So What was with Johnny Weir | Golden Skate

So What was with Johnny Weir

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
When Johnny was in the Kiss n' Cry waiting for his marks, he did look pretty strange!!! What was that about? A garland of roses around his head and a huge bouquet of roses. I can see why most men are reluctant to watch figure skating....

Last edited by a moderator:

screech

Final Flight
Johnny is who he is and makes no excuses for that. I probably would have done the same thing. He also just had a great skate and was in a good, playful mood. I think it was endearing, personally.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
He looked fine.

That garland of roses was from a fan.

And you spelled his last name incorrectly.

Yeeep.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
When Johnny was in the Kiss n' Cry waiting for his marks, he did look pretty strange!!! What was that about? A garland of roses around his head and a huge bouquet of roses. I can see why most men are reluctant to watch figure skating....

Didn't Patrick Chan critisize Johnny Weir for doing that?
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/news/newsid=47003.html#chan+weir+be+professional+kiss+cry

"If you were watching yesterday, Johnny Weir put the flowers on (his) head," Chan said.

"That's like a big no-no. You don't do that. You have to have some kind of professionalism and that's just kind of- you're making fun and you know, giving it a bad image, I think, in my mind.

"It's something that you don't do. You're supposed to be proper."

Or is it already being discussed in a million posts thread and I missed it?

DesertRoad

Final Flight
In ancient Greece and I think in the older iterations of the modern games, Olympic champions were given olive wreaths. A fan opted to give Johnny something a little more festive and he was delighted to have it. Really, until you and Patrick Chan brought it up, I didn't even notice anything unusual about it. A fan gave a skater something nice and wearable and he put it on. ¯\(°_o)/¯

SunshineSlayer

Rinkside
Yeah, really? Whats the problem here? A fan made it and handed it to him and he wore it. So? Can't believe Patrick Chan would think there is something wrong with that.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Didn't Patrick Chan critisize Johnny Weir for doing that?
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/news/newsid=47003.html#chan+weir+be+professional+kiss+cry

Or is it already being discussed in a million posts thread and I missed it?

Haha, Patrick Chan always seems to be criticizing someone or something. All these interviews make him seem really obnoxious. He's criticized Plushenko, Joubert, Weir......

Personally, I didn't think there was anything wrong with Johnny's behaviour in the kiss and cry. He's just showing his appreciation for that gift from a fan.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Haha, Patrick Chan always seems to be criticizing someone or something. All these interviews make him seem really obnoxious. He's criticized Plushenko, Joubert, Weir......

Personally, I didn't think there was anything wrong with Johnny's behaviour in the kiss and cry. He's just showing his appreciation for that gift from a fan.

There's something strange about Patrick's social skills, imo.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with Johnny's behaviour in the kiss and cry either.

janetfan

Match Penalty
There's something strange about Patrick's social skills, imo.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with Johnny's behaviour in the kiss and cry either.

I am not a big Johnny fan but I thought he really skated a beautiful LP. I was happy to see him skate so well and thought his actions in the K& C were kinda nice.

In fact, when the crowd began booing his score I thought Johnny showed wonderful sportsmanship and Olympic spirit as he tried to quiet them down.

He will always and forever be a 6.0 skater and I think he has come to terms with that. I hope he goes to Worlds and skates just as well and maybe the judges will be score him more favorably.

Justafan

On the Ice
It was just Johnny being very appreciative of his fans by wearing the flower crown one gave him. I see nothing wrong with it and Patrick Chan needs to take a dose of his own medicine when it comes to professionalism given some of his comments lately, however he is still young. As for men being reluctant to watch figure skating and to paraphrase a recent interview with Johnny, it seems some of them have no problem watching men in spandex throwing a ball and slapping each other on the azz. Nuff said.

Germanice

On the Ice
Instead of criticizing Johnny, transition boy and hometown "hero" Chan better be grateful for the candies he's gotten from the judges again. Otherwise he would've been placed far, far behind Johnny, and rightfully so! :sheesh:

Last edited:

Alatariel

On the Ice
Meh, who cares about that idiot Chan. He was hugely overscored thanks to the home boost and still we saw where he ended up.

Weir on the other hand skated his heart out with no boosts at all, on the contrary, he was underscored and we saw where he ended up.

Chan could only wish to have Johnny's personality - integrity is something beyond Chan's ken.

Loved Johnny in the k&c - he wore the garland his fans gave him and we all know it's what champions of the Olys used to get. Plus it was a variation appropriate for Johnny too :biggrin: Love the guy, such great character!

ranjake

Final Flight
i LOVED johnny in his crown! my biggest joy in this oly's, much to my surprise, has been johnny. he's been so gracious in interviews as well-great w/ mary carillo last night. i hope he continues skating- i feel like he has yet to peak.

figuristka

Medalist
Loved Johnny both in short and long, such a shame he could not have scored higher. See nothing wrong with him wearing a rose crown from fans, thought it was nice to see him happy. There was a thread earlier about Plushenko being a nice guy away from competition and media and perhaps Chan should be viewed the same way.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I don't think there is anything wrong with him wearing something that was given to him by a fan. He skated two great Olympic performances and I think little things like wearing a rose crown is his way of appreciating his fans. He looked great! He was enjoying his moment. Patrick Chan shouldn't make fun of gifts anyway considering the judges gave him a big one....:sheesh:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:think: Why the F do people have a problem with this? He had every right to celebrate his performance with the people who love him! Are there not more important, bigger things in life for you to worry your head over? Get a friggin' grip! Johnny is a very extroverted, carefree person . . . his personality is very endearing and engaging off the ice. He's nearing the close of his eligible career and he wanted to have fun after all his hard work had paid off for him personally and his fans. Great for him!

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
:think: Why the F do people have a problem with this? Are there not more important, bigger things in life for you to worry you head over? Get a friggin' grip! Johnny is a very extroverted, carefree person . . . his personality is very endearing and engaging off the ice.

Not according to Patrick Chan
*please don't kill me*

nghtvsn

Rinkside
I liked Johnny's performances and liked how he handled himself after the low scoring. It was disappointing to see Galina's expression after she reviewed the scores. She was so happy on both occassions till those damn scores came up. Bummer.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I didn't know he trained with Ksenia Makarova....just found that out. Apparently he's taking care of her this next week and cheering her on, that's so cute!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Since Johnny is originally from my area our newspaper has always had alot of covergage about him.

Here is a real "Weirism" from the Philadelphia Inquirer:

"The other night, before he stepped out on the ice looking like Edward Scissorhands, Weir told reporters he was ready to rock and not at all scared of the competition."

"I'm not intimidated, not by anything," Weir said.
"Not by flowing blonde hair. Not by a tanned face."
"I'm not intimidated by anything except maybe PETA standing outside with a bucket of blood."

Reporter John Gonzalez ends with "whoever writes his material is a genius." :laugh: