Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why all the hate?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Hmm, I think you're right also, with the advent of youtube these wars have even exceeded what we saw with the Tara/Michelle wars.

I'm actually hoping Yuna wins to save us all from the hate I've read about when Apolo Anton Ohno won vs. the Korean. It continues on to this day. In fact just today I read this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/van...v=ap&type=lgns

To spite everybody, I wouldn't be surprised if God has chosen Joannie Rochette to win, which I wouldn't mind at all. *smile*
    Excuse me. But why are you bringing short track into this? There are some people who follow short track that don't like Apolo but that has to do the way he plays the game. There are some Yuna fans who follow short track, but many of them don't. BTW, Apolo's coach and the coach of the US short track team is a Korean.

Don't take it out on everyone else because your favorite underperformed.
    Last edited by Figure88; 02-20-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I agree with the Original Poster. It's funny if you think about it. Here we are, grown adults (for the most part), hiding behind Internet anonymity to hurl granades at each other over the issue of whether one figure skater is prettier than another.

"I can't stand the Czech Republic because at 2008 Europeans the judges gave Tomas Verner a 6.75 in Interpretation, when I thought he deserved only a 6.50!!!! "
    I think it's funny too....especially because people are complaining about Evan's and Plushenko's scores, which were fine, and not the hugely generous scores given to Lambiel and Chan or the underscoring of Weir, Kozuka, and even Dai and Oda. Plus Plush and Evan had the SAME PCS, so honestly the quad doesn't give Plush an advantage when he frontloads his programs so severely like he did here. Quads are also just frustrating because they give you false hope.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    It's also very telling to me how hardly no one on this forum reacted negatively to Evan being bratty in all his comments about losing the US title to Jeremy Abbott (in fact the majority of people here brushed his comments off as nothing), yet so many here are jumping on Evgeni Plushenko for expressing his honest opinions about the COP system and Evan's skating. Double standard, much?
    I do agree with this. I think Evan won the gold fair and square....but you can bet that if he lost he wouldn't be so gracious saying how much he looks up to Plushy, etc. Carroll and him clearly psyched Jeremy off after nationals by saying he may have peaked too soon and I think it worked. :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I do agree with this. I think Evan won the gold fair and square....but you can bet that if he lost he wouldn't be so gracious saying how much he looks up to Plushy, etc. Carroll and him clearly psyched Jeremy off after nationals by saying he may have peaked too soon and I think it worked. :(
    I really do not think it's fair to blame Evan and Frank Carroll for Jeremy messing up at the Olympics, they didn't do anything to Jeremy. Jeremy has been known to be hot and cold and not the strongest under pressure, it's a problem he has to work through himself, not something that should be dumped on Evan and Frank Carol.

Medalist
    I agree, you can't blame Evan for Jeremy messing up. If its that easy to get into his head, kid doesn't have a chance. That said, I think if he had skated 2 clean programs he would have deserved OG. His choreography was excellent. Hope he comes back and skates for another 4 years and gives his nerves time to develop under pressure.

I think its funny Evan is being so gracious now. I appreciate it, but I wish he had shown it in the past, before he got what he wanted (OG).

Down With It
    Doesn't this happen every Olympics? This is a once-in-4-years opportunity, the athletes have worked hard for this; there's naturally going to be some bitterness among some of the athletes that fall short of their goal, and among their fans as well.

Things should cool off by off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Carroll and him clearly psyched Jeremy off after nationals by saying he may have peaked too soon and I think it worked. :(
    yes because they were the *only* ones to say that or be thinking that. there were quite a few skating fans on golden skate wondering the very same thing. Evan and Frank were saving face for such a poor showing at nationals, sure, but they weren't saying anything that didn't have merrit. Jeremy put it all out for nationals and peaked too soon, his skating in vancouver had nothing to do what was said by another skater in an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I really do not think it's fair to blame Evan and Frank Carroll for Jeremy messing up at the Olympics, they didn't do anything to Jeremy. Jeremy has been known to be hot and cold and not the strongest under pressure, it's a problem he has to work through himself, not something that should be dumped on Evan and Frank Carol.
    yes because they were the *only* ones to say that or be thinking that. there were quite a few skating fans on golden skate wondering the very same thing. Evan and Frank were saving face for such a poor showing at nationals, sure, but they weren't saying anything that didn't have merrit. Jeremy put it all out for nationals and peaked too soon, his skating in vancouver had nothing to do what was said by another skater in an interview.
    I agree that Jeremy has a tendacy to crash in international competition and that's something that he can't blame anyone else for. And yes, what Evan and Frank said at Nationals is probably nothing untrue. My point in mentioning this is that Evan (and Frank) can be quite the sore loser and their comments after competitions should not be overlooked.

That said, I stand on my earlier comment that I have no problem with Evan getting the gold. He went out there and did the work and earned it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alatariel View Post
    Oh please! Where do you live?! Mars?!

Finally, the Olympics have never been a coming together of all nations. It's a children's bed time tale. They have always been and are a way for countries to show their superiority in one way or another, and they don't care when it comes to the big boys how they get to it.
    The Olympics is a competition. The top contenders are definitely there to win - which is, of course, showing superiority. I won't deny that. But there's also sportmanship and how you go about winning and losing and making your points. The Olympics can be a universal celebration of sport and achievement and coming together of all nations.

People have been talking about the ladies event, but I'm still holding my breath for the OD and FD...the consequences of the possibility of no medal for D/S, the "home country advantage" accusations if V/M win, the "inferior presentation" accusations if D/W win.

Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    Didn't Lysacek say something not too nice after the Nationals? I read it here so I don't have any quotes, something like the Nationals are just practice, he didn't even try or something like that? I remember thinking it was horribly rude towards the champ.

he wasn't dissing nationals, he was giving an assessment of how he looked at them going into the season - that he just wanted to make the team, that it was just practice for the bigger international events coming up - not that they weren't important (this is the kid that killed himself trying to win the title not too long ago, and he isn't about the tick off the USFSA by calling it unimportant) it was merely his strategy for the season. hence the decision to go for teh quad. it was a test to make the decision if he'd throw it in, in Vancouver.

Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    Oh thanks, only read it here so was wondering how that went.

Heh, he was never going to go for the quad. Too calculated a skater and frankly, no guts either. In combination a big blah.

Maybe someone should make a Plushenko and Chan appreciation thread. I certainly would miss them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by figuristka View Post
    Maybe someone should make a Plushenko and Chan appreciation thread. I certainly would miss them.
    I'm tempted to make one for Chan, but I feel like it would just get shut down.....
    He's a cutie nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by Figure88 View Post
    Excuse me. But why are you bringing short track into this? There are some people who follow short track that don't like Apolo but that has to do the way he plays the game. There are some Yuna fans who follow short track, but many of them don't. BTW, Apolo's coach and the coach of the US short track team is a Korean.

Don't take it out on everyone else because your favorite underperformed.
    I think you completely missed the point.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast