Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event

I have merged all threads commenting on interviews by Russian skaters or officials on the men's event into this thread. This was done because the discussion had split into 4 or 5 different threads, making the board too fragmented. Doris P

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-feat...nhomepage&cid=

I mean Plushenko is not the only good skater in the world.I find it funny how when they win (Torino) you here nothing from them. The problem is they are not doing well this Olympics and Plushenko was someone they felt was a lock for gold for them.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-20-2010 at 11:37 PM.

Custom Title
    Yeah, I'm curious to see how Leonova and Makarova fair next week. Russia seems to think Leonova is the next Slutskaya and a medal contender but I'd say that's a stretch. You never know though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Yeah, I'm curious to see how Leonova and Makarova fair next week. Russia seems to think Leonova is the next Slutskaya and a medal contender but I'd say that's a stretch. You never know though.
    It just make me mad they have no respect for other skaters

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Many North Americans need to do the same!

Quote Originally Posted by UM84 View Post
    It just make me mad they have no respect for other skaters
    Riiiiiiiight, because Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic, Tom Hammond, Elvis Stojko, Jamie Sale, Patrick Chan, and Evan Lysacek have always respected skaters of all nationalities and/or their fellow competitors. Give me a break!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 02-20-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Custom Title
    LOL. This is getting really ugly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Many North Americans need to do the same!

Riiiiiiiight, because Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic, Tom Hammond, Elvis Stojko, Jamie Sale, Patrick Chan, and Evan Lysacek have always respected skaters of all nationalities.

Scott, Sandra, and Tom LOVE Patrick Chan, who's Canadian and Asian so I don't think that's a fair claim.

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Wait, when did Evan disrespect a skater of another nationality?

Medalist
    Thanks for the link. As I have said in other threads, NBC is really promoting this Cold War mentality between Russia and the United States. That was even before the free skate. I really wish they would drop it since the Cold War ended 20 years ago. Scotty, Sandra and the rest of the NBC team have outdated, anachronistic views about Russia and it has influenced American media coverage IMHO.

For one thing, the big news here is that Russia will not contest the results of the competition. There will be no whining from them to get the IOC to have another medal ceremony and award Plushenko a gold. That's the lead here. The rest of the article is just a rehash of Plushenko's undiplomatic comments about his loss and Russian broadcasters fluffing him up to ease his sore wounds.

In addition, the comments by Russia's sports minister Mutko are also noteworthy:

“Judging is an eternal problem. But, the system of judging is the way it is, and one has to fit into it, instead of criticizing it,” said Mutko.

“What is there to dispute? Things like that do not warrant issuing protests,” he added
    Isn't that what Lysacek's defenders have been saying since the free skate? That Plushenko should have worked the system better?

I find it curious that NBC all of a sudden reports on what Russian broadcasters said about Plushenko's loss, when most of the time they could care less about the world's hometown views of non-North Americans. This is simply propaganda and I refuse to allow NBC to influence me in that manner.

I guess NBC decided not to go for the rah-rah jingoistic coverage of figure skating like they have in other competitions. Instead they have decided to go for the Cold War angle. It's rather boring and trite for someone like me who neither enjoys the jingoism or the hyping of this Cold War rivalry. Oh, well, I'm guessing that NBC thinks controversy is good for ratings.

This drama is overhyped IMHO. Hopefully, the American's coverage of the Cold War crap at these Olympics will end with this latest stament by Russian officials that they have no intention of contesting the standing.

At the end of the day, Evan has his gold. After this event, will anyone care about this drama? I don't think so....

Quote Originally Posted by ademption View Post
    Thanks for the link. As I have said in other threads, NBC is really promoting this Cold War mentality between Russia and the United States.
    I agree. NBC will probably lose a hundred million dollars or so on these Olympic Games. They are grasping at any straw to boost ratings. But this Cold War stuff is ridiculous.

During the medal ceremony they even managed an angled camera shot that made Lysacek seem to tower over Plushenko on the podium (Takahashi was not in the picture.) When it came to "the rocket's red glare" they showed a close-up of Evgeni's face looking sad.

Booooo.

Anyway, GO LEONOVA!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ademption View Post
    Thanks for the link. As I have said in other threads, NBC is really promoting this Cold War mentality between Russia and the United States. That was even before the free skate. I really wish they would drop it since the Cold War ended 20 years ago. Scotty, Sandra and the rest of the NBC team have outdated, anachronistic views about Russia and it has influenced American media coverage IMHO.

For one thing, the big news here is that Russia will not contest the results of the competition. There will be no whining from them to get the IOC to have another medal ceremony and award Plushenko a gold. That's the lead here. The rest of the article is just a rehash of Plushenko's undiplomatic comments about his loss and Russian broadcasters fluffing him up to ease his sore wounds.

In addition, the comments by Russia's sports minister Mutko are also noteworthy:

That is my favorite quote because it is so true. Evan studied the system over the past few years and mastered it while Plushenko expected to come in (not changing anything) and win. Evan bulit his program around the system, while Plushenko built his program around a jump

Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    And the US and Canadians have so much respect for other skaters, it's amazing! I can't believe how respectful they are! Wow!

If just everyone figured it out, then we would be talking about a whole different game. But everyone thinks they are entitled when it comes to themselves. It was like this, it is like this ... doubt it'll change any time soon.
    Last edited by Alatariel; 02-20-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alatariel View Post
    And the US and Canadians have so much respect for other skaters, it's amazing! I can't believe how respectful they are! Wow!

If just everyone figured it out, then we would be talking about a whole different game. But everyone thinks they are entitled when it comes to themselves. It was like this, it is like this ... doubt it'll change any time soon.
    Name one US skater who has went on a rant like Plushenko attacking the champion

Custom Title
    no it isn't however-when a western judge points out a skaters faults and ignores the other skaters faults or the skaters good points-it goes beyond helping into cheating and telling other judges to vote or give higher goes scores in jumps, spins, spirals, foot sequence than other skaters. it tell them how to judge regardless of skate.
    point is evgeny won jumps with a 63.77 and evan 2nd in 63.47; johnny 3rd 61.
    but the transititions, spins, spirals sequence which was pointed out ahead of time in email by us judge, and canada and italy judges is this
    stephane 1st 22.60, patrick 2nd 22.10; evan 3rd 21.10; daisuke 4th 19.90; evgeny 6th 18.94; jeremey 7th 18.50; nobunari 8th 18.30; johnny 9th 17.96
    it throws a hole another light on subject,
    i am sure evan won; however due to before hand knowledge of calling out of skaters mistakes or specifically watch for lack of certain skaters artistic scores it calls into question whether the judges would have caught it or not or would the judges making sure they wanted only certain skaters to win medals. ahead of time. did they tell the other judges quietly who would get medals regardless of skate.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Plushenko - CTV Interview

Ctv just did a one-on-one interview with the Quad Star himself - Plushenko. In a candid interview Plushenko is still reeling from the results of the men's discipline. He does say that the other skaters are good, but without the quad was it really a competition? He did close by saying he plans to be around for the Russian Olympics - so look out Evan - if he is still around - and the rest of the pack.

Here is an interview Evan just did,
    He said he is very disappointed by Plushy's behavior and comments.

And says he is not sure if he will go to Worlds or not yet.
    I still wish Ryan Bradley would get to go just so he could drop two Quads on Plushy and stop his whining.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-ska...oser+plushenko

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast