At any rate it was my personal opinon as a viewer that the particular piece of music they used failed to bring the audience in. I am certainly not knocking the culture so I don't know why you tossed that label out there.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    The same reason the SP exists...television. There was such an outcry after the 72 games when most viewers did not see the compulsories, that the ISU added the SP for singles, which already existed in a raw form for pairs. The OSP (later the OD) was added for ice dance for similar reasons. Breaks up the monotony of hearing the same music and seeing the same moves or steps and adds one more interesting program to watch. Of course there were far less winter sports on the program back then, so they needed to fill the space some way.
    Well, television has shown compulsory dance for several Oly seasons now.

I still don't really get the point of the original dance. I watched it last night with some non-skating friends, and they made fun of it the whole time. I'm sure others were doing the same. Not so sure it's so great for the sport...

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by formersk8ter View Post
    Well, television has shown compulsory dance for several Oly seasons now.

I still don't really get the point of the original dance. I watched it last night with some non-skating friends, and they made fun of it the whole time. I'm sure others were doing the same. Not so sure it's so great for the sport...
    I can see where it might be kind of a specialized taste. But I'm kind of used to that as an opera buff and skating fan.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by formersk8ter View Post
    If your friends still can't appreciate the beauty, difficulty and athleticism in ice dancing after V/M and D/W's skates, then they are ignorant, blind and dead inside. Get new friends.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by oxade21 View Post
    The Dom/Shabs smear campaign still continues? It's never enough for haters.
    I don't think it's hating if you don't particularly care for someone's choice of programs. I think they are fantastic ice dancers...I just think their current OD is cringe worthy.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama View Post
    Actually, CTV was discussing the ODs this morning and said that D/S met with the first nations (I think they meant the Canadian 4 first nations) and got their blessing on the OD so they were trying to make sure it was in good taste. It just wasn't a good idea on their part. Once they knew it was too controversial, they should have gone with something else. I think we all thought they were doing something different? But, I wonder if, they didn't really realize until Euros and by then, it was too late for a whole new OD. I dunno.
    That's pretty much what happened, as far as I remember the "war" broke out on the eve of the OD at Euros, I don't think D/S had time for anything else but minor changes between then and Olys.

I think it was very clear from the start though that they did not mean to mock or make fun of anyone intentionally, and this was clear to the aboriginal leaders as well. Last I heard any quotes from those leaders they seemed to be more forgiving, they invited D/S to visit Australia and get to know their culture and Bev Manton (one of the leaders) also reacted positively about the costume change.

I very much hope they were able to make amends, per media reports their meeting with First Nations went very well (which is not the same as meeting the Australian Aborigines, but hopefully there is some communication between them, since First Nations originally offered to be intermediaries). I'm just going to quote part of an article about that, because I like what they said about the blankets (and sorry if this was mentioned already):

http://www.fanhouse.com/news/main/wo...ead-ice/914643

"They said it should cover our hearts and keep us from any bad things, so we were very pleased with that," Shabalin said. "We hope we will become friends, so that's why we wore them today. We are open, we are open to friendship."
    Hmmmm, so maybe it's the blankets that keep bad marks away from them

Switching to a completely different topic: someone who claimed to be Moldovan commented on B/A's OD on youtube that the music was authentic . I know nothing about Moldovan music, so I have no idea if that's true or not, but I thought I'd share that anyway.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tralfamadorian View Post
    That's pretty much what happened, as far as I remember the "war" broke out on the eve of the OD at Euros, I don't think D/S had time for anything else but minor changes between then and Olys.

I think it was very clear from the start though that they did not mean to mock or make fun of anyone intentionally, and this was clear to the aboriginal leaders as well. Last I heard any quotes from those leaders they seemed to be more forgiving, they invited D/S to visit Australia and get to know their culture and Bev Manton (one of the leaders) also reacted positively about the costume change.

I very much hope they were able to make amends, per media reports their meeting with First Nations went very well (which is not the same as meeting the Australian Aborigines, but hopefully there is some communication between them, since First Nations originally offered to be intermediaries). I'm just going to quote part of an article about that, because I like what they said about the blankets (and sorry if this was mentioned already):

Hmmmm, so maybe it's the blankets that keep bad marks away from them

Switching to a completely different topic: someone who claimed to be Moldovan commented on B/A's OD on youtube that the music was authentic . I know nothing about Moldovan music, so I have no idea if that's true or not, but I thought I'd share that anyway.
    Maybe they should have skated with the blankets to cover up those ferns. ~

The Moldavan music does sound authentic...you can Youtube it...but that particular selection wasn't the best choice, in my amatuerish uneducated opinion. ~

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Dodhiyel ..I wasn't objecting to the use of colour in K/N's firebird costume, though, perhaps another designer might use it a little more artfully. And I'm very familiar with the origins of the story ,the music ,Bakst's original costume design and many others over the years by numerous ballet companies , having studied and taught ballet and other forms of dance for a good portion of my life.

My objection is to the degree of K's apparent nakedness , which would serve no purpose other than to titillate, even if this was ballet. It's completely inappropriate for a sports competition ,by the ISU's own rules , and pushes the boundaries beyond even the lax enforcement of recent years.

Medalist
    Some Australian aborigines were still offended after seeing the OD:

Aboriginal leaders: Russian ice dancers' routine still offensive

After seeing the dance Sunday night, an Aboriginal dancer wrote in Australia's Herald Sun newspaper:

The dance is certainly unlike anything I've seen, and other than a few complex lifts, the performance didn't really entertain me. It looked wrong on so many levels. ... When creating a dance or theatre work, even as contemporary indigenous dancers, it is a part of our practice to follow cultural protocols and consult with traditional elders who understand the meaning behind the movement. It is respect for our traditional cultural laws, language groups and elders for this information to be passed on correctly.

An Aboriginal leader agreed, telling The Australian newspaper:

"I am offended by the performance and so are our other councillors," Bev Manton, the chairwoman of the [New South Wales] Land Council said.

"Aboriginal people for very good reason are sensitive about their cultural objects and icons being co-opted by non-Aboriginal people – whether they are from Australia or Russia.

"It's important for people to tread carefully and respectfully when they are depicting somebody else's culture, and I don't think this performance does."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/van...urn=oly,221290

Not sure if this was a typical reaction to D/S OD or not....

Custom Title
    Better to stop to talk about the losers of the night.

Virtue/Moir suddenly made me jumping out of my bed last night!
    Yes, that is what we all were waiting for watching the Olys every night! To get this feeling!

It was one of the best Oly Moment in Ice Dance history together with the Bolero, Klimova-Ponomarenko's Romeo and Juliette and Anissina-Peizerat's Flamenco.

Superb, ice.melting!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    What is all this noise about DomShab`s aboriginal dance? Why if your dance a Spanish, Indian, Rusisan, etc. folk dance, it is not offensive, but if you dance an aboriginal folk dance, it is offensive? I do not understand.
    Because the aboriginal people said it was offensive and a caricature of them. It didn't represent their culture in a delightful, authentic way.

Medalist
    I might be the only one, but I did not like V/M OD, they seemed a bit slow to me and well after seeing the flamenco of Anissina & Peizerat, every other flamenco seems to me just like 2nd class attemp of something that was already done way better.

D/W were on fire. Fully deserved move up the rankings, would have placed them even 1st.

For me the best couple of Olympics so far are Faiella & Scali. Would deserve a medal but thanks to the judges would never get it. Too many couples that must be "rewarded" before them.

Quote Originally Posted by ademption View Post
    Some Australian aborigines were still offended after seeing the OD:

Aboriginal leaders: Russian ice dancers' routine still offensive
    I've a feeling they are asking the same person the same question over the last two months. The quotes are the same in every published article.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivana View Post
    For me the best couple of Olympics so far are Faiella & Scali. Would deserve a medal but thanks to the judges would never get it. Too many couples that must be "rewarded" before them.
    They can still win a medal! They're about 6 points behind Oksana and Maxim. Federica's and Massimo's FD will rock the judges' world!

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast