The "Future" of Figure Skating - 2014 Podium Threats (Men's) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The "Future" of Figure Skating - 2014 Podium Threats (Men's)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Compared to the other skaters... if you look at the Japanese Nationals, the tallest men are 5'7" (Kozuka and Hanyu)... the rest are either smaller or the same height as Mao Asada at 5'4" o_O So, big for a Japanese male skater, considering he could still go through a growth spurt since he is only 15.

This is true. Most of them really are about the same size as Mao. Oda is 5'4.5" and 123 pounds...I knew he was small but didn't know he was THAT small. Dai is 5'5" and 130 pounds. I wonder if Joubert is at a disadvantage being more substantially built than most of the top skaters.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
When I saw some male figure skaters in person at Skate Canada 2008, I was surprised to see how thin they are. Most of the women are miniscule. Even Jenna McCorkell, who looks like a larger skater on television, was thinner than me. It made me feel fat.. lol.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
When I saw some male figure skaters in person at Skate Canada 2008, I was surprised to see how thin they are. Most of the women are miniscule. Even Jenna McCorkell, who looks like a larger skater on television, was thinner than me. It made me feel fat.. lol.

Yeah they are pretty thin. Jenna is listed as 5'5" and 125 pounds which for someone that muscular is pretty small. Joannie's buff but I saw her live once and she is teeny. Miki is super thin even though she doesn't look it on tv.

FTnoona

Final Flight
I am really looking forward to the Japanese team for the next olympics, especially Hanyu. He just looks adorable in his long program. I mean little kid adorable. Hanyu can totally be a podium threat. His 3axel-3toe it beautiful but hopefully he doesn't lose his jumps but since guys don't grow hips like girls do when they go through puberty the chances that happens are slim. Go Yuzuru!! :)

lavender

Record Breaker
For me I see battles with Amodio, Brezina, Rippon and Ten challenging. I haven't seen a lot of them but these guys really impressed my when I decided to watch junior grand prix. That is a good way to see the up and comers.

Borodulin and Brezina should leave Europe or wind up like Joubert and Verner. They are both very talented young men who need new coaches to get them moving in the right direction. There are some very good coaches in N.America to give them another look at figure skating.

Amodio, Ten, are doing well where they are. A change may be necessary later. Maybe Javier could make it to N.America for another look.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Borodulin and Brezina should leave Europe or wind up like Joubert and Verner. They are both very talented young men who need new coaches to get them moving in the right direction. There are some very good coaches in N.America to give them another look at figure skating.

Amodio, Ten, are doing well where they are. A change may be necessary later. Maybe Javier could make it to N.America for another look.

Yeah, what is it with all these inconsistent European skaters? We see it not only with the men, but the ladies too! Are the training facilities/coaches really not as good in Europe?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah, Borodulin and Brezina need to get out of Europe ASAP. I found this video of 20 year old Tomas Verner from the 2007 worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQCqgTFFn8
4t-3t, 4t, and a 3a, and 6 other triples. His artistry and spins weren't that strong at this point but soo much talent and he actually delivered there. For the most part he's been going downhill since. It's sad to see those quads are HUGE and he can still do them, if only he were more consistent

Pandora

Spectator
There's some promising American talent. Jason Brown is awesome...a real crowd pleaser and loaded with talent. Josh Farris is technically marvelous. Nathan Chen is frighteningly good at the age of 11. Four years...any of these could be in Sochi...

mskater93

Record Breaker
Jason Brown does not have a 3A yet, although he went from 2 triples to all-3A in a few months.

Josh Farris needs to gain some consistency and speed.

Nathan Chen will likely not be age eligible but if healthy would be a good bet for 2018.

Adam Rippon is a good bet as is Armin and Brandon Mroz (if he gets the proper support and coaching FOR HIM as he took a huge step backwards this year).

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Well, given the quad discussions, Kevin Reynolds does indeed land quads. He has been working on the skills and interpretation aspect of his skating; it's improved. My biggest concern is if he's going to be able to maintain the jumps if he ever grows and/or fills out ... however, he's young enough to be considering the next Olys.

Myself, I don't really care for Ten's skating. Reynolds I want to get a haircut and decent costuming, but, Ten is simply not someone I enjoy watching.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think Dennis Ten will be a contender.

Ten reminds me of a young Nobunari Oda. Where they are both so small, they don't have the impact that some of the other skaters have, but both have lovely qualities about there skating. I think there is a good chance Ten will win Jr. World's next week and if he does it will garner him more attention from the judges and label him as a rising star.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I just watched Hanyu's SP at Junior worlds and he seems to have a great future ahead of him! He had a mistake on his combo and some of his spins were uncentered (but great positions and fast :agree:) but his 3a is huge and gorgeous and he has great speed and expression on the ice. He reminds me a lot of a young Kozuka or Dai. I think he will be a threat in Sochi, considering he is only 15 now and that good!

The Japanes Men are doing fine. I think the European Men are engulfed in the European Championships rather than the Worlds. When you think of 4CC, how many top skaters avoid it?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The Japanes Men are doing fine. I think the European Men are engulfed in the European Championships rather than the Worlds. When you think of 4CC, how many top skaters avoid it?

There are a lot of promising young European skaters though, between Czech Buttle (Brezina), Fernandez, the Russian dude with the long hair, and the two Frenchmen.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Well, given the quad discussions, Kevin Reynolds does indeed land quads. He has been working on the skills and interpretation aspect of his skating; it's improved. My biggest concern is if he's going to be able to maintain the jumps if he ever grows and/or fills out ... however, he's young enough to be considering the next Olys.

Myself, I don't really care for Ten's skating. Reynolds I want to get a haircut and decent costuming, but, Ten is simply not someone I enjoy watching.

I doubt Kevin Reynolds will get any taller than he already is. I've never met his mum but his dad is no beanpole. He might fill out a bit, but he's been doing quads for at least 3-4 years now. I would be surprised if he lost them!

I agree about Ten. I don't find any joy in his skating. He has great technical talent but his presentation could use some serious work.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I doubt Kevin Reynolds will get any taller than he already is. I've never met his mum but his dad is no beanpole. He might fill out a bit, but he's been doing quads for at least 3-4 years now. I would be surprised if he lost them!

I agree about Ten. I don't find any joy in his skating. He has great technical talent but his presentation could use some serious work.

You have to keep in mind that Ten is only 16 though, he has PLENTY of time to work on his presentation and everything else too, for that matter. He has a lot of potential and being so small likely makes the jumps easier. I think in a few more years he will be very good, maybe not world medalist material, but Grand Prix medal material for sure.