Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: So What was with Johnny Weir

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    I can see why most men are reluctant to watch figure skating....
    Was it appropriate and suitable if he were a lady skater?

Custom Title
    To me, Johnny's skating was one of the brightest spots of the evening. It was no accident that the crowd stood up after he skated; his programme was beautiful. CoP is not about beautiy, or about heroic efforts, it is merely about points. Because of this, there is a lot of frenetic skating, and not enough truly beautiful skating in men's singles now. Johnny reminded us what beautiful skating looks like. Thank you, Johnny. As to his rose crown, I thought it infinitely gracious of him to honor his fan that way, and watching him in the K and C, I thought of the ancient Greek athletes and their laurel wreaths. It seemed wonderfully apt to me that Johnny, at that moment, should be crowned with red roses, and I am grateful to the fan that gave that crown to him. To me, that moment, with Johnny crowned in red roses, holding a red rose bouquet, was a moment of "Nike", i.e., of victory, victory of beautiful athleticism, and artistic power. The word "artistry" gets slung around a lot in the world of CoP, but its use often is not justified; Johnny displayed genuine artistry in his programme. His graciousness in the face of being underscored was also beautiful. I felt as if we were seeing the real Johnny last night, and it was very good to see.

As for Patrick, he showed such promise when he was 16, with his smooth, fluid motion on the ice. I thought then that we might some day see great things from him. I never imagined that we should see so much self-righteous judgementalism from him toward veteran skaters. Somehow, he seems to have gotten confused about what really matters. I hope that he will settle down, and think things through.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    The fact that Patrick says things that what passes for trash-talking in this genteel sport doesn't necessarily make him a bad person. In fact, a skater who shall not be named, but says all the right things in interviews and cannot appear to be more gracious and humble is the tooliest of tools in his/her treatment of people. If what people says really matter all that much, most politicians would actually be useful! Let's stick to judging people by what they do.

If I were to judge Patrick Chan by what he's done, I'd start with his sudden breakup with Don Laws. Something seems wonky there, something that possibly bespeaks of douchiness on Chan's part. I'd harp on that more than anything Chan might say.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    If I were to judge Patrick Chan by what he's done, I'd start with his sudden breakup with Don Laws. Something seems wonky there, something that possibly bespeaks of douchiness on Chan's part. I'd harp on that more than anything Chan might say.
    I think Patrick just didn't want to permanently move to Florida. There are videos of him saying how he likes to sleep in his own bed and be with his family. I kinda get the feeling he's a homebody like Joubert, but idk really because isn't he training in Colorado now?

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    From what Don Laws has said, it seems Chan handled it rather badly. He just ignored Laws for a bit while training in Colorado, then finally told Laws it's over. Needs to work on his breakup skills.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3